2016 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by OrangeSAM »

Woppy T wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The C___ ____s ended their drought of __8 years by winning the 2016 World Series.
for some reason, a George Carlin routine just popped into my head.
Of course, my immature mind jumped to MadLibs.
OCSam
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

MarkBarrett wrote:The C___ ____s ended their drought of __8 years by winning the 2016 World Series.
(hicago Cub) (10)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Theo Epstein was the youngest general manager in MLB history when the Red Sox hired him; on his watch, the BoSox ended The Curse of the Bambino. The Cubs hired him as President of Baseball Operations; on his watch there, the Cubs ended The Billy Goat Curse.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

In late October, Swedish tax authorities officially declared this man dead, 71 years after his disappearance.
Spoiler
Raoul Wallenberg
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

"Closer", by the Chainsmokers, was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 12 weeks, surpassing "One Dance," by Drake featuring WizKid and Kyla, which was #1 for ten weeks.

The all-time record for longest stint on top (16 weeks) belongs to "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Peachbox wrote:In late October, Swedish tax authorities officially declared this man dead, 71 years after his disappearance.
Spoiler
Raoul Wallenberg
I can see that being an FJ. He comes up a good bit so the writers seem to like him.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Andy Murray of Great Britain replaced Novak Djokovic as the #1-ranked player in men's tennis after winning the Paris Masters tournament. He again defeated Djokovic in the ATP Finals in November. Murray also won a gold medal in men's singles at the Rio Olympics.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

9021amyers wrote:
(hicago Cub) (10)
With an estimated 5 million in attendance, the Cubs victory parade was the 7th largest human gathering and the largest in the western hemisphere
http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/215601786-story
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Former Attorney General Janet Reno has died.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Peachbox wrote:In late October, Swedish tax authorities officially declared this man dead, 71 years after his disappearance.
Spoiler
Raoul Wallenberg
He is one of eight honorary U.S. citizens. The others are Winston Churchill, Bernardo de Galvez, Marquis de Lafayette, Mother Teresa, William and Hannah Penn, and Casimir Pulaski.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The United States of America has died at the age of 240.

It had a good run.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Donald John Trump (in case a J! question asks for his middle name) defeats Hillary Rodham Clinton to become the 45th President of the United States.

I've spent the last 6 hours staring at the results in utter disbelief.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

xxaaaxx wrote:Donald John Trump (in case a J! question asks for his middle name) defeats Hillary Rodham Clinton to become the 45th President of the United States.

I'm not sleeping tonight.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Watching Colbert's special on Showtime is great fun!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Johnblue wrote:Watching Colbert's special on Showtime is great fun!
I've been alternating between listening to podcasts in my bedroom and watching comedies on Netflix downstairs all night, and I haven't been able to laugh once.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37923826

Sharbat Gula, made famous by a National Geographic cover in 1985 (yes, that one), has been deported from Pakistan to Afghanistan after she was convicted of having fake ID papers. She had served a 15-day prison sentence in hospital where she was treated for hepatitis C.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

xxaaaxx wrote:Donald John Trump (in case a J! question asks for his middle name) defeats Hillary Rodham Clinton to become the 45th President of the United States.

Presidential middle names are immediately Jeopardy canon. Good looking out. We can add Wharton School of Business (at the Ivy League U. of Pennsylvania) to the list of presidential Alma Maters. He has a bachelor's degree, not an MBA (W is still the only pres with one of those). His first lady is the Slovenian Melania, nee Knauss (or Knavs), he's got a bunch of kids with a bunch of wives ("The only divorced president" is about to become obsolete too. The first 2 were Ivana, mother of Ivanka, and Marla, nee Maples, Dancing with the Stars contestant and mother of Tiffany. She's the only American born of his 3 wives. I don't know which wife goes with which son. For Jeopardy purposes, I don't think it matters). (Actually, maybe it does. Ivana is also the mother of Don Jr. and Eric. Ivanka is the middle child.)(And for completeness sake, Ivanka is nee Zelníčková.)(Barron is the son with Melania.)(I'm done with the parentheses.)

What other Trump stuff might reasonably come up that isn't already tip of the tongue? I don't think people need to be reminded of The Apprentice and "You're Fired", for instance. He's the first WWE Hall of Famer to be elected, but that's just pure trivia. 2nd Hollywood Walk of Famer to be elected (Reagan was the first). Author of "The Art of the Deal" and "Surviving at the Top", both NY Times #1 bestsellers, as well as other books. Cameoed in "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York". etc.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
What other Trump stuff might reasonably come up that isn't already tip of the tongue? I don't think people need to be reminded of The Apprentice and "You're Fired", for instance. He's the first WWE Hall of Famer to be elected, but that's just pure trivia. 2nd Hollywood Walk of Famer to be elected (Reagan was the first). Author of "The Art of the Deal" and "Surviving at the Top", both NY Times #1 bestsellers, as well as other books. Cameoed in "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York". etc.
Trump Card was a game show from the 1990-91 season and was filmed at Trump Castle in Atlantic City. The host was Jimmy Cefalo who played for the Dolphins.

Louisa Adams the wife of JQ was born in London so Melania will be only the second First Lady to have been born outside the U.S.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Don't forget that Donald Trump is now the oldest person ever elected president [EDIT: to a first term]. He turned 70 last June. Reagan didn't turn 70 until he'd been president for two and a half weeks.