Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 26, 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 26, 2016

Post by mahatma »

John Boy wrote:
Stovetop wrote:
Lampy wrote:
Stovetop wrote:for #9 the numbers were 84 and 105, so the answer should be 3.
It was the greatest common factor.

Thanks... back to math class for me...
Ugh. Back to reading class for me. I was looking for the least common denominator/factor. Not that would have helped, as I "solved" it as 7, not 3. So I guess it's back to reading class and back to math class.
But then, wouldn't the answer (LCF) have been 1? Isn't it always?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Yep. Least common factor isn't really a "thing". I mean, you could define it, but it's just not very interesting.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

44 (not 18, 23, 28, 34, 35 or 41)
Took it off of sherder's video. (Thanks, sherder! :D )
Last edited by Carpe Diem on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm giving myself a 46 on this. I didn't know The Girl on the Train, adult coloring book, or geotag, and I got spoiled on Warhol and am not sure I would have gotten him.
SpiffJumper227
Contributor

Post by SpiffJumper227 »

It felt 'pretty good' to me. I think about 45, which I hope works, because there is an audition close to me this year. The only previous time I've made an audition required a bit of a drive.

A huge thanks to woof for the current topics refresher. I studied it while waiting at the mechanic for my car. I had blanked on Stieg Larsson a few years back. It made me suspicious this year. Looking at woof's list, I told myself that they're going to ask something about The Martian or Girl On A Train. I've never met you, but you definitely earned a shout out if I make it to the big dance.

A big thanks to my kids. Lots of time spent in Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Flowers and Mandelas immediately gave me adult coloring book. I've also never heard ACB, but it fit.

I teach physiology, so I had spleen, but another double bonus for me was that the majority of my graduate work was done by using capillary electrophoresis (on ions, no less). It illustrates the power, or good fortune, to run across that fluky question(s) that tells you, this board is mine. Has anyone else run into that phenomenon?

Good Luck, All!
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

SpiffJumper227 wrote:Flowers and Mandelas immediately gave me adult coloring book...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I usually get about 38-42 on these tests. I did Thursday's and got a 34, which may be my personal worst. I did a lot better on this one, with 41 or 42 depending on whether you give me question 20 on which I spent about 11 seconds saying "I know this! I know this" and may or may not have had time to type in the whole response.
kmwest
Contributor

Post by kmwest »

I missed ten for sure. I doubt they'll take "The Girl on the Tube" so that one's out also, same with Ajax instead of Lysol.

I don't remember what I put for the almonds/marzipan, Thornton Wilder, cardigan, or Top Chef questions, so I got at least 34. I hope that's good enough for the Minneapolis tryouts, I live here and would be happy to just go downtown and give it a shot!

Ralph