Thursday, November 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jbreynolds
Contributor

Re: Thursday, November 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jbreynolds »

periwinkle wrote:the Count of Monte Crisco
"You'd like it. It's about a prison break."
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

JonathanHenke wrote:
econgator wrote:Flipped a coin and it came down on the wrong side, but Matt and Kerry had it, too, so I don't feel so bad.
I flipped a coin, too — my coin had the man in the iron mask on one side and the phantom of the opera on the other.
Mine, too. Some comfort in knowing I would've been wrong in either instance - head slap averted LOL!

I expected the first TDD. The second, I audibly gasped and swore - only my furry friends were there to hear me. I love it when I can get excited about a game. Nothing like that since Roger Craig.
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

BobF wrote:Although I said Curt, I thought Frank was acceptable as well.
Except that the category was AUTO-somthingorother WORDS — words about themselves. "Nasal", for example, is pronounced nasally. And "curt" is a short, abrupt little word. But the word "frank" isn't especially honest.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

stevo4212 wrote:...Terrible clippers game as well. Did you see them blow a 41-point first quarter? Whats up with that new logo too? I also was not fond of ucla colors. They are supposed to wear bruin blue and gold to match the cheerleaders. They wouldnt have lost to washington state with those uniforms. Lol. What are those black and yellow things? I didnt recognize them. What are they georgia tech or something?
The Clippers were painful to watch down the stretch last night. The new logo will take some getting used to. On TV I've seen it truncated at the top and bottom and it looks like two surfboards on either side of the LAC, which is kinda appropriate.

Oh, a jump to college football. No, it wasn't a great look for the Bruins. I find third jerseys pretty gimmicky, anyway.
OCSam
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

1. My jaw also dropped at the astonishing speed at which the game changed with those two DDs. What stunning boldness! I don't wear hats, but I'm going to go out and buy one so that I can doff it to Alex.

2. After the second DD, Alex did seem to run out of gas a bit. But at that point he was several miles ahead, so who cares?

3. I also got dinged for itinerant. Dang.

4. FJ? I read that clue and thought it was just too easy for the ToC finals. I thought "how could it be anything but The Count of Monte Cristo?" I was astonished to see it stump all three. As someone else here has pointed out, I thought the face of The Man In The Iron Mask was never revealed, kind of the point of the whole story. I never thought of that option as I was thinking about the clue, but I'm sure that if I had, I would have rejected it and stayed with the Count.

5. North Pole or not, Christmas is the time when Satan gets a lot of letters from dyslexic kids.

6. It's hard to imagine that even Matt can come back from that far behind in game two. But if anyone can, I imagine he will find a way. I think he knows how to be audacious as well in capitalizing on the DDs. Looking forward to a great finish!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

JonathanHenke wrote:"Nasal", for example, is pronounced nasally.
It is?

That always baffles me when people say that ñ is a "nasal N". Isn't it more accurately a "ny" sound?

I got lucky on "vagrant" since I don't think I recognize the word "itinerant".
BobF

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
JonathanHenke wrote:"Nasal", for example, is pronounced nasally.
It is?
When Matt says it as the question, it is. :-)
Last edited by BobF on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

PSA: Jeopardy! posted a post-game chat video on twitter (at least twitter, not sure about FB) and there are MAJOR EXTREME SPOILERS at the end. DO NOT WATCH if you do not want the results to be spoiled. I suspect they will take it down soon anyway.
BobF

Post by BobF »

John Boy wrote: 6. It's hard to imagine that even Matt can come back from that far behind in game two. But if anyone can, I imagine he will find a way. I think he knows how to be audacious as well in capitalizing on the DDs. Looking forward to a great finish!
I suspect Alex and Matt will be doing the Forrest bounce tonight. Alex as a defensive maneuver, Matt as an offensive one.

I imagine Kerry is just happy to have made it this far. (Though neither she nor Matt look happy when they're playing.)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
brick

Post by brick »

I missed the first half of the first round. It sounds like it was really worth seeing. I think my neighbor DVR's the whole week. Time to bake the neighbor a pie.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Finals: game 2 outlook [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

BobF wrote:
John Boy wrote: 6. It's hard to imagine that even Matt can come back from that far behind in game two. But if anyone can, I imagine he will find a way. I think he knows how to be audacious as well in capitalizing on the DDs. Looking forward to a great finish!
I suspect Alex and Matt will be doing the Forrest bounce tonight. Alex as a defensive maneuver, Matt as an offensive one.
Matt simply needs to hit all three of the DDs and have a significant amount to bet on each one (and of course get them correct). It's not as far from the realm of possibility as one might think. Even if he doesn't find the J round DD, a couple of five figure wagers in the DJ round can put him right back in the thick of it.
He can't afford to be timid if the opportunity comes.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

jbreynolds wrote:
periwinkle wrote:the Count of Monte Crisco
"You'd like it. It's about a prison break."
:lol:

That typo was not on purpose, but I did see the movie this year for the first time (what was I waiting for? Such a great movie) and maybe it was subconscious.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

squizzle wrote:PSA: Jeopardy! posted a post-game chat video on twitter (at least twitter, not sure about FB) and there are MAJOR EXTREME SPOILERS at the end. DO NOT WATCH if you do not want the results to be spoiled. I suspect they will take it down soon anyway.
It looks like they ran the wrong one since Day 1's chat was behind the podiums. Repeat warning on spoilers.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

dhkendall wrote:
squizzle wrote:PSA: Jeopardy! posted a post-game chat video on twitter (at least twitter, not sure about FB) and there are MAJOR EXTREME SPOILERS at the end. DO NOT WATCH if you do not want the results to be spoiled. I suspect they will take it down soon anyway.
It looks like they ran the wrong one since Day 1's chat was behind the podiums. Repeat warning on spoilers.
SO much effort trying to avoid spoilers and then I get 'em from J! itself on the very last match. :(
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Just say "spoilers", please. Once you start elaborating on how major and extreme the spoilers are, you're part of the problem.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

periwinkle wrote:I had CoMC - thought about Iron Mask, but since I wasn't sure if he ever took it off, and I knew the Count of Monte Crisco was imprisoned in a tower for a very long time, went with that.

I actually read some of that Judy Blume book this year, decided it wasn't my cup of tea (I hadn't taken to her last adult book either), and still took about the entire length of the DD to remember it. I'd read a couple interviews with her as well, and my local library kept promoting that she was visiting to speak and they were giving away copies of the book. Oy. "What is that, I've heard of it, I think I may have read it, or read an interview about it, why can't I remember...."
To, Judy Blume is Pavlovian for "contemporary kiddie lit author who is more recently known for adult fare." I had never heard of the book in question, but I figured it had to be her.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Finals: game 2 outlook [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote:
BobF wrote:
Matt simply needs to hit all three of the DDs and have a significant amount to bet on each one (and of course get them correct). It's not as far from the realm of possibility as one might think. Even if he doesn't find the J round DD, a couple of five figure wagers in the DJ round can put him right back in the thick of it.
He can't afford to be timid if the opportunity comes.
To put it in terms of actual numbers instead of just saying he needs to hit the DDs and bet big: in order to still have a chance entering FJ, Matt needs to have at least half Alex's score plus $13,300. To have the advantage in FJ, Matt needs to lead Alex by more than $13,300. To have a lock entering FJ, Matt needs to have more than double Alex's score plus $26,600. Matt did achieve "double an opponent plus more than $26,600" a few times in his regular games, but of course, none of those opponents was Alex.

Note: looking through his regular games for his pre-FJ leads, I noticed that this isn't the first time Matt has missed a clue connected to The Count of Monte Cristo; see the $5 DD in this game.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

The only reason why I don't follow their Twitter account.
LairdM
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by LairdM »

DadofTwins wrote:
floridagator wrote:Alex is the man! Can he really lose with a $26600 lead going into tomorrow? What is the most anyone has had after game 1 and then lost?
Here are 2 big ones from the Teen Tournament:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1989

Meryl Federman, down 25,000 to 0 going into Day 2, controlled her own destiny going into Final and won by $1 on a triple-get.
It would be absurdly ironic if Alex loses tomorrow, because Greg Peterson, who lost that final to Meryl, is on our pub trivia team with Alex J.
brick

Post by brick »

LairdM wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:
floridagator wrote:Alex is the man! Can he really lose with a $26600 lead going into tomorrow? What is the most anyone has had after game 1 and then lost?
Here are 2 big ones from the Teen Tournament:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1989

Meryl Federman, down 25,000 to 0 going into Day 2, controlled her own destiny going into Final and won by $1 on a triple-get.
It would be absurdly ironic if Alex loses tomorrow, because Greg Peterson, who lost that final to Meryl, is on our pub trivia team with Alex J.
That would be quite a team curse!