"Originally from..." - how does that work?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: "Originally from..." - how does that work?

Post by schoe »

RichmondJ wrote:
schoe wrote:Law students could just be students, but for lawyers, what else would they be?
Well, many people wear more than one hat, and can be identified more than one way. In my case I was a member of my local planning commission, so they went with that. Others might be on boards of charities or other community organizations (e.g. Kerry with CASA of New Hampshire). There's almost always more than one word you can use to label a person. If all else fails they can specify what kind of attorney someone is, and often they can do that without even using the "a" word or the "l" word (e.g. "public defender" or "estate planner").
When I went on, the only other choices for me other than "attorney" or "lawyer" would have been things like big bank attorney, Wall Street attorney, etc., which probably would have gone over no better, so they never said anything to me other than just being an "attorney." (Since then, though, I've switched to the side of the angels, haha. :D)

Actually though, now that I think about it, in my in-person test, they asked me what I did, and I just said "attorney," and there was a noticeable pause, and I thought to myself, a one-word answer is not how to show that you're camera-ready, so I leapt in to elaborate about how I defend the big evil banks and how there are bad actors out there, but how strangely I've found how all of my clients actually were in the right (at least legally), which got a laugh. At the time, I thought it was just a test to see who would give a single-word answer and who would spin a story and show enthusiasm, but maybe they were also thinking, oh no, not another lawyer... :P
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mennoknight wrote:
rouquinne wrote:I definitely want to be introduced as "originally from Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada".

(And, totally unrelated, I can't believe mennoknight hates Ottawa - I adored living there and would go back in a heartbeat! But I'm currently living in southwestern Ontario - not exactly a hotbed of diversity and culture.)

:(
I grew up in a temperate rainforest. Ottawa's climate and me don't jive.
They don't jibe, either. ;)
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

mennoknight wrote:I grew up in a temperate rainforest. Ottawa's climate and me don't jive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZlWw8Di10
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

hbomb1947 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
BRD-98 wrote:This is actually fascinating.

Kind of on the subject: can people who hold dual citizenship (let's just say American and Chinese) try out for Jeopardy!? If so, are they allowed to be introduced as "a _______ from Guangzhou, China?" or something similar?
As Stefan and I pointed out, Vijay Balse did it. The woman from Trinidad and Tobago working at the UN that appeared early in Season 31 did it. As long as you're living in Canada or the US you can audition to be on. (I think there was even one case where between the audition and The Call a contestant moved to Kazakhstan and wasn't living in the US at all.) (And I'm not even counting Chuck Forrest's case of moving to Rome years after his regular run, ToC and other championship appearances, but before the BotD.)
And if you're going to bring up Chuck Forrest, don't forget David Madden living in Germany as an overseas student when he got The Call.
I'm an American, but living & working in China, and have been for the majority of the past 8 years. When I did the online test in 2013, I got the email for an audition. I couldn't make it due to work (you know, mid-semester isn't a good time to fly back to the States for just an audition). Turns out I couldn't make the one audition they mentioned for the summer, either, as it was the day before I had to fly back to China. Since that time, though, I've really been wondering what I might put on my info sheet & on my Howdy. I think that if I get The Call while I'm living overseas, I'd ask about putting something like "originally from Ohio, but now living in China." I didn't know about all these cases, so hopefully this doesn't preclude my ever getting The Call!
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

BobF wrote:Isn't saying Ontario and Iceland together kind of redundant? :-)
Hey! I live at latitude 43N almost on a par with northern California!

:P

And a long, long ways away from my hometown, which is up at 49.4N! Ottawa seemed mild in comparison!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

rouquinne wrote:
BobF wrote:Isn't saying Ontario and Iceland together kind of redundant? :-)
Hey! I live at latitude 43N almost on a par with northern California!

:P

And a long, long ways away from my hometown, which is up at 49.4N! Ottawa seemed mild in comparison!
Which is a long way again from my childhood home at 56.33 N (approximately the same latitude as Riga)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012