Thursday, November 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Artists' Subjects

The woman seen here, who was born in North Carolina and died in England in 1881, was the subject of this painting.

[someone else add the pic?]
Spoiler
What is Whistler's Mother/Arrangement in Grey in Black? Andrew had both names; everyone else was correct with the former.
Elliot Yates: $3,600+$3,600

Andrew Haringer: $17,200+$2,200=$19,400

Kerry Greene: $18,000+$4,000=now a finalist with $22,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, November 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

Surprising results today. I predicted Elliot to come out the winner, but got the core opposite instead. Kerry winning was no big surprise, but I was particularly impressed by Andrew for managing a lot of correct answers and getting the #1 wildcard spot. Elliot had a tough time today, and it showed from the very beginning. It was still enjoyable to see him get out of the hole by the end of the first round, and then manage to keep his perfect FJ record. Tomorrow should be the best match of the week, as I'm very much looking forward to Alex Jacob and Michael Bilow squaring off, with Scott in between them. This has been an exceptionally great tournament so far.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Exciting contest between Kerry and Andrew. Props to Eliot for being a good sport too.

And after three FJs that left me shrugging, they gave us one that I honestly could have figured out without the picture. She's even wearing the same headwear for cripes sake.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

zdude69closedrofl wrote:Surprising results today. I predicted Elliot to come out the winner, but got the core opposite instead. Kerry winning was no big surprise, but I was particularly impressed by Andrew for managing a lot of correct answers and getting the #1 wildcard spot. Elliot had a tough time today, and it showed from the very beginning. It was still enjoyable to see him get out of the hole by the end of the first round, and then manage to keep his perfect FJ record. Tomorrow should be the best match of the week, as I'm very much looking forward to Alex Jacob and Michael Bilow squaring off, with Scott in between them. This has been an exceptionally great tournament so far.
Well, prior to Kerry's gaming, before the tournament, she hasn't missed one final right until her last game where Chris Hurt won, but also lost to Alex Jacob, who's in this tournament also. Not to mention, Kerry's coryat was higher than both Elliot and Andrew. I was probably hoping for Elliot to make it only because he's a good competitor to get perfect FJs, and also able to show his other game show experience to be put to the test. It should have been his edge, but unfortunately, we didn't get to see it that much.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

grindcore wrote:Exciting contest between Kerry and Andrew. Props to Eliot for being a good sport too.

And after three FJs that left me shrugging, they gave us one that I honestly could have figured out without the picture. She's even wearing the same headwear for cripes sake.
Eliot did have a good time up there and did battle back to finish with a respectable score.

FJ was pretty simple. My precalls were that and American Gothic and it was too early for the latter so I was done with time to spare.

Glad Kerry won to give us old coots some bragging rights.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
zdude69closedrofl wrote:Surprising results today. I predicted Elliot to come out the winner, but got the core opposite instead. Kerry winning was no big surprise, but I was particularly impressed by Andrew for managing a lot of correct answers and getting the #1 wildcard spot. Elliot had a tough time today, and it showed from the very beginning. It was still enjoyable to see him get out of the hole by the end of the first round, and then manage to keep his perfect FJ record. Tomorrow should be the best match of the week, as I'm very much looking forward to Alex Jacob and Michael Bilow squaring off, with Scott in between them. This has been an exceptionally great tournament so far.
Well, prior to Kerry's gaming, before the tournament, she hasn't missed one final right until her last game where Chris Hurt won, but also lost to Alex Jacob, who's in this tournament also. Not to mention, Kerry's coryat was higher than both Elliot and Andrew. I was probably hoping for Elliot to make it only because he's a good competitor to get perfect FJs, and also able to show his other game show experience to be put to the test. It should have been his edge, but unfortunately, we didn't get to see it that much.
True, Kerry and Elliot both were very consistent when it comes to FJ. Their coryats were all pretty close together, so I figured it'd be close (apparently close between Andrew and Kerry only). One correction though, Kerry never played Alex Jacob, Alex's run started the day after Kerry's loss. I expected Elliot to win for the same reasons that you listed, but I guess it's not always everyone's day. Still I like this tournament a lot so far, highly competitive play along with a few surprises.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Ooooooooooooooooooooo I took the negbait and said Welland Canal.

I wish one of the contestants had omitted the "What is" from the "'What' Movies" category for the ones whose answers constituted questions by themselves. It is so cool when a contestant does that.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

New Guinea and Philippines? Holy negbait Batman! Although had the contestants taken the clues in order, this probably wouldn't be near as nasty after the Oahu and Hawaii clue.

Regarding the Seward DD, had the clue asked simply who was Secretary of State in 1867 it would have been cake. But throw in his full term in addition to Hawaii and another country and she quickly got lost in the gibberish.

Yet more silly wagering from those with tons of money heading into FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Judges: Would "sweetness" be acceptable for "sugar" in "CALIFORNIA WINES $400"? Would Malala Yousafzai's first name be sufficient for that clue in the "PEOPLE" category?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Bamaman wrote:
grindcore wrote:FJ was pretty simple. My precalls were that and American Gothic and it was too early for the latter so I was done with time to spare.
American Gothic was my precall, expecting some sort of reference to the author's dentist. But this was easy as well.

I spent most of the 30 seconds trying to remember the real title but only got out "Something about gray and black"
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Another good game; Kerry won and it looks to me like Andrew's score will be good enough for him to advance to the semifinals as well. I had 35 correct responses including five triple stumpers: New Guinea to Luzon, Target, Schlitz, Hawaii to Oahu, and Muse. Instaget FJ.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

floridagator wrote:Ooooooooooooooooooooo I took the negbait and said Welland Canal.

I wish one of the contestants had omitted the "What is" from the "'What' Movies" category for the ones whose answers constituted questions by themselves. It is so cool when a contestant does that.
Didn't someone bring this up a few days ago? It doesn't really work, though, does it? If you just answer "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" because it's cool to do that, on Jeopardy! you're talking about a movie called "Eating Gilbert Grape".
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

I thought the catch in FJ was going to be not calling it Whistler's Mother.

What a fun game! I really like when you can tell that, despite how focused and intense they are, the players are still having a good time.
Be that as it may, Alex, those people have never been in my kitchen.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Golf wrote:New Guinea and Philippines? Holy negbait Batman! Although had the contestants taken the clues in order, this probably wouldn't be near as nasty after the Oahu and Hawaii clue.
How is that negbait? Alex clearly explained at the start of the round that you had to name the two islands.

I did think the very first clue of the game was neg-baity (filtration / pasteurization).

Today's FJ was easy-peasy. I won't quite say it was kid's-week level, but it was way easier than yesterday's, which is really unfair to yesterday's contestants -- especially to Jennifer, who with an easier FJ would currently be second in the wild-card standings (assuming of course that she didn't flub the FJ). As discussed in another thread on this board, the writers should really strive to have all of the QF FJ's in a given tournament be of roughly comparable difficulty.

Congrats to Kerry and Andrew. It was also fun watching Elliot, and it's a shame that first he dug himself into such a deep hole, and then he couldn't get in on the buzzer. I hadn't seen his original run, but it was apparent why I'd heard that he was an enjoyable contestant.

ETA: Like dhkendall, I too wondered whether "Malala's" first name would have been sufficient on the clue asking about her.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

molly427 wrote:I thought the catch in FJ was going to be not calling it Whistler's Mother.

What a fun game! I really like when you can tell that, despite how focused and intense they are, the players are still having a good time.
I said the same thing to my son - "The real name is 'Arrangement in Grey and Black.' That will be the catch!" But then they accepted "Whistler's Mother."

I thought it was a great game. I am so surprised by the high second-place finishers! This is a high bar for Wild Card spots!

Jill
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Golf wrote:New Guinea and Philippines? Holy negbait Batman! Although had the contestants taken the clues in order, this probably wouldn't be near as nasty after the Oahu and Hawaii clue.
How is that negbait? Alex clearly explained at the start of the round that you had to name the two islands.
Yes, I watched the explanation same as you. But at game speed with most of the answers being simply names of countries, it seemed natural to simply go with Philippines instead of Luzon.

Heck, 90% of the time when somebody here screams negbait I laugh and wonder what the hell they were thinking. This time seemed very different from my point of view.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Golf wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Yes, I watched the explanation same as you. But at game speed with most of the answers being simply names of countries, it seemed natural to simply go with Philippines instead of Luzon.
Hmmm... I must have been out of the room at some time during that category, then. I do not recall a single country (other than Ireland, which shares its name with the island it is part of) being a correct response.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Golf wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
IIRC, the very first response given in the category was (correctly) the North and South Islands of New Zealand. Moreover, a TOC participant should expect to have to undertake a multi-layered thought process on some clues. Like, "Oh, Manila = Philippines. Now, which island of that archipelago is it on?"
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide