The Rankest Thread Imaginable

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rschumac12
The Storm from Colorado

Re: The Rankest Thread Imaginable

Post by rschumac12 »

I was going to suggest a different one, but I guess now because of the silly facebook poll I'll have to go with "The Storm from Colorado". ;)
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

elmwood wrote:I am so happy to have found this board. I used to frequent the one on the Sony site until it went down. Nice to see so many familiar names here. I was a Jeopardy contestant (a one and done) back in 2006.
I like your avatar!
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Bamaman wrote:
MFalk wrote:4/3 Spoiler:
Spoiler
May I please be "KJL #152" (or whatever the right number would be)?
ETA: Sorry for the unmarked spoiler.
Spoiler
He won 74 games and was second in a two player FJ in his 75th game. That makes 149. He was second ahead of Jerome in the UTOC and second ahead of Brad in the Watson games. You were second to him in your game, so that would indeed make you KJL152
Fwiw -
I was second to Tom Cubbage in my BotD game. Bob was third. BUT - I didn't beat Bob - Tom beat us both.
As of now, there are 148 KJL +2 = 150. I don't think Brad lost to Ken either.
It's not as though Ross Perot lost to George H W Bush in 1992.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

JyV92 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
He won 74 games and was second in a two player FJ in his 75th game. That makes 149. He was second ahead of Jerome in the UTOC and second ahead of Brad in the Watson games. You were second to him in your game, so that would indeed make you KJL152
Fwiw -
I was second to Tom Cubbage in my BotD game. Bob was third. BUT - I didn't beat Bob - Tom beat us both.
Actually, rightly or wrongly, I've heard that very verbiage used. I was reading the Wikipedia article once about a Canadian politician who ran for a fringe party, and they mentioned that said person lost to the first placer (fringe was something like sixth). Reading that, I (correctly) assumed that the "lost to" listed was the first place winner.

Besides, if you're assuming there were 148 KJLs in his regular run, that means two KJLs per game, meaning second and third both lost to Ken, you're taking both sides now, Jerome. ;)

tl; dr: I agree with Bamaman
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

dhkendall wrote:
JyV92 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Fwiw -
Actually, rightly or wrongly, I've heard that very verbiage used. I was reading the Wikipedia article once about a Canadian politician who ran for a fringe party, and they mentioned that said person lost to the first placer (fringe was something like sixth). Reading that, I (correctly) assumed that the "lost to" listed was the first place winner.

Besides, if you're assuming there were 148 KJLs in his regular run, that means two KJLs per game, meaning second and third both lost to Ken, you're taking both sides now, Jerome. ;)

tl; dr: I agree with Bamaman
Jerome, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your point is that for the games in which KJ came in second, the third place player should not count as a KJL. Thus, the third place player in his 75th regular game, Jerome in the UTOC, and Brad in the Watson game should not count as KJLs. I agree with that, and I don't think anything dhk says has anything to do with your point. Jerome has no issue with counting third placers as KJLs, as long as Ken finished first.

Bill Clinton was 1st in the 1992 election, George HW Bush 2nd, and Ross Perot 3rd. There's no question about whether or not both Bush and Perot lost to Clinton. The question is whether or not one should say Perot lost to Bush.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lieph82 wrote: Jerome, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your point is that for the games in which KJ came in second, the third place player should not count as a KJL. Thus, the third place player in his 75th regular game, Jerome in the UTOC, and Brad in the Watson game should not count as KJLs. I agree with that, and I don't think anything dhk says has anything to do with your point. Jerome has no issue with counting third placers as KJLs, as long as Ken finished first.
Ah, my apologies then, I was (mis)reading it the way you thought I (mis)read it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

I don't see the inconsistency.

Bob Verini lost to Tom Cubbage ALONE; he didn't lose to me. we both lost. If you like were both TCL (insert numbers)

I lost to Brad.
When Brad came in 3rd, the Watson game, he hadn't lost to Ken. They BOTH lost to Watson, they were WL#1 and WL#2 (at least on air).

Ken won 74 games. Yes, there were two losers per game.

Ken is NZL#1 (or NZL#2).
He is Brad Rutter Loser BRL# (10 in regular run, 6 in first ToC, then... you do the math.)

OK wrote this a few hours ago - just saw that i didn't send it and that lieph82 made the point more succinctly. Thanks. Here it is anyway.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

and now we're all happy again. Thanks dhk.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

JyV92 wrote:
Ken won 74 games. Yes, there were two losers per game.
I think the proper term is "non-winner".
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

aren't Maggie and Glenn non-winners as well?

(hi michael)
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Can I change my "TOC SF" to "Decade Battler and Mustache Maker," please? I'd add my position in the Sisterhood, but that doesn't exist, right?
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

As of yesterday, I can officially have "Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool" as my rank.

Edit: So, I formally request a change in rank to the previously mentioned "Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool".
Last edited by CrunchyTaco on Sat May 03, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Dr. J wrote:Can I change my "TOC SF" to "Decade Battler and Mustache Maker," please? I'd add my position in the Sisterhood, but that doesn't exist, right?
What doesn't exist?
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Can I change my "TOC SF" to "Decade Battler and Mustache Maker," please? I'd add my position in the Sisterhood, but that doesn't exist, right?
What doesn't exist?
*taps nose meaningfully*
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

sarah0114 wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
What doesn't exist?
*taps nose meaningfully*
Your nose doesn't exist ...?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
What doesn't exist?
*taps nose meaningfully*
Your nose doesn't exist ...?
At least she doesn't smell.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:At least she doesn't smell.
Not like the thread. Boy, that's rank!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Given the revival of that outchange debacle, I'd like to claim Harbinger of the Outchange until and unless Julia shows up.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

NYCScribbler wrote:Given the revival of that outchange debacle, I'd like to claim Harbinger of the Outchange until and unless Julia shows up.
You could still be the Harbinger. Stephanie can be the Bellwether. Julia can be the Dominatrix.

I'd suggest you all dress up in leather and Spandex and go around fighting ignorance and sexism, but I worry that would make me a candidate for re-education. Then I worry that it wouldn't....
Skipper643
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Skipper643 »

May I have the rank "Swimming in the Jeopardy! pool" added to my profile? Had my audition on 5/31/14 in DC.

Thanks,
Skip