Monday, December 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, December 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Sadly, I spent the whole 30 seconds trying to figure out what the clue was asking for. I obviously came up with nothing.

On the plus side, I got to watch the awesome SpaceX launch and landing -- at least, what I could see from 25 miles away, which was quite a bit. Bravo!
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Golf wrote: Does Claudia's music gig pay $10k for less than an hour's work? Would love to know the details and decision making process, but it's certainly a personal choice.
Here Claudia explains the details and her decision making process. I even forwarded the Live Panel to the appropriate spot. If anyone doesn't want to watch, they cancelled two tape dates for Jeopardy, and if she had cancelled her gig she would damage her earning potential in the future in her career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QksYI0A ... be&t=6m20s
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
Golf wrote: Does Claudia's music gig pay $10k for less than an hour's work? Would love to know the details and decision making process, but it's certainly a personal choice.
Here Claudia explains the details and her decision making process. I even forwarded the Live Panel to the appropriate spot. If anyone doesn't want to watch, they cancelled two tape dates for Jeopardy, and if she had cancelled her gig she would damage her earning potential in the future in her career.
Thanks for the video.

Am glad she got to tape later, although looking at it from the opposite point of view, it would certainly suck to be the champ she plays against. After all, if you win a game you should get to play two contestants unfamiliar with the process. Some champ was put in a lesser position just to accommodate her.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alietr wrote:
teapot37 wrote:I was glad that I was able to come up with the answers pretty quickly yesterday and didn't have to worry about it for the rest of the day, because yesterday was Star Wars Marathon day for me (3am-10pm).
Ha! I finally figured out your avatar!
Tonight provided me with some amusement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Three new contestants AND an injured AT? What an odd start to this game.

Colorful for $1,200 seemed like a coinflip between KY/OH unless you know your lesser universities cold. I was leaning KY since I believe it's the bigger of the two.

Camel's hair seemed undervalued for $400 even with "Bactrian", since who has ever heard of "camel's hair" fabric?

Lach trash on "effigy" and "affidavit".

Instaget FJ!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Golf wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:
Thanks for the video.

Am glad she got to tape later, although looking at it from the opposite point of view, it would certainly suck to be the champ she plays against. After all, if you win a game you should get to play two contestants unfamiliar with the process. Some champ was put in a lesser position just to accommodate her.
And perhaps TPTB would have been less or (un)willing to accommodate her if they hadn't had to postpone the tape date due to AT's surgery. It's reasonable for them to have been flexible when the rescheduling conflicted with her professional gig.

And golf, I don't understand your original question. Claudia didn't forego her opportunity to earn more money on J!, she merely deferred it for a few weeks.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Golf wrote: Am glad she got to tape later, although looking at it from the opposite point of view, it would certainly suck to be the champ she plays against. After all, if you win a game you should get to play two contestants unfamiliar with the process. Some champ was put in a lesser position just to accommodate her.
It would suck even more to be the lone new challenger for that game.

As far as the two champs playing each other, it will be as much of a disadvantage to Claudia as it is to the other champ. I'm sure TPTB will wait to insert her in with another two-day champ.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Colorful for $1,200 seemed like a coinflip between KY/OH unless you know your lesser universities cold. I was leaning KY since I believe it's the bigger of the two.
BGSU is in Ohio. The university in BG, KY is Western Kentucky University. (Of course, *I* don't think it's a "lesser" university - my sister is an alumna.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I wonder how they chose Liz to be the ersatz champion for the game? Was it all three podia chosen through random selection, as the challengers positions usually are, or was there ability on Liz's part that we saw today that made them grant her the coveted spot?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Colorful for $1,200 seemed like a coinflip between KY/OH unless you know your lesser universities cold. I was leaning KY since I believe it's the bigger of the two.
BGSU is in Ohio. The university in BG, KY is Western Kentucky University. (Of course, *I* don't think it's a "lesser" university - my sister is an alumna.)
Which only makes that clue even more loosely pinned, IMO, since both BGs have universities and it's easy to think that BGSU might be in the Kentucky one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I said Kentucky because I too am more familiar with it, but that's possibly because I like the video for "When God Fearing' Women Get The Blues"

Yes, TPH, I knew you'd appreciate that comment.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

FJ wasn't a total instaget for me -- at first I was just baffled -- but then it came to me after a few seconds.

So how do they decide who gets to occupy the champion's lectern (and call out the first clue) in a game like this one? In any case, congrats to Liz on the win and "defending" that lectern. :)

Best wishes to Alex T. for a speedy continued recovery. (When exactly was the surgery? Beginning of November?)

I was very sad not to have been on this episode that featured an entire category devoted to my favourite decade, as well as my hometown of West Orange, NJ being a correct response (which of course I would have picked up $1,600 on, since no one rang in on it), as well as a Shakespeare clue that was also a TS. It was after the West Orange clue was a stand-and-stare that I broke into my nightly ritual of yelling at my TV, "Maggie, why won't you give me The Call already?" And now I will never get the chance to respond to a clue with "What is my hometown of West Orange, New Jersey?" :cry:

I did not know that there was a fabric made from bamboo, but "tall grass" pretty much dictated that as the correct response. I also had no idea that Olivia Newton-John wasn't a native Aussie.

In the middle of single-J!, Liz hit a second-row DD and had $2,600 while both of her opponents were in the red. That situation was crying out for a TDD -- even if she missed it, she would still be in the lead. And she wagered a measly $1,000. Shoshana returned the favor by wagering only $4,000 of her $6,000 when Liz was leading her by $6,600. If she lost even $4K on the DD, dropping to $2K would have pretty much eliminated her chances to win the game, so she had no reason not to go all-in.

Jay looked strong in the early going, but he was the latest player to be undone by too many negs.

And Shoshana overwagered by about $7,500 on FJ. :) This was also yet another game where, before last year's rules change, it would have been optimal for two of the players to make wagers that could have resulted in a tie -- in this case, by Liz wagering $5K. Under the current rules, with the assumption that Liz would make the standard lockout wager, zero would still have been the correct wager for Shoshana, to win on a double-stumper (since she had a lock over Jay prior to FJ).
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Category 13 wrote: As far as the two champs playing each other, it will be as much of a disadvantage to Claudia as it is to the other champ. I'm sure TPTB will wait to insert her in with another two-day champ.
I need to amend that.
It will be to Claudia's advantage if she is enlightened to Vermonter's website and brushes up on FJ wagering strategy between now and her next taping.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Category 13 wrote:
Golf wrote: Am glad she got to tape later, although looking at it from the opposite point of view, it would certainly suck to be the champ she plays against. After all, if you win a game you should get to play two contestants unfamiliar with the process. Some champ was put in a lesser position just to accommodate her.

As far as the two champs playing each other, it will be as much of a disadvantage to Claudia as it is to the other champ. I'm sure TPTB will wait to insert her in with another two-day champ.
I don't think they would feel the need to do that (which, by the way, would suck even more for the lone challenger), and of course there's no guarantee that there would be a 2-day champ to match her up against during her new tape date, and more importantly I think it's likely that Standards & Practices would frown upon any deviation from the procedure of randomly choosing the new players to put into each game, even though Claudia won't be a true "challenger."
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Liz did not have a nail with the exclamation point for Jeopardy! and I was wondering it that is some kind of copyright thing?

It had to be a contrast of pools for the players that showed up with no returning champ compared to those that showed up later in Matt Jackson's run.

The archive is far from complete for such things, but for the relevant games in there anyone who wants to figure out the win % for the champ's spot in regular games with three new players? By luck of the draw Liz may have had a psychological advantage before the game started.

Tom O'Brien on Sale of the Century was a big time champ who was unable to play during part of his run and came back to finish cleaning up the board + $50K.

Since we seem to have many players who taped around the time of Alex's surgery and recovery how was the photo with Alex handled?

The FJ! clue made me happy it was not about Jackie Kennedy's time working for publishers as I did not have those choices as part of my brainstorm. I was really stretching the limits of the scope of FJ! responses as I spent time determining the publisher of The Hardy Boys books was Grosset & Dunlap and not Grosset & Dunlop (tire maker). Legitimate precalls were Simon & Schuster, Scholastic and Penguin Books.

Figuring out Random House was a best guess while still needing Alex's confirmation to lock in it was right. To anyone who missed it that has to make it worse for it to be a Hammer and Player x 3 hit as I have had that taste multiple times and it's always sour.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Robert K S wrote:I was delighted by NOPE, NOT BORN IN AUSTRALIA. I probably knew about all of them except Nicole Kidman and Olivia Newton-John, but the category just served to highlight how many of the country's treasured entertainers don't belong to them at all!
I had no idea about any of them! Wowsers.
Robert K S wrote:PS, I feel like I didn't get the "dummy"/"effigy" pun, if there was one.
A 'penny' for your thoughts, perhaps ;)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Category 13 wrote:

I don't think they would feel the need to do that (which, by the way, would suck even more for the lone challenger), and of course there's no guarantee that there would be a 2-day champ to match her up against during her new tape date, and more importantly I think it's likely that Standards & Practices would frown upon any deviation from the procedure of randomly choosing the new players to put into each game, even though Claudia won't be a true "challenger."
I'd bet money they are going to do it that way. It would the be fairest way to handle the situation.
I don't think the odds are that long for a fresh repeat champion to emerge within a 1-3 day taping span. That's 15 games on the long side.
I'd be pretty ticked off if I had a 4 game streak going and with a ToC birth on the line, found myself standing next to a two-time champion.
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

hbomb1947 wrote:And golf, I don't understand your original question. Claudia didn't forego her opportunity to earn more money on J!, she merely deferred it for a few weeks.
I know, but in doing so put herself in a much less advantageous position. She is now giving up all momentum and a ton of comfort level, believe me she won't feel in that same groove when she returns. And as already mentioned, now playing against another champion who is in the groove. It's just going to be a very strange situation that she won't feel comfortable in.

Not judging her decision at all, only she can make that. Just pointing out that it's going to be a lot tougher than most realize when she gets behind that podium.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:And golf, I don't understand your original question. Claudia didn't forego her opportunity to earn more money on J!, she merely deferred it for a few weeks.
I know, but in doing so put herself in a much less advantageous position. She is now giving up all momentum and a ton of comfort level, believe me she won't feel in that same groove when she returns. And as already mentioned, now playing against another champion who is in the groove. It's just going to be a very strange situation that she won't feel comfortable in.

Not judging her decision at all, only she can make that. Just pointing out that it's going to be a lot tougher than most realize when she gets behind that podium.
I dunno, there's a comfort level from being employed. If she had to skip that gig, that would introduce more stress. Six of one...
Also, it does sound like you're judging, what with pointing out all the negatives and all...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Golf wrote:

I don't think you can make an assumption on Claudia's behalf that she won't feel comfortable. She'll still have the confidence from having won 2 games. And there are trade-offs; she'll be freshly rested. It's also a crapshoot what quality of champion she'll be going up against; it won't necessarily be someone who's in the groove. It could be a player who's won 1 game and $4,000.