Tuesday, January 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: Tuesday, January 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Carpe Diem »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Whitman at $200?
The picture of the guy who looked like a sweaty-toothed madman.
*stands on desk*
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dhkendall wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Coryat: $35,600
45 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: wormholes (DD), The Last Emperor, Columbia (DD)

The word "parable" in the FJ! clue cinched it for me.

"Catwalk" is a pretty absentminded response to a clue about theoretical passages whose alternate name includes Einstein. Then again, I absentmindedly answered "I-bar" instead of "I-beam," so who am I to judge?
alamble wrote:
alan tiger wrote:Leander wrote, "Surprised there was not a BMS on Marsalis, given that his brother is pretty well known in jazz, as is his father to a lesser degree."

agreed. granddaddy ellis marsalis and daddy ellis marsalis, jr. (pianist), were the progenitors of four jazz kids. there is little difference between wynton (trumpet), bradford (sax), delfeayo (trombone) and jason (drums).
It's Branford, and I suspect that they did not BMS because they showed a picture of Wynton playing his trumpet.
That's not a good reason not to BMS. I suspect there are many people who know that Branford and Wynton are both jazz musicians, but couldn't tell you which one is which. *raises hand*
*raises hand as well*

The only reason I got it (and said "Who is Marsalis?" at home to hedge my bets) is that I remember how Brantford looked from his Tonight Show days.
I just went down to my work's break room, which looks out at the next-door Dallas Performing Arts Center's video board. Who should be staring right back at me but Branford Marsalis. Paging Ms. Morissette...
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote:This is the second time I've used this expression in a couple of weeks, but Whitman's appearance, all by itself, is iconic.
Provided you've seen him before. Again, it's very very VERY possible to know a thing or two about someone and have no idea what they look like.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
davey wrote:This is the second time I've used this expression in a couple of weeks, but Whitman's appearance, all by itself, is iconic.
Provided you've seen him before. Again, it's very very VERY possible to know a thing or two about someone and have no idea what they look like.
Stick with prosopagnosia...it's a better excuse.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Leander wrote:Surprised there was not a BMS on Marsalis, given that his brother is pretty well known in jazz, as is his father to a lesser degree.
Senator Kennedy, jazz musician Marsalis, when it comes to BMSes I've given up expecting any kind of consistency or logic.
If the last-name rule were written according to the way it is enforced, it would likely read:

"Last name is sufficient unless the correct response is Roosevelt, and possibly if it is Kennedy."

Yes, I was also expecting a BMS on Marsalis. Maybe the writers don't think jazz musicians are well-known enough... Too bad they aren't.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They never BMS on Cromwell for a Lord Protector. But you must BMS on Nehru for an Indian leader.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ight=nehru
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

And don't forget: if the response is XY and you only give the X or the Y, then insta-neg.

But if it's a word that's kinda vaguely synonymous to the correct response if you squint at it (cf. eclipse/occlude), then BMS.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

grindcore wrote:When I saw the college team names category I was excited, but in the end I was disappointed they didn't include the Stanford Golden Bears or Michigan Buckeyes. Otherwise, good category.

Instaget final because I knew that factoid, wonder if I would have gotten it if I had needed to figure it out.

Well, Michigan Buckeyes would have been incorrect. It's Michigan Wolverines and Ohio State Buckeyes. And California Golden Bears and Stanford Cardinal.

Or do I misunderstand what you were thinking?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SBurrus wrote:
grindcore wrote:When I saw the college team names category I was excited, but in the end I was disappointed they didn't include the Stanford Golden Bears or Michigan Buckeyes. Otherwise, good category.

Instaget final because I knew that factoid, wonder if I would have gotten it if I had needed to figure it out.

Well, Michigan Buckeyes would have been incorrect. It's Michigan Wolverines and Ohio State Buckeyes. And California Golden Bears and Stanford Cardinal.

It's Friday and you think you are catching a sports error in the Tuesday thread that no one would have spotted by now? That's hilarious. It's a play off the Auburn Crimson Tide miss.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Bamaman wrote:They never BMS on Cromwell for a Lord Protector. But you must BMS on Nehru for an Indian leader.

Jeez. No matter how many times I say it to myself, I can't seem to memorize the pronunciation of his first name. :D That's kind of a silly BMS anyway; how many other famous people named Nehru are there? And it makes zero sense that they would prompt for Nehru and not for Kennedy or Marsalis (as I mentioned upthread, the failure to prompt on the Marsalis one is especially a fail, since it was a $2,000 clue).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

MarkBarrett wrote:
SBurrus wrote:

It's Friday and you think you are catching a sports error in the Tuesday thread that no one would have spotted by now? That's hilarious. It's a play off the Auburn Crimson Tide miss.
Ha...well, I was away from home for a couple of weeks visiting family and had a backlog of Jeopardy episodes to watch. I just got caught up and was checking the game threads on here as I viewed the episodes. Maybe because I was watching these in the middle of the night, I wasn't sharp enough to catch on to the tongue-in-cheek responses.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:
SBurrus wrote:

In other words: whoosh! The sound of the joke going over your head :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:They never BMS on Cromwell for a Lord Protector. But you must BMS on Nehru for an Indian leader.

Jeez. No matter how many times I say it to myself, I can't seem to memorize the pronunciation of his first name. :D That's kind of a silly BMS anyway; how many other famous people named Nehru are there? And it makes zero sense that they would prompt for Nehru and not for Kennedy or Marsalis (as I mentioned upthread, the failure to prompt on the Marsalis one is especially a fail, since it was a $2,000 clue).
You could try to fly "J. Nehru," but Alex might think you're saying "Jay." edit: or try Pandit Nehru.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:

You could try to fly "J. Nehru," but Alex might think you're saying "Jay." edit: or try Pandit Nehru.
I got the pronunciation from being a fan of the show Head of the Class when I was much younger. (There was a character called Jawarlahal.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:

I got the pronunciation from being a fan of the show Head of the Class when I was much younger. (There was a character called Jawarlahal.)
That might be a problem, since Nehru's first name was Jawaharlal.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
SBurrus wrote:

In other words: whoosh! The sound of the joke going over your head :)
Having worked with both UM and OSU grads. I can assure you that would not viewed by some as a joke, but more of a criminal offense punishable by means that most countries outlawed several hundred years ago.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:

That might be a problem, since Nehru's first name was Jawaharlal.
The Head of the Class character and Mr. Nehru had the same first name, the former no doubt being named for the latter.
Sprinkles are for winners.