Tuesday, November 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7177, 2015-11-24

CONTESTANTS
Molly Hewitt, a writer & freelance proofreader from Hollywood, California
Julie Adair, a virtual assistant from Panama City, Florida
Laura Ashby, an attorney from Marietta, Georgia (whose 2-day cash winnings total $18,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hello, ladies. Hi, everyone. Welcome to our show. It's a couple of days early, but our champion Laura has many reasons to, uh, give thanks. She doubled her total winnings yesterday on the program. She's up over $36,000 now. And, Julie and Molly, we're delighted to have you join us today. Good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE IS THAT? (5/5)
COOKING METHODS (4/5)
NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LEADER OF THE PACK (1/3)
"OFF" WE GO (5/5)
INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Molly: 11 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Laura: 8 R, 1 W
Julie: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Molly found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Laura had $1,600, Julie had $400, and Molly was at $2,400. Molly made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,400.

NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES $400: This newspaper's 1889 first issue promised "to get the news, to publish it instantly, whether bull or bear"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Molly: $4,600
Laura: $1,400
Julie: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Molly Hewitt is a writer and a freelance proofreader. That's nice. But sewing seems to play a very important role in your life and your husband's. I want to hear about it.

Molly: Yes, my husband Michael made my wedding dress.

Alex: He sat down with fabric and a sewing machine?

Molly: Yes. Not only that, he sat down with a painting. It was a Botticelli, The Rite of Spring, and I wanted the dress that Flora's wearing in the painting. And so he figured out a design, he got the fabric. And my brother, who's an engineer, my brother Bill also is a costumer, and when he saw it, he said, "Oh, Dupioni silk!" And I know nothing about these things. But the men in my life seem to be good at sewing. [Laughs]

Alex: All right, good for them. And good for you to have those kinds of men in your life.

Alex: Julie Adair is a virtual assistant from Panama City, Florida.

Julie: Yes, sir.

Alex: What does a virtual assistant do?

Julie: Essentially, I do secretarial type jobs. I can be an executive assistant, I might do transcription. But the joy is I get to do it all from home and in my pajamas.

Alex: Good job. I like that.

Alex: Laura Ashby is an attorney. She's our champion. And used to play in rock bands?

Laura: Yes, um, when I was like, 12 years old--

Alex: Oh.

Laura: --through high school, I was--I still play guitar a little bit. But, yeah, I was playing in rock bands, writing rock music and then, uh, went into my new life as an attorney.

Alex: Mm-hmm. Do you miss the rock band playing?

Laura: A little bit. I wish you could sing songs in court or do something like that. But they frown on that, so...

Alex: Really? Hmm. How unusual.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES $1000: With the merger of a morning paper & an evening one, Marshall Field III created this Chicago newspaper
(Julie: What is the Chicago Tribune?)
(Molly: What is the Examiner)

LEADER OF THE PACK $400: Mike Holmgren left Green Bay in 1999 to coach this team in the Northwest

COOKING METHODS $1000: From the Latin for "to make soft", it's soaking food, usually fruit, in a liquid in order to infuse it with the liquid's flavor
(Molly: What is marinate?)

LEADER OF THE PACK $600: The Packers' home field is named for him, the team's coach for its first 30 seasons

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Molly: $6,600
Laura: $3,200
Julie: -$800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANCIENT NAMES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MIAMI (5/5)
WEARABLES' OTHER MEANINGS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LITERARY VILLAINS (4/5)
THE AUSSIE INVASION (4/5)
MOTTOES & SLOGANS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Laura: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Julie: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Molly: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Laura snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Laura had $5,600, Julie had $400, and Molly was at $6,200. Laura wagered $4,000.

WEARABLES' OTHER MEANINGS $1200: In blackjack it holds multiple decks of cards
(Laura: What is a suit?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Laura who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Laura had $4,000, Julie had $2,400, and Molly was at $6,200. Laura wagered $2,000.

ANCIENT NAMES $1200: Around 60 A.D. this emperor began giving public performances playing the lyre & later appeared on stage as a actor

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOTTOES & SLOGANS $2000: "Destroy foreigners" was part of the slogan of this secret Chinese organization around 1900
(Molly: What is the Tong?)

LITERARY VILLAINS $2000: Ray Bradbury wrote "The Illustrated Man" & this novel about the sinister tattoo-covered Mr. Dark

THE AUSSIE INVASION $1200: Hope at least 1 of you has a toddler! This Sydney group entertains the tots with songs like "Hot Potato" & "Fruit Salad"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Laura: $12,400
Molly: $10,600
Julie: $10,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OSCARS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Laura: Wager $8,801 to cover Molly.
Molly: You ought to wager to cover Julie, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $10,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,400 (to shut out Julie) or less than $7,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Julie). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Laura.
Julie: You ought to try wagering between $601 and $6,400. This will top a $0 wager by Molly while still beating Laura and Molly on the Triple Stumper (should Laura wager to cover Molly's doubled score and Molly wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For films of 2005 through 2012, he received nominations for Best Picture, Director, Writing & Acting

FINAL SCORES
Julie: $10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000 (Who is George Clooney?) (New champion: $20,000)
Molly: $10,600 - $1,801 = $8,799 (Who is Woody Allen?) (2nd place)
Laura: $12,400 - $8,801 = $3,599 (Who is Ben Affleck?) (3rd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Laura: $15,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Julie: $10,000, 13 R, 3 W
Molly: $8,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Laura: 20/60 = .333
Molly: 16/59 = .271
Julie: 14/58 = .241
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COOKING METHODS $800: To cook fish en papillote, you'll need this type of paper to seal in the flavor & juices
(Julie: What is wax paper?)

NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES $800: This magazine's "tested and approved" seal debuted in the December 1909 issue
(Laura: What is Consumer Reports?)

INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER $200: Bully for this man, who took a ride at an airshow in 1910, becoming the first president aloft

INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER $400: In 1910 Walter Brookins broke this altitude barrier with 895' to spare, though he didn't join the "club" there
(Alex: That's it, with less than a minute now.)

INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER $1000: This Benz partner suggested using an engine with an open-flame ignition in hydrogen airships; not such a good idea
(Julie: Who is Mercedes?)

INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER $800: Otto Lilienthal, 1848-1896, made some 2000 flights in these-- he could have really used an engine in 1896
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

ANCIENT NAMES $400: Aristotle described him as a great physician & implied he was small in stature
(Laura: Who is Plato?)

MIAMI $2000: Called a bay on the map, this large estuary separates Miami from Miami Beach

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Wall Street Journal
the Chicago Sun-Times
the Seattle Seahawks
macerate
Curly Lambeau
shoe
Nero
the Boxers
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Wiggles
George Clooney
parchment paper
Good Housekeeping
Teddy Roosevelt
mile-high
Daimler
a glider
Hippocrates
Biscayne Bay
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

The Oscars

For films of 2005 through 2012, he received nominations for best picture, director, writing & acting.
Spoiler
Who is George Clooney? Molly had Woody Allen, Laura had Ben Affleck.
Julie Adair: $10,000+$10,000=now a 1-day champion with $20,000

Molly Hewitt: $10,600-$1,801=$8,799

Laura Ashby: $12,400-$8,801=$3,599
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

It sounds like there were (at least) two acceptable responses to that
Spoiler
Tivoli
clue.
I'm curious how that would poll.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Tivoli Gardens in Italy? Next you're gonna tell me Paris is in Texas.

Well done Julie. She was taking quite a bit of bait early on and I didn't think there was much hope for her, but you can't argue with that rally. I couldn't think of anything solid for FJ, but I knew Woody Allen or Ben Affleck didn't seem right.

Classy move by Alex, scoffing when Laura (I think) went back to cooking methods after a TS in the Packers category. Dick.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I know people who are going to holler about those two Packers clues being left on the board.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

grindcore wrote:I couldn't think of anything solid for FJ, but I knew Woody Allen or Ben Affleck didn't seem right.
Nor could I. Just WAGged Eastwood.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Julie on her great comeback and win. I had 41 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Chicago Sun-Times, Seattle Seahawks, Curly Lambeau, and shoe. I also got FJ.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

80s music saved Julie! :D
brick

Post by brick »

econgator wrote:
grindcore wrote:I couldn't think of anything solid for FJ, but I knew Woody Allen or Ben Affleck didn't seem right.
I went with Eastwood too. Not with confidence. I'm irritated with myself I missed Clooney.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

brick wrote:
econgator wrote:
I went with Eastwood too. Not with confidence. I'm irritated with myself I missed Clooney.
Add me to that list.

It's seems like it's been a while since we've had Ladies' Night on Jeopardy! What are the odds that three thirty-something women (I'm assuming) -- Peak Mom range -- would TS a question about the Wiggles?
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

Between WWE and New York sports, Wheel and Jeopardy continues to be the most reliable sources of quality entertainment.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Got FJ after 3 seconds and remembering "Good Night and Good Luck" which Clooney directed. :)

Oscars is pretty wheelhouse for me so I thought that if I was in the 2nd or 3rd place position it would be very tempting to go big. Maybe she'll get some flack for it, but I'm glad that Julie went big in FJ, why not if she felt really confident about the category.

The Chicago Sun Times one was a classic (Oxford/Cambridge) 50/50 coin toss. I'm not from Chicago, but I know The Chicago Tribune and The Chicago Sun Times from Siskel and Ebert.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

When Alex said there were three plausible answers, I thought he meant Clooney, Eastwood, or Affleck (the same three among whom I debated in my mind). Allen never crossed my mind - he did have bit of a comeback lately, but I remember the clue a few years ago that said he had been nominated a dozen times or more for writing but only once for acting.
Last edited by Stanislaus Jacob on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Where (3), Cook (1), News (3), Leader (3), "OFF" (3), Blue (3)
Ancient (4), Miami (3), Wear (1), Lit (3), Aussie (5), Motto (3)

Lach Trash: "Sun-Times", "Seattle Seahawks", "Lambeau Field", "Boxers", "Wiggles"

I know I wanted those 2 Packers clues, floridagator.

I thought I had a Instaget with Clint Eastwood.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Ryno wrote:
The Chicago Sun Times one was a classic (Oxford/Cambridge) 50/50 coin toss. I'm not from Chicago, but I know The Chicago Tribune and The Chicago Sun Times from Siskel and Ebert.
The TOM was that it was a merger of two pre-existing papers (hence the hyphenated name), but no one picked up on that.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Ryno wrote:The Chicago Sun Times one was a classic (Oxford/Cambridge) 50/50 coin toss. I'm not from Chicago, but I know The Chicago Tribune and The Chicago Sun Times from Siskel and Ebert.
Disagree. The clue said "this paper had been merged/combined" or the like. Sun-Times fits that bill, Tribune does not.

Sigh. My pony is slow.

On the positive front, it was unexpectedly nice to see a TDD in the first round.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Ryno wrote:The Chicago Sun Times one was a classic (Oxford/Cambridge) 50/50 coin toss. I'm not from Chicago, but I know The Chicago Tribune and The Chicago Sun Times from Siskel and Ebert.
I'd give it better than coin-flip odds. A merged newspaper usually double-barrels the names of its predecessors, which is obviously not the case with the Tribune. Unless you only know one Chicago newspaper, I'd say the chances are 75/25 in the Sun-Times' favor.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Congrats to Julie on the win in a close but meh kind of game. I know Mark Barrett will be thrilled that Lambeau Field was a TS.

I had Affleck on the FJ (and yes, I have a poll request for that response). :) I'm not a fan of this kind of FJ, as unless you happen to know the factoid cold, you're essentially throwing at a dartboard. I wonder if I would have gotten it right if I'd been on the show, though, as my pre-taping preparation when I get The Call will include some studying of Oscars-related information.

I did not know there was a Tivoli gardens in Italy; it's much less famous than the one in Copenhagen. I wonder if Julie just guessed that response because "Tivoli" sounded Italian, and lucked out when it was actually right.

There's also an apartment building called Tivoli Gardens in Parsippany, NJ, so I wonder if "the United States" would have been an acceptable response to that clue. :) And there's a neighborhood called Tivoli Gardens in Kingston, Jamaica. So that country too would have had to be credited. By not specifying that they were asking about an amusement park, the writers didn't pin that clue very well.

During her interview segment, Molly mis-identified the Botticelli painting that inspired her husband in creating her wedding dress. The painting is called Allegory of Spring (or Primavera), not Rite of Spring; she was confusing it with the musical composition by Stravinsky.

Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Good job strong comeback Julie! 44 R for goats with LT: Chicago Sun-Times, Boxers (1900), Curly Lambeau, and shoe.
I also went with Ben Affleck but wagered $0 on the Oscars, which is very weak subject beyond list of best pictures. :oops:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!