2016 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Not seeing the mistake? Or are you thinking Mount Rushmore?
That's what I'm thinking, but I don't think that Mount Rushmore is actually a mountain, so it wouldn't fit the category.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Not seeing the mistake? Or are you thinking Mount Rushmore?
That's what I'm thinking, but I don't think that Mount Rushmore is actually a mountain, so it wouldn't fit the category.
Well, I don't think any of the Black Hills qualifies as a 'traditional' mountain (but if they do, Rushmore qualifies). Regrettably that particular FJ day is still missing a full transcript so we may never know what really happened.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:
Well, I don't think any of the Black Hills qualifies as a 'traditional' mountain (but if they do, Rushmore qualifies). Regrettably that particular FJ day is still missing a full transcript so we may never know what really happened.
That's a fair interpretation. In fact, you'll notice for the clue I wrote, I changed the category to U.S. Geography (at first I put Mountains, too). Their clue mentions Peak and Hills, so I expect they were vacillating too.

"Most famous" is dangerous wording in any trivia contest.
Volante

Post by Volante »

File this under TV series to know, especially considering they might have to (finally) move on from the Breaking Bad well:

Stranger Things, Netflix, starring Winona Ryder, created by the Duffer Brothers. "Love letter to 80s horror."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:
That's a fair interpretation. In fact, you'll notice for the clue I wrote, I changed the category to U.S. Geography (at first I put Mountains, too). Their clue mentions Peak and Hills, so I expect they were vacillating too.

As far as I know I don't have the 4/16/91 game on tape. What I do have is my score sheet from the game. MOUNTAINS was the FJ! category.

*Burt: 6100+4499=10599
Sheila: minus 400
Tom: 800+799=1599

Back then I did not write down my FJ! response and I only made a notation of Y or N. I have a Y for that game. There is zero chance I had Harney Peak. There is Ivory Soap chance I had Mount Rushmore and I would think that is what the players had as well.

Perhaps J! had Harney Peak as an "Acc:" and when the "collected finals" was produced that made it in instead?

*Burt finished that game as a 4x champ with $39,001. What happened to him in game 5? Minus 2700. Ouch.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:

As far as I know I don't have the 4/16/91 game on tape. What I do have is my score sheet from the game. MOUNTAINS was the FJ! category.

*Burt: 6100+4499=10599
Sheila: minus 400
Tom: 800+799=1599

Back then I did not write down my FJ! response and I only made a notation of Y or N. I have a Y for that game. There is zero chance I had Harney Peak. There is Ivory Soap chance I had Mount Rushmore and I would think that is what the players had as well.

Perhaps J! had Harney Peak as an "Acc:" and when the "collected finals" was produced that made it in instead?

*Burt finished that game as a 4x champ with $39,001. What happened to him in game 5? Minus 2700. Ouch.
I thought maybe we could track him down and ask him what he responded, but it looks like he passed in 2013 :(

http://www.oakeys.com/m/?p=memorial&id=1017157

Anyway, your answer makes the most sense. There are some glitches in that database. I suspect this is one of them.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Huma Abedin, one of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's top aides, said on Monday that she was separating from her husband, Anthony "Carlos Danger" Weiner.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-peopl ... SKCN1141QT

(Ha, they later used Carlos Danger in the article. I only paid attention to the first paragraph initially and thought I remembered something Reuters didn't.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Gene Wilder has died at age 83.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Summer Olympics Wrap-Up (if anyone spots an error or thinks something should be added, please chime in):

Track and field’s governing body banned Russia’s athletics (track and field) team amid allegations of state-sponsored doping.

Swimmer Michael Phelps added to his record for the most-ever gold medals (23 gold, 28 medals overall) won by an Olympic athlete. At Rio he won his 12th and 13th career individual gold medals (the rest were awarded in relay events); that tied, then broke, the record set in the ancient Olympics in the second century B.C. by Leonidas of Rhodes. Phelps also became the first male swimmer to compete in five different Olympic Games [Dara Torres accomplished that feat in 2008, and did so in non-consecutive Games (she was not on the team in 2004)].

Usain Bolt of Jamaica won the gold medal in the 100 meters, 200 meters, and 4x100 meter relay for the third consecutive Olympics.

In swimming, Katie Ledecky of the U.S. not only won four gold medals but did so in a dominating fashion rarely seen in sports.

U.S. track and field athlete Allyson Felix won her fifth and sixth Olympic gold medals, making her second only to swimmer Jenny Thompson (8) as the American woman with the most career golds. Felix also holds the Olympics record for most gold medals won in women’s track and field.

Simone Biles of the U.S. won the gold medal in individual all-around gymnastics. The U.S. women’s team won the gold medal in all-around gymnastics.

Simone Manuel of the U.S. became the first African-American woman to win an individual Olympic gold medal in swimming.

Brianna Rollins, Nia Ali, and Kristi Castlin of the U.S. swept the 100-meter hurdles, the first time in Olympics history that any country has won all three medals in that event.

In football, Brazil's men's team defeated Germany, in a shootout. The U.S. women's team lost to Sweden in the first round of the knockout stage; and Germany defeated Sweden in the final.

Brazilian authorities charged American swimmer Ryan Lochte with filing a false police report after claiming that he had been robbed. Lochte will compete in this fall’s season of Dancing With the Stars.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Blue Lion: Thank for not not being a day late with the medal-winning women gymnasts from other countries for those of us in LL who needed that information a day ago.

The one thing I would add to the Olympic list is Fiji winning its first Olympic medal of any kind when the men won Gold in Rugby sevens.

For sports J! I could see a combo FJ! clue asking for the two Simones you listed.

With a lot of these things on this thread some are more relevant to one, but not all of J!, Sports J!, Learned League or pub trivia.

A big story from the Rio games was New Zealand runner Nikki Hamblin falling and being helped up by injured America Abbey D’Agostino. I would guess it's more LL if it ends up being used at all anywhere.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I'm not sure if any of these will ever come up, but just in case...
Blue Lion wrote:Track and field’s governing body banned Russia’s athletics (track and field) team amid allegations of state-sponsored doping.
Darya Klishina, a long jumper, was the only Russian competitor in track and field, having lived and trained in the US for the last few years. (Obviously they won't ask for her name, but a question about the rest of the team being banned might be framed around this.)

Mónica Puig, a tennis player, became the first athlete to win a gold medal while representing Puerto Rico and the first woman to win any Olympic medal while representing Puerto Rico. (I haven't looked into whether any Puerto Ricans have won medals representing the US.)

Michael Phelps got a silver medal for the 100m butterfly in a three-way tie with Chad le Clos and Laszlo Cseh. Joseph Schooling of Singapore won gold.

The Modern Pentathlon still exists for some reason and still gets asked about. Swimming, fencing, making an unfamiliar horse jump over things, running and shooting. :roll:
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MarkBarrett wrote:With a lot of these things on this thread some are more relevant to one, but not all of J!, Sports J!, Learned League or pub trivia.
I agree completely. Most of the sports questions on the online test are on the order of "This Seattle Seahawks QB married Ciara before the 2016 season". Sometimes you'll see--pardon the pun--semi-tough sports questions in regular Jeopardy.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Blue Lion wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:With a lot of these things on this thread some are more relevant to one, but not all of J!, Sports J!, Learned League or pub trivia.
I agree completely. Most of the sports questions on the online test are on the order of "This Seattle Seahawks QB married Ciara before the 2016 season". Sometimes you'll see--pardon the pun--semi-tough sports questions in regular Jeopardy.
I would classify this one as the type for a certain kinds of pub trivia hosts.

David Lee received an Olympic medal at the 2016 Rio games for playing this sport.
Spoiler
David Lee the volleyball player earned a bronze medal. David Lee the NBA player was not part of Team USA in basketball. :) [ducks]
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Islam Karimov, the "president" of O'zbekiston Respublikasi, aka Uzbekistan, since its separation from the Commonwealth of Independent States, died today. While he was elected twice, the puppet parliament kept extending the length of his terms. His daughter has been doing some of the ruling of The Respublikasi off-and-on for the past few years, but whether or not opposition forces will see the change in power as a time to take over is TBD.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Islam Karimov, the "president" of O'zbekiston Respublikasi, aka Uzbekistan, since its separation from the Commonwealth of Independent States, died today. While he was elected twice, the puppet parliament kept extending the length of his terms. His daughter has been doing some of the ruling of The Respublikasi off-and-on for the past few years, but whether or not opposition forces will see the change in power as a time to take over is TBD.
To be precise, Uzbekistan separated from the crumbling Soviet Union, announcing its independence shortly after the August Coup. It's still a member of the Commonwealth of Independent States.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Islam Karimov, the "president" of O'zbekiston Respublikasi, aka Uzbekistan, since its separation from the Commonwealth of Independent States, died today. While he was elected twice, the puppet parliament kept extending the length of his terms. His daughter has been doing some of the ruling of The Respublikasi off-and-on for the past few years, but whether or not opposition forces will see the change in power as a time to take over is TBD.
Herman Cain could not be reached for comment.
Volante

Post by Volante »

In yet even more death news, ITT Technical Institute has been shuttered.
http://www.snopes.com/2016/09/06/itt-te ... -business/

As has Phyllis Schlafly
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote:In yet even more death news, ITT Technical Institute has been shuttered.
http://www.snopes.com/2016/09/06/itt-te ... -business/

As has Phyllis Schlafly

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html
and which one will be lamented less? </snark>
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Volante wrote:Okay, this happened at the start of the month, but just remembered about it

Dos Equis retires The Most Interesting Man in the World by sending him on a...
Spoiler
One way mission to Mars
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-intere ... ke-a-wish/
Dos Equis has lined up a replacement. He's a French actor named Augustin Legrand: http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drink ... -the-world
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Arnold Palmer dies at the age of 87.