FJs for the 2/29/16 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 2/29/16 week?

Poll ended at Thu May 26, 2016 8:37 pm

In 2006 a former llama herder became president of this country
20%
It was said "his accent which started out as pure American Middle West" became "quite British U"
51%
Settled in the 1780s, it’s the only state capital without a McDonald’s
58%
In the 1690s its legislature referred to this place as "his majesty's ancient colony and dominion"
62%
In 1972 this anthemic song became the first Billboard chart-topper by an Australian-born artist
31%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
4%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
10%
BACKING BANDS $1600: Billy Vera
30%
THE LAST MAN $1200 (DD): In 1996 Delaware's Billy Bailey became the last condemned murderer to be put to death in the U.S. this way
43%
THE TYPE OF TRANSPORT $1000: Named for a New York City borough president, the Guy V. Molinari
35%
Peru or Argentina was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
52%
Carl Sandburg was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
12%
Jamestown was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
13%
Plymouth or something about Massachusetts was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
5%
I did not know Helen Reddy was Australia-born.
52%
I responded "rest & relaxation" for the R&R clue from Thursday. (Please post if you had "rest & recreation" instead.)
61%

Total votes: 130

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 2/29/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lena Horne-type weather is bringing March in like a lion outside, so I am going to post this early before the wind and trees defeat local power lines.

2/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS

2/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2006 a former llama herder became president of this country

3/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY POETS

3/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It was said "his accent which started out as pure American Middle West" became "quite British U"

3/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS

3/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Settled in the 1780s, it’s the only state capital without a McDonald’s

3/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

3/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1690s its legislature referred to this place as "his majesty's ancient colony and dominion"

3/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POP MUSIC MILESTONES

3/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1972 this anthemic song became the first Billboard chart-topper by an Australian-born artist

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Bolivia
T.S. Eliot
Montpelier
Virginia
"I Am Woman"
The players were 4/15 (26.66%) with a 2-0-1-1-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two triple stumpers sandwiching a requested missed Daily Double. There was a request for the Sen. Marchi clue in THE TYPE OF TRANSPORT, but I did not see his name. I did the Molinari clue in guessing that was the one meant.

BACKING BANDS $1600: Billy Vera

THE LAST MAN $1200 (DD): In 1996 Delaware's Billy Bailey became the last condemned murderer to be put to death in the U.S. this way

THE TYPE OF TRANSPORT $1000: Named for a New York City borough president, the Guy V. Molinari

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
the Beaters
hanging
ferry
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 2/29/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Peru
Sandburg
Columbus, OH
electric chair
no guess on the ferry
rest & relaxation
I knew Helen Reddy was an Aussie
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Peru on Monday, and then aced the rest of the week. But Friday was a classic example of an FJ that I definitely would have missed on a different day.

My mind started to wander through "anthemic" songs of the early 70s: American Pie? Not Australian. Something by the Bee Gees, who were Australian? Not Staying Alive; that was late 70s. It seemed like they wanted a solo artist, and perhaps a song that was vaguely political in some way... It clicked this time, but on another night it wouldn't have, and it felt like a challenging clue. It helps that I did already know Helen Reddy was Australian.

I'm proud of coming up with the correct response on the Molinari transportation clue. I didn't previously know the name, but since the clue specifically avoided naming which NYC borough they were talking about, it made me think "I bet this is the Staten Island ferry!"

I knew Billy Vera was with the Beaters, but that category was a 4/5 for me, as I'm sure it was for many others on this board. I got them all except Grace Potter, who I don't remember ever having heard of. (Sorry, Grace!)
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Peru Monday
Thursday, thought Virgina too obvious and made the leap from ancient colony to Roanoke colony to North Carolina

Did not know Billy Vera
Went with electric chair, would have thought hanging, at least in an Eastern state, ended earlier.
R&R means rest and recreation to me
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Peru Monday.

I clammed on R&R because I wasn't sure if the first word was "rest".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Argentina
Sandburg
knew ferry (it's one of the SI ferries)
relaxation (although I knew -- and have used -- recreation)
No clue Reddy was an Aussie
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Of FJ, I got all but Bolivia. Didn't know, and I guess Peru is llama land to me. There was enough in the poets clue to make it the most instant of gets, but were we really expected to know what "quite British U" means? Also not crazy about "it was said of" clues minus attribution, but maybe I'm an old grump. Old enough, at least, to think of Helen Reddy almost immediately. I knew "ancient" meant "old" and Montpelier's McDonaldslessness I learned of on one of the J! boards.

Of the extras, knew only the Staten Island ferry. And I think I have usually said "and recuperation".

P.S. I forgot to click "Peru or Argentina" in the survey.
Last edited by Lefty on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rest and recreation
I knew Helen Reddy was Aussie
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Lefty wrote:....P.S. I forgot to click "Peru or Argentina" in the survey.
Psst! You can go back and check that box until the poll closes on May 26.
OCSam
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Mon - Peru
Fri - "Down Under" Didn't know Helen Reddy was Australian. Didn't know Helen Reddy period.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

I was between Bolivia and Peru on Monday and went the wrong way; I was spoiled only on Juneau being a wrong answer for Wednesday's FJ, and believe I would have said that (as it was, my inclination with Juneau eliminated was toward Montpelier); and I thought the crux of Thursday's FJ was to know who was king in the 1690s and what state was named after him, and said Georgia. The dumb thing is my first inclination was Virginia, but that was just a gut reaction and I felt it was too obvious, so I started combing over the clue for a key, saw "His Majesty," and figured that was it. I guess I was looking more for a reason to eliminate Virginia than to confirm it; otherwise I might have zeroed in on "ancient... dominion."

I decided a New York transport must be a subway. Silly me.

DBear and I are thus far the only ones to guess "I Am Woman" without having known Helen Reddy was Australian.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :( :(

Wrong guesses: Peru, Salt Lake City (thought it was too far west, but couldn't talk myself into anything), Jamestown (I hate "this place" which gives no help on if they're going for a city, state, etc. Reminds me of the Times of India FJ! a few years back), — (oof; barely recognized the name Helen Reddy and I had no idea "I am woman, hear me roar" came from a song).
I was sure Eliot was wrong, too.

Said rest and relaxation.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Lefty wrote:....P.S. I forgot to click "Peru or Argentina" in the survey.
Psst! You can go back and check that box until the poll closes on May 26.
Wow. I did it, but it felt sort of...shady.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Well I did not expect Monday's FJ to poll so low.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Lefty wrote:Of FJ, I got all but Bolivia. Didn't know, and I guess Peru is llama land to me.
According to Sinatra, it is:

"Come fly with me, let's float down to Peru
In llama-land there's a one-man band
And he'll toot his flute for you"
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Monday: I thought it was a terrible FJ clue -- a total YEKIOYD, and neg-baity. I had Peru because you see llamas everywhere at Machu Picchu. As TPH would say, WLT Bolivia?

Wednesday: a dartboard clue. I had Juneau, and I found Alex's comment unhelpful -- like I was supposed to know how big Montpelier was compared to some other state capitals? (other than the obvious, like it wasn't going to be a city like Boston)

Friday: I never knew Helen Reddy was Australian, plus "anthem" made me think of songs you'd hear in a sports arena or stadium. I went with "Rock & Roll Part 1" by Gary Glitter although I guess "Part 2" is more of the anthemy one.

On the extra clues, Billy Vera & the Beaters, that great 1-hit wonder, was a slam-dunk, since I've often performed their one hit, "At This Moment," at karaoke. :D Had gas chamber for the method of execution that was phased out.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote:like I was supposed to know how big Montpelier was compared to some other state capitals?
I thought it was a standard trivia chestnut that Montpelier has a four-digit population and is the smallest capital city. I mean, Juneau is an attractive answer because of its inaccessibility and I won't fault anyone for guessing it, but scoffing at the idea that a Jeopardy hopeful would be expected to know that Montpelier is tiny makes it seem like there isn't much hope for you.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I didn't know that Helen Reddy was Australian, but then again, I wasn't sure that she was NOT Australian. So based on 1972 and "anthemic," I went with Reddy because of "I Am Woman." As for R&R, I said "rest and recreation," but I've heard it both ways.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

seaborgium wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:like I was supposed to know how big Montpelier was compared to some other state capitals?
I thought it was a standard trivia chestnut that Montpelier has a four-digit population and is the smallest capital city. I mean, Juneau is an attractive answer because of its inaccessibility and I won't fault anyone for guessing it, but scoffing at the idea that a Jeopardy hopeful would be expected to know that Montpelier is tiny makes it seem like there isn't much hope for you.
Considering the caliber of some of the people in the game thread who missed this one, your statement is hyperbole at the very least. We all have "trivia chestnuts" that we haven't heard until we hear them. Of course I knew that Montpelier is small but so are some other capital cities like Augusta (population under 20,000). With the possible exception of Austin Powers and Schliemann and a couple others, we all have holes in our knowledge bases, which we do our best to plug over time. And with my online test scores and other markers like cumulative FJ performance, there's obviously plenty of hope for me if I get The Call. So lay off the H-Bomb.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

seaborgium wrote:
DBear and I are thus far the only ones to guess "I Am Woman" without having known Helen Reddy was Australian.
Well, there's at least three of us now.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca