The Rankest Thread Imaginable

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: The Rankest Thread Imaginable

Post by alietr »

fritzk3 wrote:What's the usual rank for someone who has received the call, and a date, to attend a taping (to be a contestant) but has not yet attended the taping? Is it presumptuous to already request "Jeopardy! Contestant" as a rank?
There's no usual one, although you're welcome to make one up if you'd like. Or you could just hang loose a bit.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

fritzk3 wrote:What's the usual rank for someone who has received the call, and a date, to attend a taping (to be a contestant) but has not yet attended the taping? Is it presumptuous to already request "Jeopardy! Contestant" as a rank?
That's the beauty of this thread, you can call yourself whatever you want (pending admin approval, of course). There's lots of unique ranks around here.

Good luck at your taping! May your run be so long that it will prevent me (who hasn't even had an audition yet) from taping because I "know" you from the board!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
fritzk3
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by fritzk3 »

Thanks for the wishes. For now, let's go with "Destination: Culver City" as my status.

Quick question... and forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask it... but should I be maintaining lurker status on this board until I tape? I don't want to somehow render myself ineligible; I just figured coming here and participating was a good idea to prepare myself for the show.
makeabeilein
Jeopardy! Champion/Second-Best Performer

Post by makeabeilein »

Hello!
As my appearance is taped but unaired, can I have a "Canned Contestant" rank? Thanks!
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

makeabeilein wrote:Hello!
As my appearance is taped but unaired, can I have a "Canned Contestant" rank? Thanks!
That's a pretty good one. When will you air?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Okay, which one of us is gonna call Sony and ask if they have makeabeilein in a can?

I wonder if they even know if they do at this point.
OCSam
makeabeilein

Post by makeabeilein »

Winchell Factor wrote:
January 8th!
I'll be looking forward to your rank update on Boxing Day; I imagine we may have an acquaintance in common.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

makeabeilein wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
January 8th!
I'll be looking forward to your rank update on Boxing Day; I imagine we may have an acquaintance in common.
I dare say we might! I will save any further discussion for later. Anything I start to say right now, I end up deciding it isn't cryptic enough.

I will be away on Jan. 8, but my TiVo is programmed, and I look forward to seeing you play when I return.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

fritzk3 wrote:Thanks for the wishes. For now, let's go with "Destination: Culver City" as my status.

Quick question... and forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask it... but should I be maintaining lurker status on this board until I tape? I don't want to somehow render myself ineligible; I just figured coming here and participating was a good idea to prepare myself for the show.
This is a good place to start thinking about preparing, but to really prepare you should go straight to the J-Archive and review games going back at least 3 years. There's a strong pattern of repetition in clues that recur over a fairly long period or interval. Some clues appear as frequently as quarterly and others are annual or biennial or longer recurring clues. Go back 3 years to capture most of the recurring material and buff it up. Review current events and since you know your taping date will be ?6-8 weeks ahead of air date, the clues will be tailored somewhat to the season (a Jan taping might be expected to have clues about St Patrick's day, or President's day, or GW Birthday (1732 formerly 1731, after British adoption of the Gregorian calendar by Pope Greg XIII, etc), Abe Lincoln birthday (12 Apr, 1809 the same date of birth as Darwin). Most multi-day champs have used J-Archive to study; TOC champ Ben Ingram specifically advised to do so.

TBVH, I wouldn't sweat anonymous interactions on a public blog page. Unless you spoiler it and post your name and game outcomes, which is verboten; may we solicit moderators' opinions?
IMHO, Keep on lurking!

http://mentalfloss.com/article/54633/bo ... had-common

Do get a copy of this book and read it cover-to-cover at least 3 times, or at a minimum go to the study website (be cautious, it's fairly accurate but some glaring errors appear, such as; "First female Surgeon General" giving Jocelyn Elders incorrectly, rather than Antonia Novello, nonetheless it's a darn good study guide and quick reference:

http://www.jeopardytrivia.com/categories/
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
deling
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by deling »

I taped last month, and appear in tonight's (12/30/14) show. Can I get a stock "Jeopardy Contestant" title? Wish I had taken the plunge and registered sooner!
makeabeilein

Post by makeabeilein »

Spoiler
Can I graduate to "Jeopardy! Champion/Second-Best Performer," please?
Last edited by makeabeilein on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

makeabeilein wrote:Can I graduate to "Jeopardy! Champion/Second-Best Performer," please?
LOL! Glad to see you're taking my comment in stride! (Wasn't meant as a slight against you - hey, if anything it proves it takes a boardie to beat a boardie - but was just my honest assessment of the game).

However, the standing rule around here is that we usually wait a few days to change ranks to something like "Jeopardy! Champ" to prevent spoilers.

Once the moratorium period is up, though, I'll wholeheartedly endorse your change to those very words!!! I don't mind being taken down pegs.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TellTheOwlsImHome
Camping out in the Audition Line

Post by TellTheOwlsImHome »

Hi!

Can I get a "Camping out in the Audition Line?"

Also, any idea when the new round of online auditions appear?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TellTheOwlsImHome wrote:Hi!

Can I get a "Camping out in the Audition Line?"

Also, any idea when the new round of online auditions appear?
They online test should have been last week, but it seems to have been delayed due to recent hacking of the Sony website.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Since my time in the pool has come and gone (for the moment), can I have "At the Clam Shack"?
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

I can't believe it's been so long since I posted here! But I come back with good news . . . could I please have the "Jeopardy! Contestant" rank? You can watch me on March 11 :D
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

kristinsausville wrote:I can't believe it's been so long since I posted here! But I come back with good news . . . could I please have the "Jeopardy! Contestant" rank? You can watch me on March 11 :D
OMG, congrats, Kristin! Hope you do just as well as Justin (if not better, so you can win the inevitable debates that must come up at Chez Sausville about who has the bigger brain.)

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

dhkendall wrote:
kristinsausville wrote:I can't believe it's been so long since I posted here! But I come back with good news . . . could I please have the "Jeopardy! Contestant" rank? You can watch me on March 11 :D
OMG, congrats, Kristin! Hope you do just as well as Justin (if not better, so you can win the inevitable debates that must come up at Chez Sausville about who has the bigger brain.)
Thank you! That is a very tall order but we'll see what happens.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

Best of luck. I'll be watching. Your husband put a whippin' on me for his game 5 victory. I'm still thinking about Jon Voight and Agelina Jolie.
Le Flaneur
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

LeFlaneur wrote:
Best of luck. I'll be watching. Your husband put a whippin' on me for his game 5 victory. I'm still thinking about Jon Voight and Agelina Jolie.
Thanks -- you were a great competitor in that game! Gave him a good run for it.