Monday, October 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: Monday, October 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nightreign »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
JonathanHenke wrote:Somehow, I thought "appropriately" referred to the first CD mass-produced in the USA (rather than the first CD mass-produced in the USA). And I couldn't make any sense of that hint.
That might be it too; I didn't parse the clue the way the writers intended.
While I was here thinking it was the first CD mass-produced in the United States. I went with Material Girl (yes, I know it's not an album, but at least it came out in 1984). It took me a minute or so after FJ! to figure out how Born in the USA fit the "appropriately" part of the clue. Then again, I'm about as bad at 80s music as I am good at current music, so.

I got the King Tut DD, but no other Lach Trash.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

The champ seems good to make the tournament. Missing both dds and still a lock.
Too bad for tom..seemed like a good player, but took too many chances, credit to the champ for putting that pressure.
I took mass produced to mean 'eruption' by van halen. Yeah yeah.
Last edited by doihavetoreally on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

econgator wrote:Swing and a miss. All I could come up with was Thriller, which was two years too early.
Same here.

I thought of Like a Virgin during the 30 seconds, which it turns out was at least from the right year, but that seemed a little inappropriate.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

All I could think of was "Thriller," even though I knew it was too early.
Last edited by thenextofken on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

econgator wrote:Swing and a miss. All I could come up with was Thriller, which was two years too early.
Same here. I focused on "mass-produced" and didn't think of another CD.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Instaget FJ, and some redemption for going winless in the 1980s music LL. :D (I'm very strong in pop music from that decade; it's all the other stuff the smiths threw in that gave me fits).

Beth may have gotten away with one; I heard her say "tumeric" for "turmeric" in the curry category, leaving out an "r." Not that it mattered in the end, although I fully expected a reversal.

For the $2,000 clue in the "national labs" category, I said "supercollider" rather than just "collider." Judges?

I would have been very tempted to go TDD on that Shakesepeare DD, despite the game situation -- and would have gotten it right.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

hbomb1947 wrote:Beth may have gotten away with one; I heard her say "tumeric" for "turmeric" in the curry category, leaving out an "r." Not that it mattered in the end, although I fully expected a reversal.
I was thinking the exact same thing!

But I just looked it up, and apparently the r-less pronunciation is a legitimate alternate pronunciation.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/turmeric
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

dinghammer wrote:
Same here.

I thought of Like a Virgin during the 30 seconds, which it turns out was at least from the right year, but that seemed a little inappropriate.
I knew Thriller was earlier than 1984 but then I started thinking there was a follow-up MJ album that came out around that time. After seeing TPH post, I realize I was thinking of Bad and that was a few years later than '84. Anyway, I gave up on MJ and settled on Ghost Busters (soundtrack), knowing it was hardly likely.
doihavetoreally wrote: The champ seems good to make the tournament. Missing both dds and still a lock.

I don't think he has 'the right stuff' to make it. For one thing he seems too gun shy on DDs. And I believe he benefited greatly from Tom shooting himself in the foot in this game.
MitchO wrote:I'm gonna throw a random observation out there, but I suspect Tom was FREEZING. He was doing that "running his hands down the wire" trick on every buzz, and putting the buzzer down and rubbing his hands a lot. He seemed generally uncomfortable, which would be a shame for your dream opportunity of being on the show.

I think that was simply nervous figiting. I can't recall if a contestant has previously posted on this board that the stage is overly air conditioned.
It seemed pretty obvious that Tom was quite frustrated with himself at the end of DJ.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I just know that "My incorrect guess on Monday was Thriller" will be a poll option. My first thought was Ghostbusters, but then I thought, "Well, Thriller came out in '84" (it didn't). If I'd been on the set and didn't get Born in the USA, I'd be driven out of New Jersey for good. I'd spend half my life just covering up that mistake.
I had 38 right and one neg for $29,000. That neg was the same as TPH's about the commercial. I've seen that ESPN commercial many times and still whiffed. I really expected No-wit-zki to get reversed (same with too-mer-ic), but the judges know what they're doing.
Last edited by sarisson on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoping for a third lap
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Category 13 wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote: The champ seems good to make the tournament. Missing both dds and still a lock.

I don't think he has 'the right stuff' to make it. For one thing he seems too gun shy on DDs. And I believe he benefited greatly from Tom shooting himself in the foot in this game.
Wagering aside, Sean is also 1 for 4 on his DD's (including missing a second-row DD tonight), a trend that presents an additional obstacle to his winning at least two more games.

Of course, with the exception of a Matt Jackson type who's dominant off the bat, it's silly to say after two games that a player "seems good to make the" TOC.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
brick

Post by brick »

doihavetoreally wrote:The champ seems good to make the tournament. Missing both dds and still a lock.
Did he miss 3 DDs? I thought he did, and with significant wagers each time. And still a lock. Impressive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

brick wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:The champ seems good to make the tournament. Missing both dds and still a lock.
Did he miss 3 DDs? I thought he did, and with significant wagers each time. And still a lock. Impressive.
He got the one in the first round right.
WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon »

Never would've gotten that FJ! I came up with Thriller at first, realized that didn't satisfy the "appropriately" TOM at all, and I decided "appropriately" referred to CDs replacing vinyl records, so I put Video Killed the Radio Star, though it turns out that's even further from 1984. Plus calling it a "blockbuster" would be somewhat of a stretch, but that was all I could come up with. :lol:
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

hbomb1947 wrote:Wagering aside, Sean is also 1 for 4 on his DD's (including missing a second-row DD tonight), a trend that presents an additional obstacle to his winning at least two more games.

Of course, with the exception of a Matt Jackson type who's dominant off the bat, it's silly to say after two games that a player "seems good to make the" TOC.
Of course it's silly to say almost any player "seems good to make the TOC" after a whopping 2 games.

It's also silly to think that a player being 25% on a whopping 4 DD's is any significant indication of future performance.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I vaguely rationalized "Thriller" as being "appropriately" because they were thrilled to sell that many CD's.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

WilliamPorygon wrote:Never would've gotten that FJ! I came up with Thriller at first, realized that didn't satisfy the "appropriately" TOM at all, and I decided "appropriately" referred to CDs replacing vinyl records, so I put Video Killed the Radio Star, though it turns out that's even further from 1984. Plus calling it a "blockbuster" would be somewhat of a stretch, but that was all I could come up with. :lol:
Plus, "Video Killed the Radio Star" was a single, not an album.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MitchO wrote:Oh and did Alex make the Pepe Le Pew reference before the category was finished? I mean, it's not like anyone was guess Pepe on that last clue, but he effectively did eliminate it as a choice...
I wondered if maybe there'd been a mix-up and Alex was making an in-joke to the audience. Maybe the original clue was for Pepe Le Pew and something went wrong in the way it got revealed and/or read and it had to be thrown out. So they subbed in Michigan J. Frog and Alex cracked wise about it. It's a theory anyway.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,400
41 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Michigan J. Frog, discovery of King Tut's tomb (DD) (and yes, Jennifer, I did the dance), Titus Andronicus (DD)

I wonder if I'd have gotten FJ right were it not for a Born in the USA question (that I missed) during the '80s Music mini-league. It's easy to forget these days just how gigantic an album that was.
sarisson wrote:If I'd been on the set and didn't get Born in the USA, I'd be driven out of New Jersey for good. I'd spend half my life just covering up that mistake.
I see what you did there.
sarisson wrote:I really expected No-wit-zki to get reversed (same with too-mer-ic), but the judges know what they're doing.
They're lenient on foreign pronunciations as it is, but a significant number of NBA commentators pronounce his name that way as well. And it's proper pronunciation according to English phonetic rules, which seems to always be acceptable.
Sprinkles are for winners.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Leander wrote:

My first thought was Thriller, but I couldn't fit it with "appropriately", but then Born In The USA came to me.
Exactly my thought process.

I echo the thought that Tom seemed very uncomfortable. He had a good run going for a while.
davey

Post by davey »

JonathanHenke wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:Beth may have gotten away with one; I heard her say "tumeric" for "turmeric" in the curry category, leaving out an "r." Not that it mattered in the end, although I fully expected a reversal.
I was thinking the exact same thing!

But I just looked it up, and apparently the r-less pronunciation is a legitimate alternate pronunciation.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/turmeric
Never heard that before, I was irritated she wasn't docked...Also irritating that Tom, when given three blanks also enunciated by Alex, says "then beggars would ride..."

My only problem with the FJ was that I started to doubt that Born in the USA was the name of the album and not just a single. But in the end I knew it had to be...
Last edited by davey on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.