Tuesday, November 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:I did not know there was a Tivoli gardens in Italy; it's much less famous than the one in Copenhagen.
I don't know about that. The one in Italy is famous enough to have an amusement park named after it. What have they ever named after the one in Denmark?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

BennyBXB wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Category 13 wrote: In hindsight, it's extremely unlikely that Jeopardy! would present a FJ clue with either Clint Eastwood or Mel Gibson as the response. Ahh, what the hell, let's just say it'll never happen.
I can understand why you would think Gibson's name would never be invoked in FJ, but why Eastwood?
All I can think of is the chair speech, but that's been pretty much forgotten by now.
And besides -- so he made an eccentric speech at a political party's national convention -- big whoop.

ETA: according to the j-archive, Eastwood has been the correct response to FJ five times; I see no reason why he can't be again at some point.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Three female contestants and we get a Green Bay Packers category. Of all the luck.
I just knew we would never see all five clues as soon as I discovered what 'Leader of the Pack' refered to. At least Molly returned to it after one of the cooking clues but another TS meant see ya!
I bet I'm not the only woman here who knew the answer to all three of the clues that were revealed in that category.
So what I should have said was: "I knew we would never see all the Packer clues as soon as Laura bailed out of the category on a $400 level triple stumper."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT "cruise" on Miami for $400?

Total goose egg for me. I was clamming left and right: AC/DC! Everglades! Sun-Times! Good Housekeeping! Wiggles! Don't Mess with Texas! They kept getting lost between my brain and mouth.

No way was I getting "Vogue" at $200, and I had the next four even if I clammed.

No guess on FJ! Clooney has written and directed films?!? I looked it up and I don't recognize the title of anything he directed and/or wrote.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

hbomb1947 wrote:
BennyBXB wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Category 13 wrote: In hindsight, it's extremely unlikely that Jeopardy! would present a FJ clue with either Clint Eastwood or Mel Gibson as the response. Ahh, what the hell, let's just say it'll never happen.
I can understand why you would think Gibson's name would never be invoked in FJ, but why Eastwood?
All I can think of is the chair speech, but that's been pretty much forgotten by now.
And besides -- so he made an eccentric speech at a political party's national convention -- big whoop.

ETA: according to the j-archive, Eastwood has been the correct response to FJ five times; I see no reason why he can't be again at some point.
You don't even need to give his full name.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4564
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

hbomb1947 wrote:And besides -- so he made an eccentric speech at a political party's national convention -- big whoop.
I remember it being a huge deal for 36 hours and then everybody forgetting about it.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

Am I the only one who missed with Hanks instead?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote:In hindsight, it's extremely unlikely that Jeopardy! would present a FJ clue with either Clint Eastwood or Mel Gibson as the response. Ahh, what the hell, let's just say it'll never happen.
Never happen... again, you mean? Mel's been the correct response to two FJs, just like Affleck. Eastwood's been the correct response to three, just like Clooney. Well, until today when J!'s ridiculous liberal bias came through loud and clear.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:And besides -- so he made an eccentric speech at a political party's national convention -- big whoop.

Erm... he's been a response in five archived FJs. He's only been a correct response in three of them.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Three female contestants and we get a Green Bay Packers category. Of all the luck.
I just knew we would never see all five clues as soon as I discovered what 'Leader of the Pack' refered to. At least Molly returned to it after one of the cooking clues but another TS meant see ya!
I bet I'm not the only woman here who knew the answer to all three of the clues that were revealed in that category.
Another woman here who got them.

I've been to both the Danish and Italian Tivolis as a child, and have the added distinction of getting lost in the Danish amusement park, probably around 6 or 7 years old. I completely blame my older sister for abandoning me in a fun house that apparently had two entrances/exits. My solution to a terrifying situation was to try to leave the park and go to our hotel, which I was sure was just a short walk away. This may have ended really badly, lost in Copenhagen and not just the park, but my sister had been put to watch for me at the entrance to the park and I never made it out of the grounds, thank goodness! Perhaps if I ever actually get a chance to tell Alex a story of my life, this would amuse him.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I answered Eastwood from the empty podium.

There is also Tivoli Park in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote:

Erm... he's been a response in five archived FJs. He's only been a correct response in three of them.
Dammit! I was too lazy to actually click through on the archive hits to check the correct responses.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

grindcore wrote:Tivoli Gardens in Italy? Next you're gonna tell me Paris is in Texas.
Mrs. Lion and I once vacationed in Scandinavia. We were in Copenhagen, and had tickets for a midnight train to Oslo (not a midnight train to Georgia). Tivoli Gardens was almost across the street from the train station, so we spent the evening there. The park was somewhat similar to Olympic Park, a beer garden and amusement park in New Jersey, not far from where I grew up.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

hbomb1947 wrote:
BennyBXB wrote: All I can think of is the chair speech, but that's been pretty much forgotten by now.

All three FJ instances were pre-2012.
Trust me, the J! writers won't forget that easy.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Category 13 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
BennyBXB wrote: All I can think of is the chair speech, but that's been pretty much forgotten by now.

All three FJ instances were pre-2012.
Trust me, the J! writers won't forget that easy.
It seems like you're the only person who hasn't forgotten -- and it's a big nothingburger anyway.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woody Allen married his stepdaughter and he still pops up on FJ.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Wow, I am glad i am not the only one who guessed Clint Eastwood. My second guess was Robert Redford.

I was surprised that the defending champ never heard of a shoe for blackjack.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Linear Gnome wrote:
cf1140 wrote:I saw these games live and I barely noticed Laura's "peculiarity" until Johnny Gilbert talked about it between games. Something he said made me think they had to review the tape on some of her responses from her very first game. Anyways, I did not envision any hoopla at all about it.

[insider info] Molly took forever to come up with her wager.
Did they have to stop taping on the Tivoli Gardens question?

Negative. Apparently Alex's screen had both answers on it and he originally focused only on Denmark and then corrected himself.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
grindcore wrote:I couldn't think of anything solid for FJ, but I knew Woody Allen or Ben Affleck didn't seem right.
Nor could I. Just WAGged Eastwood.
Eastwood had 3 of the 4. No writing. (My guess, figuring he had to have had a hand in -something-)

Clooney slipped in the edge of the window by producing Argo (which was a 2012 film, winning the 2013 Oscar). <-- This is what hosed me, not knowing he produced Argo. I knew he -didn't- produce GNGL, which skewed me towards Eastwood.

Affleck went 1 for 4. (Producing)

For all my movie knowledge, I do horribly on Oscar themed FJs...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)