Eligibility of Canadians for Jeopardy Online Test 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Eligibility of Canadians for Jeopardy Online Test 2016

Post by triviawayne »

rouquinne wrote:
alietr wrote:As for your hand issue, they would probably make some sort of accommodation for that if they can. As we've seen in the past, they're very good at that.
Since "ringing in" is part of the game strategy, I can't see any accommodation that could be made without giving one an unfair advantage.

:(
Only one way to find out.

Here I find myself again asking, "how bad do you want it?"
Total game show career losings = $171,522
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

rouquinne wrote:
alietr wrote:As for your hand issue, they would probably make some sort of accommodation for that if they can. As we've seen in the past, they're very good at that.
Since "ringing in" is part of the game strategy, I can't see any accommodation that could be made without giving one an unfair advantage.

Hey, they did it for Watson...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

rouquinne wrote:And now that I'm facing hand surgery for the problem that has plagued me for the past 7 years and will have reduced manual dexterity following it, there's no way I'll be able to work the signalling device even if I do get another shot at it.
While it's hard to speak with authority on this since I'm not sure of the extent of the reduced dexterity you'll have, please know that you may still be able to work the buzzer. The Jeopardy! buzzer button is flatter and more responsive to touch than most viewers realize - I've used video-game controllers that require more effort to operate than that particular gadget. Pick up a clicky-pen and try pushing down on it with your thumb repeatedly without pushing it IN. The point of the pen should be poking out while you're doing this, without actually locking into a fully operational writing tool - you're using more energy than you need if it does. You will have to exert that level of force on an object roughly the diameter of the rod inside a toilet paper holder.

You've likely seen some contestants who hold the buzzer at an unusual angle - tucked into a folded arm, resting on the lectern, etc. Upon getting The Call, your goal during practice, besides working on the timing, will be finding an angle that works for you and reduces the fatigue.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I just noticed this on thejeopardyfan.com OntarioQuizzer (Andy Saunders) talks about the Canadian question and between him and the host does an *excellent* job of righting the record, the best explanation I've heard (much better than the uninformed media coverage who don't talk to a member to the community). *Well* worth the listen, imho. And you can do that here! Well done Andy!

ETA: Editing the link to drive the traffic directly to Andy's site (where you can link to the interview on a link from there) because it's a great site that deserves traffic.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

triviawayne wrote:Here I find myself again asking, "how bad do you want it?"
I've wanted to be on The Show longer than a lot of you reading this have been alive!

:D

When I got my email invite to the audition, one of the first people I called was my grandmother. She said that the only thing that would make her happier than seeing me on Jeopardy, was attending my wedding. So far, I'm batting negative on both fronts.

LOL!
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
rouquinne wrote:And now that I'm facing hand surgery for the problem that has plagued me for the past 7 years and will have reduced manual dexterity following it, there's no way I'll be able to work the signalling device even if I do get another shot at it.
While it's hard to speak with authority on this since I'm not sure of the extent of the reduced dexterity you'll have, please know that you may still be able to work the buzzer. The Jeopardy! buzzer button is flatter and more responsive to touch than most viewers realize - I've used video-game controllers that require more effort to operate than that particular gadget. Pick up a clicky-pen and try pushing down on it with your thumb repeatedly without pushing it IN. The point of the pen should be poking out while you're doing this, without actually locking into a fully operational writing tool - you're using more energy than you need if it does. You will have to exert that level of force on an object roughly the diameter of the rod inside a toilet paper holder.

You've likely seen some contestants who hold the buzzer at an unusual angle - tucked into a folded arm, resting on the lectern, etc. Upon getting The Call, your goal during practice, besides working on the timing, will be finding an angle that works for you and reduces the fatigue.
Thanks, Jen, good to know. I did have some difficulty at my audition 3 years ago, though I still rang in faster than my fellow candidates that day.

The surgery will involve removing a bone and performing a tendon graft. The information I've been able to find about recovery and use afterward varies so greatly that it's almost useless. My surgeon said that fine motor work like needlepoint may be out of the question, but it's all dependent on how well I recover. She's the first medical professional I've encountered over the past couple of years who said that I was young enough for it to be successful. Everyone else seems to dwell on the over-50 thing!

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

rouquinne wrote:
triviawayne wrote:Here I find myself again asking, "how bad do you want it?"
I've wanted to be on The Show longer than a lot of you reading this have been alive!

:D

When I got my email invite to the audition, one of the first people I called was my grandmother. She said that the only thing that would make her happier than seeing me on Jeopardy, was attending my wedding. So far, I'm batting negative on both fronts.

LOL!
I know exactly where you're coming from. My grandmother was the driving force behind me getting on a game show; she wouldn't let me give up when I was going to stop trying.

So I guess there's only one thing left for you to do...

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

You only miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

rouquinne wrote:When I got my email invite to the audition, one of the first people I called was my grandmother. She said that the only thing that would make her happier than seeing me on Jeopardy, was attending my wedding. So far, I'm batting negative on both fronts.
You and me both!

Except for the grandmother part. My paternal grandmother died at age 73 and my maternal grandmother died at age 78, both before the Jeopardy! world ever heard of Alex Trebek.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

My grandmother turned 96 a few weeks ago. :)

And my mom says I was some kind of idiot-savant when I was a small child, because I could come up with some answers during the Art Fleming era!

:lol:

(Okay, the idiot-savant is my editorializing, but you get the drift...)

:mrgreen:
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

Last week's episode of 'Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me' had a question based on Jeopardy's Canadian 'ban'. Everything's pretty tongue-in-cheek on that show, so I'm not sure how accurate their depiction was.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

mahatma wrote:Last week's episode of 'Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me' had a question based on Jeopardy's Canadian 'ban'. Everything's pretty tongue-in-cheek on that show, so I'm not sure how accurate their depiction was.
It's in Panel Round 3

http://www.npr.org/programs/wait-wait-d ... 2016-02-27

Seems accurate enough to me... ;)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This is fantastic news! I now have a retirement plan for when my time in the pool expires! (However, it looks like I'll still be in (my pool time ends Dec. 31, 2016) when this special test and audition comes - at first I was disappointed ("Now I can't travel closer for an audition!") but unless they have an audition in Winnipeg itself, pretty much any audition site would be as far away for me as the closest American one's like Minneapolis and Kansas City are.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm wondering if the Minneapolis and Detroit auditions will be delayed until after this test, or if there will actually be auditions in Canadian cities.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I'm wondering if the Minneapolis and Detroit auditions will be delayed until after this test, or if there will actually be auditions in Canadian cities.
Highly doubt the first part, there aren't that many Canadians close to Minneapolis, most auditioners there will be from the American Midwest. (Yes, I know I'm "close" to the Twin Cities, but a) Winnipeg only has about 700,000 people, smaller than Minneapolis , St. Louis, Kansas City, and Chicago, likely cities where auditioners will come from. And b), count how many Winnipeggers have been on the show. I'll wait, shouldn't be too long. That shows there either isn't the interest or the population amongst my fellow Peggers.)

As to Detroit, they might've had a fair amount from S. Ontario, but again, there's several large American cities there, with more past contestants, to warrant auditions there.

I think they'll have auditions north of the border, my guess is Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton, and Toronto or Montreal.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

A video on Alex (and PM Justin Trudeau) speaking on the progress they are making on getting Canadians eligible again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/al ... -1.3568266

(Alex said something about French requirements and how they don't need them since they are an English speaking show. I have no idea if that was actually one of the setbacks, or if Alex was trying his unique brand of humour.)