Thursday, October 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 20, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

In 1978 he replaced his brothers at No. 1... That was enough for me. I'm with Paucle in the insta- category.

The match was even with all three players getting their fair share of clues. Kiss of the Spider Woman looked like torture as the players could not dredge up the title in time.

A wise guy contestant could have caused trouble for Alex and drawn his wrath by using a selection short cut with only "Hurt" in making a pick.

In the J! round I wrote the categories more by listening than by looking. It was disappointing to later realize there was a space between "Flint" and "Stones."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I know I'd have done much better in a category about the Flintstones.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote:(Yes, I just did what I never thought I'd do, admit publicly that I like some 70s dance music songs enough to have an album's worth on my iPod. 'Scuse me while I go into the witness protection program and change my identity.)
Only one album's worth? You have much less than I do.

(Can't guarantee how much I have on my iPhone at any one time, though, since my music collection is far larger than the iPhone's capacity.)
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Instaget FJ! Actually my travels on Wikipedia and YouTube took me to Andy Gibb/Bee Gees related sites recently.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

I wonder if the contestants were told that they needed to give a first name as well. Would "Who is Gibb?" have been accepted?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Paucle wrote:And just to give Stefan some warm fuzzies.... "Oh, if only Lloyd could've rung in on the final clue $2000, he would've won by 1,998!" (C'mon, we needed to import it from the old board!)
It's just not the same without an abrupt swerve into discussion of the cast of "Knots Landing."
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Like some of you, my first thought on FJ was Michael Jackson.

Then I remembered "Off The Wall" (the album that established him as an adult solo artist) was either 1979 or 1980; and I couldn't remember The Jacksons (as they were then known, having left Motown - and the trademark "Jackson 5ive" - behind and moving to Epic Records) having anything in the 1978 era that was hit-worthy.

Then the BeeGees hit like a Disco Inferno (I know, different group). Andy was the soloist, the BeeGees were the group (and one of the older brothers was the songwriter). And I remembered Stigwood kept all of those Gibbs boys in heavy airplay during the disco era. It was a snap at that point.

EDIT: Really obtuse Jackson family trivia that I'd forgotten until I reread it -- The Jacksons' self-titled first album with Epic was the first Gold Record the Jacksons had received, even though they had million-sellers before with Motown. Motown, prior to 1976, never allowed RIAA (the folks that issue gold records) to audit their sales records, so Motown had no gold records prior to that point!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: The Jacksons' self-titled first album with Epic was the first Gold Record the Jacksons had received, even though they had million-sellers before with Motown. Motown, prior to 1976, never allowed RIAA (the folks that issue gold records) to audit their sales records, so Motown had no gold records prior to that point!
THe RIAA didn't start classifying records as platinum until 1976, too. The Eagles' Greatest Hits(1972-75) was the first platinum certified album and is still among the top five selling albums of all time.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Budphrey wrote:As far as the FJ! clue, even though it was an instaget for me (having survived that epoch in radio music), my visceral reaction was ugh ugh ugh ecch ugh nastay ptui ptui. Not to be a music snob or anything, but the Gibbs' hostile takeover of disco music pretty much killed the whole genre artistically and, eventually, commercially. Not that I have an opinion or anything.
Hey, don't blame the Gibbs for evolution. Disco as a popular genre was as doomed from the start as punk would later be. Both were driven and distinguished from all that had come before by a raw, rebellious energy (disco: sexuality and hedonism; punk: social discontent and anarchy) that could never survive the transition into the mainstream. The BeeGees, who have always essentially been a blue-eyed soul group, simply and with a great deal of skill took the best of the new elements formed in the crucible of urban dance floors and presented it in a way that middle American youth could accept. They were not the only ones; they just did it very well and very successfully. But the abandonment of the grinding source of disco's energy (witness Donna Summer's path from "Love to Love You Baby" through "Hot Stuff" to "On the Radio") meant that all it really had going for it was novelty, and novelty has only a brief half-life. Disco's catchiest tropes were assimilated into pop's lexicon, pushing us over the Borderline as successive stars Did It Again, and then disco-the-popular-genre had no reason to exist.

Of course, again like punk, real (i.e., non-mainstream) disco music never really went away; it just went back underground, where it could do its work without being molested by A&R men.

Rex
alamble

Post by alamble »

joepozz wrote:I wonder if the contestants were told that they needed to give a first name as well. Would "Who is Gibb?" have been accepted?
Can't speak to your first question (although my guess would be "probably yes"), but I can say with about 99.99% certainty that the answer to your second question is no.

In honor of the FJ subjects, I give you The Barry Gibb Talk Show from SNL. This is the most recent version of the sketch, from last season.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Budphrey wrote:As far as the FJ! clue, even though it was an instaget for me (having survived that epoch in radio music), my visceral reaction was ugh ugh ugh ecch ugh nastay ptui ptui. Not to be a music snob or anything, but the Gibbs' hostile takeover of disco music pretty much killed the whole genre artistically and, eventually, commercially. Not that I have an opinion or anything.
Hey, don't blame the Gibbs for evolution. Disco as a popular genre was as doomed from the start as punk would later be. Both were driven and distinguished from all that had come before by a raw, rebellious energy (disco: sexuality and hedonism; punk: social discontent and anarchy) that could never survive the transition into the mainstream. The BeeGees, who have always essentially been a blue-eyed soul group, simply and with a great deal of skill took the best of the new elements formed in the crucible of urban dance floors and presented it in a way that middle American youth could accept. They were not the only ones; they just did it very well and very successfully. But the abandonment of the grinding source of disco's energy (witness Donna Summer's path from "Love to Love You Baby" through "Hot Stuff" to "On the Radio") meant that all it really had going for it was novelty, and novelty has only a brief half-life. Disco's catchiest tropes were assimilated into pop's lexicon, pushing us over the Borderline as successive stars Did It Again, and then disco-the-popular-genre had no reason to exist.

Of course, again like punk, real (i.e., non-mainstream) disco music never really went away; it just went back underground, where it could do its work without being molested by A&R men.

Rex
The Bee Gees started off as a kind of art pop group. A bunch of those songs were covered by soul groups, and adapted quite well into that genre, but the Bee Gees' early style was their own distinctive vision. Here's one of my favorites - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PcXVSkLyUM
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Is there a better pop waltz than Break Up to Make Up? No wa

Post by Rex Kramer »

harrumph wrote:The Bee Gees started off as a kind of art pop group. A bunch of those songs were covered by soul groups, and adapted quite well into that genre, but the Bee Gees' early style was their own distinctive vision.
I agree that the Bee Gees were distinctively visionary, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that their songs were merely "adapted" by soul groups. Barry Gibb wrote their first true international hit, "To Love Somebody", for Otis Redding, after all. Even in its sparest early works, the group found the incorporation of the harmonies and rhythms of soul music irresistable, and Barry publicly attributed their development of the use of falsetto to their fondness of the works of the Stylistics and the Delfonics. "Words", "Lonely Days", "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart", "Nights on Broadway", and even (technically) "Jive Talkin'" and "You Should Be Dancing" -- all pre-Saturday Night Fever, and all original, unadapted soul.

Rex
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

I thought this was a good game overall. Lloyd was the last player held over from Monday's taping, so I'd met him the day before. What wasn't mentioned was that his flight from Albany was cancelled due to Hurricane Irene, so he and his girlfriend rented a car and drove 12 hours to Chicago to catch a plane to LA. Glad the trip was worth it!

Does anyone know when next week's episodes were taped?
jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

Budphrey wrote:Nice strong showing by Jay. And I like that Lloyd was just as easygoing about coming in second as he was about winning.

As far as the FJ! clue, even though it was an instaget for me (having survived that epoch in radio music), my visceral reaction was ugh ugh ugh ecch ugh nastay ptui ptui. Not to be a music snob or anything, but the Gibbs' hostile takeover of disco music pretty much killed the whole genre artistically and, eventually, commercially. Not that I have an opinion or anything.
Thanks, Budphrey!
jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

joepozz wrote:I wonder if the contestants were told that they needed to give a first name as well. Would "Who is Gibb?" have been accepted?
@joepozz - before fj, an executive producer whom we didn't know, not one of the three contestant producers whom we were all comfortable and familiar with by that point, came out and told us they needed a first and last name for this one. :)
jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

katiedidwhat wrote:I thought this was a good game overall. Lloyd was the last player held over from Monday's taping, so I'd met him the day before. What wasn't mentioned was that his flight from Albany was cancelled due to Hurricane Irene, so he and his girlfriend rented a car and drove 12 hours to Chicago to catch a plane to LA. Glad the trip was worth it!

Does anyone know when next week's episodes were taped?
@katie - congrats on your wins! anyone who can take down joon deserves major credit. to answer your question, next week's episodes were taped on september 20. this week's were taped on august 30, but there was a hiatus due to labor day.
harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Is there a better pop waltz than Break Up to Make Up? N

Post by harrumph »

Rex Kramer wrote:
harrumph wrote:The Bee Gees started off as a kind of art pop group. A bunch of those songs were covered by soul groups, and adapted quite well into that genre, but the Bee Gees' early style was their own distinctive vision.
I agree that the Bee Gees were distinctively visionary, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that their songs were merely "adapted" by soul groups. Barry Gibb wrote their first true international hit, "To Love Somebody", for Otis Redding, after all. Even in its sparest early works, the group found the incorporation of the harmonies and rhythms of soul music irresistable, and Barry publicly attributed their development of the use of falsetto to their fondness of the works of the Stylistics and the Delfonics. "Words", "Lonely Days", "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart", "Nights on Broadway", and even (technically) "Jive Talkin'" and "You Should Be Dancing" -- all pre-Saturday Night Fever, and all original, unadapted soul.

Rex
Most of the songs you cite here are mid period, after they had made a conscious decision to go into soul/funk music. The four albums from the late 1960s - Bee Gees 1st, Horizontal, Idea, and Odessa - are adventurously arty and while soul music was one influence it was not at all dominant. Barry Gibbs developed the falsetto voice after this. Their early period harmonies are Beatle like, having grown up with the same 1950s influences as the fab four (they were only in Australia from 1958 to 1966).
billiej

Post by billiej »

I had to play this one off the archive. For some reason we got a repeat of katiedidwhat's second game. Not that I didn't enjoy watching Katie, but it was just a little too soon for repeat questions!
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

jgpeterson wrote:to answer your question, next week's episodes were taped on september 20. this week's were taped on august 30, but there was a hiatus due to labor day.
Thanks, Jay! It was idle curiosity on my part; when I got "the call" in July Glenn made it sound like there wouldn't be any tapings between Aug. 29-30 and the ToC, but that was before the injury, of course. My husband and I ended up going to the La Brea tar pits on the 30th and having a day to relax before heading home.

I thought you played very well -- congrats on your own win!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

When I saw the FJ category come up, I griped because they couldn't be more specific. Late '70s to early '90s I can handle, outside that not so much. FJ was an instaget--curse you, disco! :evil: