1/18/16 Today's Contestant's page has 2 returning champs

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

1/18/16 Today's Contestant's page has 2 returning champs

Post by PeteMoss »

Why are there 2 returning champions on today's show?

https://www.jeopardy.com/about/this-week-on-jeopardy
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Re: 1/18/16 Today's Contestant's page has 2 returning champs

Post by patkav »

Because Claudia's return four weeks ago was postponed by Alex's recovery from knee replacement surgery. She had a conflict with the rescheduled tape date. That's why there was no returning champion on 12/21. J! slotted her into the game when she could make it back to LA.
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

patkav wrote:Because Claudia's return four weeks ago was postponed by Alex's recovery from knee replacement surgery. She had a conflict with the rescheduled tape date. That's why there was no returning champion on 12/21. J! slotted her into the game when she could make it back to LA.
Won't spoil (was in the audience), but this one will be FAR from a bore!
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

I didn't think to go to the Tuesday's contestant page, but I did after the completion of today's game, and I saw:
Spoiler
A question mark instead of a returning champion. Perhaps it will be changed by tomorrow.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

clprez wrote:I didn't think to go to the Tuesday's contestant page, but I did after the completion of today's game, and I saw:
Spoiler
A question mark instead of a returning champion. Perhaps it will be changed by tomorrow.
If you stay on the main page long enough to let the contestants cycle through, right after Randi, you'll see
Spoiler
Hans Kamm, from Fayetteville, Arkansas, who I expect will occupy the leftmost podium tomorrow.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

mfc248 wrote:
clprez wrote:I didn't think to go to the Tuesday's contestant page, but I did after the completion of today's game, and I saw:
Spoiler
If you stay on the main page long enough to let the contestants cycle through, right after Randi, you'll see
Spoiler
Hans Kamm, from Fayetteville, Arkansas, who I expect will occupy the leftmost podium tomorrow.
Or perhaps
Spoiler
the center or rightmost podium.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

TreeOfHeaven wrote:
patkav wrote:Because Claudia's return four weeks ago was postponed by Alex's recovery from knee replacement surgery. She had a conflict with the rescheduled tape date. That's why there was no returning champion on 12/21. J! slotted her into the game when she could make it back to LA.
I read your teaser before watching today's episode, and when the DJ round was over and Mike and Claudia were tied, I thought THAT was what you were referring to. Little did I know I'd be seeing a very rare occurrence when all was said and done. Were you one of the audience members who clapped at the end of DJ and laughed at the end of FJ?
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

SBurrus wrote:
TreeOfHeaven wrote:
I read your teaser before watching today's episode, and when the DJ round was over and Mike and Claudia were tied, I thought THAT was what you were referring to. Little did I know I'd be seeing a very rare occurrence when all was said and done. Were you one of the audience members who clapped at the end of DJ and laughed at the end of FJ?
No, I'd gotten my inappropriate noise issues out of the way earlier in the taping. Watch me this Friday, BTW.
BobF

Post by BobF »

And today's ...
Spoiler
will have none!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TreeOfHeaven wrote:
SBurrus wrote:
TreeOfHeaven wrote:
No, I'd gotten my inappropriate noise issues out of the way earlier in the taping. Watch me this Friday, BTW.
Since you were there, let me ask you a question.
Spoiler
How many players did they have in the green room? With the results of today's game, they needed an extra player so the alternate was needed. Do they have just one alternate for each taping day?
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

Bamaman wrote:
TreeOfHeaven wrote:
SBurrus wrote:
TreeOfHeaven wrote:
Spoiler
How many players did they have in the green room? With the results of today's game, they needed an extra player so the alternate was needed. Do they have just one alternate for each taping day?
Spoiler
They have two alternates for each taping day. For a Tuesday taping, everyone is simply instructed to be available for both Tuesday and Wednesday, and they bring in twelve new contestants; for a Wednesday, there are two SoCal-based alternates who will usually return to tape for real a few weeks later. This was a Tuesday taping, so it just means they only had one holdover to Wednesday. I don't know if that means they quickly found a third SoCal alternate for Wednesday.
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Only one local alternate on that day, who did get on (possibly due to availability on the unusual Monday-Tuesday taping schedule due to the closeness to the holiday season. NOTE: Also partly rescheduled by A.T.'s knee surgery.
Last edited by TreeOfHeaven on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TreeOfHeaven wrote:
ThreeIfByAir wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Only one local alternate on that day, who did get on (possibly due to availability on the unusual Monday-Tuesday taping schedule due to the closeness to the holiday season. NOTE: Also partly rescheduled by A.T.'s knee surgery. Two more locals were originally called in for the next day, but the LA Unified School District bomb threat that morning resulted in an additional alternate - a special-education teacher in the district who actually walked to the studio from his home really close by.
To tag one more question on (if you don't mind):
Spoiler
Do you know if Claudia's placement on the Monday show was planned in some way or the result of the random draw?
OCSam