TD 291--The 88th Academy Awards

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Re: TD 291--The 88th Academy Awards

Post by mitchparov »

Sorry, obviously something is wrong with how I'm entering totebags into the post text. The scoring looks like it should all still be correct, and I've corrected the post above. Thanks, all!
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

7. Along with Inside Out and Carol, I think Sicario probably should have gotten a Best Picture nomination. Name another Oscar-nominated film (any category or categories) that features Benicio Del Toro.

7 correct answers.

Traffic (received Oscars for Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Benicio), Best Adapated Screenplay, and Best Film Editing, and was nominated for Best Picture)--6
Crocker Jarmen
9021amyers
OSXpert
Caboom
Tigershark
Bipolar Bear

21 Grams (nominated for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor (Benicio))--4
totebags
quarterrican
goforthetie
Kirbstar

The Usual Suspects (received Oscars for Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Screenplay)--3
dott888
Carpe Diem
Gamawire

Inherent Vice (nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Costume Design)--1
ChexMix

DROP--0
jev15
MarkBarrett
This is Aoba

INCORRECT ANSWERS--10

Zorro--I'm guessing you were going for The Mask of Zorro, which was nominated for Best Sound and Best Sound Editing, but did not feature Benicio.
kettledrum

Fourth Drop ("That's Numberwang!")
econgator

Unused Answers
Fearless (nominated for Best Supporting Actress)
The Wolfman (received an Oscar for Best Makeup)
Guardians of the Galaxy (nominated for Best Makeup and Best Visual Effects)
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

8. Many people think that, despite its immense success in technical categories, Mad Max: Fury Road was robbed of statues in the more "major" categories. Although George Miller is notoriously slippery about the relationship between the films in the Mad Max franchise, the film is at least arguably a sequel to his original Mad Max trilogy. Name another sequel to have been nominated for multiple Oscars. (I'll be generous with what I count as a sequel here, but if you want to message me and ask "is [film Y] a sequel of [film Z], I'll answer those questions.) Clarification: prequels do not count as correct answers to this question.

I haven't counted all of the possible correct answers

The Godfather: Part II (won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Art Direction, Best Score, nominated for Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Costume Design, and received two additional nominations for Best Supporting Actor)--5
Crocker Jarmen
econgator
Caboom
Gamawire
Bipolar Bear

Toy Story 3 (won Best Animated Feature and Best Song, nominated for Best Picture, Best Sound Editing, and Best Adapted Screenplay)--2
jev15
This is Aoba

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (won Best Sound Editing and Best Visual Effects, nominated for Best Picture, Best Editing, Best Art Direction, and Best Sound)--2
9021amyers
quarterrican

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Editing, Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup, Best Score, Best Song, Best Sound Mixing, Best Visual Effects)--2
OSXpert
Kirbstar

The Dark Knight (won Best Supporting Actor and Best Sound Editing, nominated for Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Art Direction, Best Makeup, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Visual Effects)--1
totebags

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (nominated for Best Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, Best Visual Effects, and Best Score)--1
Carpe Diem

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (won Best Visual Effects, nominated for Best Score)--1
MarkBarrett

The Bourne Ultimatum (won Best Editing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Sound Mixing)--1
ChexMix

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (won Best Sound, Best Sound Editing, Best Visual Effects, and Best Makeup)--1
Tigershark

Aliens (won Best Sound Editing and Best Visual Effects, nominated for Best Actress, Best Editing, Best Sound Editing, Best Art Direction, and Best Score)--1
kettledrum

INCORRECT ANSWERS--7

Toy Story 2--nominated only for Best Original Song
dott888

The Lost World: Jurassic Park--nominated only for Best Visual Effects
goforthetie

Some Notable Unused Answers (not a complete list)
The Godfather: Part III (nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Art Direction, Best Song)
Airport '77 (nominated for Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design)
Elizabeth: The Golden Age (won Best Costume Design, nominated for Best Actress)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (nominated for Best Visual Effects and Best Score)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (nominated for Best Visual Effects and Best Art Direction)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (nominated for Best Visual Effects, Best Art Direction, and Best Makeup)
The Spy Who Loved Me (nominated for Best Art Direction, Best Song, and Best Score)
Skyfall (won Best Sound Editing and Best Song, nominated for Best Cinematography (Deakins!), Best Sound Mixing, and Best Score)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (won Best Visual Effects, nominated for Best Art Direction, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Sound Editing)
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (nominated for Best Makeup and Best Visual Effects)
The Color of Money (won Best Actor, nominated for Best Supporting Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Art Direction)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (won Best Sound Editing, nominated for Best Sound and Best Score)
The Empire Strikes Back (won Best Sound, nominated for Best Art Direction and Best Score)
Return of the Jedi (nominated for Best Art Direction, Best Sound, Best Sound Editing, and Best Score)
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (nominated for Best Cinematography, Best Sound, Best Sound Editing, and Best Score)
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (nominated for Best Sound Editing and Best Makeup)
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

9. My final should've gotten-a-best-picture-nomination film was Ex Machina. It may also have included some of the strongest performances of the year, from all three of the main actors, Alicia Vikander, Oscar Isaac, and Domnhall Gleeson. Gleeson has had a truly remarkable career in just a few years; name a film in which he appears which has been nominated for multiple Oscars.

9 correct answers.

Brooklyn (nominated for Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Adapted Screenplay)--4
totebags
jev15
quarterrican
Tigershark

Ex Machina (won Best Visual Effects, nominated for Best Original Screenplay)--4
9021amyers
Caboom
MarkBarrett
Kirbstar

The Revenant (won Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Cinematography, nominated for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Editing, Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup, and Best Production Design)--3
Carpe Diem
Gamawire
Bipolar Bear

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (nominated for Best Editing, Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Score)--2
kettledrum
goforthetie

Unbroken (nominated for Best Cinematography (Deakins!), Best Sound Editing, and Best Sound Mixing)--1
ChexMix

True Grit (nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Cinematography (Deakins!), Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Costume Design, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Art Direction)--1
This is Aoba

DROP--0
dott888

INCORRECT ANSWERS--8

Mr. Nobbs--my best guess here is that you were thinking of Brendan Gleeson, and going for Albert Nobbs, which was nominated for Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Makeup
Crocker Jarmen

Avengers: Age of Ultron--not nominated for any Oscars, and I don't think Gleeson appeared in it
OSXpert

Fifth Drop ("Can't say I've heard of him")
econgator

Unused Answers
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (nominated for Best Visual Effects and Best Art Direction)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (nominated for Best Visual Effects, Best Art Direction, and Best Makeup)
Anna Karenina (won Best Costume Design, nominated for Best Cinematography, Best Score, and Best Production Design)
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

(1 point bonus: name two films in which he [Domnhall Gleeson] has appeared that have grossed over $1,000,000,000 worldwide. No penalty for incorrect guesses).

I believe there are only two correct answers: Star Wars, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II. According to the latest numbers I can find, Deathly Hallows: Part 1 has grossed $960,283,305 worldwide. If anyone thinks they gave a correct pair besides Star Wars and Part II, point me to a source, and I'll happily reconsider it.

One point bonus to:

quarterrican
goforthetie
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

Score update after nine questions & the bonus (this is it for today):

1: This is Aoba (12)* (previously 2)
2: ChexMix (15)* (previously T6)
3: MarkBarrett (19)* (previously T9)
4: Bipolar Bear (20)* (previously 1)
5: Kirbstar (21) (previously T3)

T6: Tigershark (22)* (previously T3)
T6: Gamawire (22)* (previously T6)
8: Carpe Diem (23)* (previously 11)
9: kettledrum (24)* (previously T3)
10: goforthetie (25)* (previously 8)

11: quarterrican (26)* (previously 12)
12: jev15 (28)* (previously T16)
13: Caboom (29)* (previously T9)
14: 9021amyers (30)* (previously T13)
15: totebags (32) (previously 18)

16: OSXpert (34)* (previously T13)
T17: Crocker Jarmen (41) (previously T16)
T17: econgator (41)* (previously T13)
19: dott888 (46)* (previously 19)

*used drop
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

Total brain fart on my end. Completely slipped my mind that Deathly Hallows was split into 2 parts. I would have been guessing on which of the two parts was the higher grosser, but I feel reasonably confident I would have said part 2 if I gave it some thought. Over confidence on that one cost me.
Crocker Jarmen
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Crocker Jarmen »

mitchparov wrote:
Mr. Nobbs--my best guess here is that you were thinking of Brendan Gleeson, and going for Albert Nobbs, which was nominated for Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Makeup
Crocker Jarmen
That's right. I have no idea who Brendan Gleeson is, but I remembered seeing a "Gleeson" in the credits of Albert Nobbs when I was debating whether or not to watch it on Netflix the other day.

Good game. Thanks for the great questions. Congrats to all.
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

10. I really did think 2015 was a great year for movies, but if I had to pick a favorite film from the batch, it might be The Martian. I also think it's the best Ridley Scott movie I've seen. Name a feature film directed by Ridley Scott that I either haven't seen or didn't think was as good as The Martian.

22 correct answers.

Alien--4
Crocker Jarmen
econgator
OSXpert
kettledrum

Thelma & Louise--2
Caboom
MarkBarrett

A Good Year--2
quarterrican
ChexMix

Gladiator--2
Tigershark
Bipolar Bear

White Squall--1
totebags

Kingdom of Heaven--1
9021amyers

Prometheus--1
jev15

Matchstick Men--1
goforthetie

Robin Hood--1
Carpe Diem

The Counselor--1
Gamawire

Blade Runner--1
Kirbstar

Black Hawk Down--1
This is Aoba

INCORRECT ANSWERS--6

Transformers--this was Michael Bay
dott888

Unused Answers
The Duellists
Legend
Someone to Watch Over Me
Black Rain
1492: Conquest of Paradise
G.I. Jane
Hannibal
American Gangster
Body of Lies
Exodus: Gods and Kings
Last edited by mitchparov on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

11. In the text of this TD (including all questions and the tiebreakers), I've mentioned by name four films that were nominated for Best Picture this year. Name an Oscar-nominated (any year, any category) actor (either gender) who made a credited appearance in one or more of the other four nominated films.

I count 14 correct answers, but may have missed someone.

Joan Allen (Room: one nomination for Best Actress, two nominations for Best Supporting Actress)--3
goforthetie
Carpe Diem
Tigershark

Rachel McAdams (Spotlight: one nomination for Best Supporting Actress)--2
totebags
Caboom

Michael Keaton (Spotlight: one nomination for Best Actor)--1
Crocker Jarmen

Mark Ruffalo (Spotlight: three nominations for Best Supporting Actor)--1
OSXpert

Alan Alda (Bridge of Spies: one nomination for Best Supporting Actor)--1
jev15

William H. Macy (Room: one nomination for Best Supporting Actor)--1
quarterrican

Tom Hanks (Bridge of Spies: two Oscars for Best Actor, three additional nominations for Best Actor)--1
kettledrum

Jim Broadbent (Brooklyn: one Oscar for Best Supporting Actor)--1
ChexMix

INCORRECT ANSWERS--5

Charlize Theron--Mad Max: Fury Road was mentioned in question 8, and she did not appear in any other Best Picture nominee this year. It turns out that Charlize Theron was not a correct answer to any question on this TD, not just question 2.
dott888
This is Aoba

Matt Damon--The Martian was mentioned in question 10, and he did not appear in any other Best Picture nominee this year.
econgator

Eddie Redmayne--The Danish Girl was not nominated for Best Picture, nor were his other projects from this year (Jupiter Ascending and a Thomas the Tank Engine movie).
9021amyers

Alicia Vikander--neither Ex Machina nor The Danish Girl was nominated for Best Picture.
Gamawire

Christian Bale--The Big Short was mentioned in the bonus, and he did not appear in any other Best Picture nominee this year.
Kirbstar

Leonardo DiCaprio--The Revenant was mentioned in question 6, and he did not appear in any other Best Picture nominee this year.
Bipolar Bear

Chiwetel Ejiofor--The Martian was mentioned in question 10, and he did not appear in any other Best Picture nominee this year.
MarkBarrett

Unused Answers
Saoirse Ronan (Brooklyn: one nomination for Best Actress, one nomination for Best Supporting Actress)
Julie Walters (Brooklyn: one nomination for Best Actress, one nomination for Best Supporting Actress)
Stanley Tucci (Spotlight: one nomination for Best Supporting Actor)
Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies: one Oscar for Best Supporting Actor)
Amy Ryan (Bridge of Spies: one nomination for Best Supporting Actor, lost in what I think might have been the worst single-award snub in Oscar history)
Brie Larson (Room: one Oscar for Best Actress)

The Best Picture nominees had a lot of Oscar nominees in them this year. Besides the 14 above, in the four films I did mention, we also have:

Charlize Theron (Mad Max: one Oscar for Best Actress and one nomination for Best Supporting Actress)
Tom Hardy (Mad Max and The Revenant: one nomination for Best Supporting Actor)
Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant: one Oscar for Best Actor, one nomination for Best Picture, three additional nominations for Best Actor, and one nomination for Best Supporting Actor)
Melissa Leo (The Big Short: one Oscar for Best Supporting Actress and one nomination for Best Actress)
Brad Pitt (The Big Short: one Oscar for Best Picture, two additional nominations for Best Picture, two nominations for Best Actor, and one nomination for Best Supporting Actor)
Marisa Tomei (The Big Short: one Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, one nomination for Best Actress, and one additional nomination for Best Supporting Actress)
Steve Carell (The Big Short: one nomination for Best Actor)
Christian Bale (The Big Short: one Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, one nomination for Best Actor, and one additional nomination for Best Supporting Actor)
Ryan Gosling (The Big Short: one nomination for Best Actor)
Matt Damon (The Martian: one Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, two nominations for Best Actor, and one nomination for Best Supporting Actor)
Jessica Chastain (The Martian: one nomination for Best Actress and one nomination for Best Supporting Actress)
Kristen Wiig (The Martian: one nomination for Best Original Screenplay)
Chiwetel Ejiofor (The Martian: one nomination for Best Actor)
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

That's it for answers. I'll wait a little bit before posting final scores and standings, in case I've made a mistake or folks want to dispute anything.
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

Hearing no objections...

A quick reminder about the tiebreaker: For the second year in a row, Alejandro Iñárritu won a Best Director Oscar he didn't deserve. This year's could have reasonably gone to any of the other nominees, or to a few directors who weren't nominated, but if I were an Oscar voter, I probably would've voted for Adam McKay, who did truly groundbreaking work on The Big Short. McKay's prior work isn't exactly Oscar bait, but my favorite of his previous films is probably Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. Among other things, Talladega Nights had one hell of a cast--name as many credited cast members from Talladega Nights as you can. You can send as long a list as you'd like, but you only get credit for your first stretch of correct answers--I'll stop counting at the first incorrect answer. And quick clarification: people who appeared as themselves do NOT count.

For our 19th through 10th place finishers, we have an Academy Scientific and Technical Award---the awards given out at the ceremony before the Oscars and always summarized by the hosts during the Oscar ceremony...

19th, with 57 points, dott888
18th, with 50 points, econgator
17th, with 46 points, Crocker Jarmen
16th, with 39 points, OSXpert
15th, with 36 points, 9021amyers
14th, with 35 points, totebags
13th, with 33 points, Caboom
12th, with 30 points, jev15
11th, with 29 points, kettledrum (broken on the tiebreaker: kettledrum listed Will Ferrell, for a tiebreaker score of 1)
10th, with 29 points, goforthetie (broken on the tiebreaker: goforthetie listed Will Ferrell, Sacha Baron Cohen, John C. Reilly, Fisher (I'm assuming you meant Isla Fisher?), and others. Isla Fisher was not in Talladega Nights (I can't find anyone else named Fisher either), so goforthetie's score was 3)
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

For our 9th through 6th place finishers, we have a gig hosting the Oscars. Not sure if that's a prize or not, but it's what we have!

9th, with 29 points, quarterrican (broken on the tiebreaker: quarterrican listed Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Jane Lynch, Gary Cole, Molly Shannon, Sacha Baron Cohen, Andy Richter, Lesley Bibb, Amy Adams, Greg Germann, Jack McBrayer, Michael Clarke Duncan, and David Koechner, for a tiebreaker score of 13.)*
8th, with 28 points, Gamawire
7th, with 27 points, Kirbstar (broken on the tiebreaker: Kirbstar listed Will Ferrell and Sacha Baron Cohen for a tiebreaker score of 2)
6th, with 27 points, Tigershark (broken on the tiebreaker: Tigershark listed Will Ferrell, Sacha Baron Cohen, and John C. Reilly for a tiebreaker score of 3)

*The only person with a higher tiebreaker score was 9021amyers, who had 14, adding Ian Roberts and Adam McKay, but not including Greg Germann. Besides the names they listed (between them, they named every correct name to appear in any bonus answer), the other names that jump out at me from the Talladega Nights cast are Pat Hingle and Rob Riggle.
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

For our fifth and fourth place finishers, we have Oscar nominations in the category of their choosing.

5th, with 27 points, Bipolar Bear (broken on the tiebreaker: Bipolar Bear listed Will Ferrell, Sacha Baron Cohen, Jane Lynch, and Michael Clarke Duncan for a tiebreaker score of 4)
4th, with 27 points, Carpe Diem (broken on the tiebreaker: Carpe Diem listed Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Sacha Baron Cohen, Leslie Bibb, Jane Lynch, and Gary Cole, for a tiebreaker score of 6)
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

For our third place finisher, an Oscar in the now-defunct category of Best Title Writing

With 26 points, MarkBarrett!
Last edited by mitchparov on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

For our runner-up, an Oscar from another defunct category--Best Assistant Director!

With 18 points, broken on the tiebreaker (listing Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and Sacha Baron Cohen, for a tiebreaker score of 3)...

This is Aoba!
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

And our champion receives an Oscar for Best Cinematography, beating poor old Roger Deakins yet again...

With a score of 18 points, and only one question with a score higher than 2, broken on the tiebreaker (listing Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Sacha Baron Cohen, Amy Adams, Michael Clarke Duncan, and Isla Fisher for a tiebreaker score of 5)...

ChexMix!
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

That wraps it up. Thanks for playing, everyone. Again, sorry if the questions ended up a bit too tough for folks--that definitely wasn't my intent!
Crocker Jarmen
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Crocker Jarmen »

Never mind, answered my own question.

Good game, good questions.
Last edited by Crocker Jarmen on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

Movies and film and pretty much wheelhouse for me, so this may be the last one I'm competitive in until the 89th Academy Awards :lol:. Thanks for the great TD Mitch, hope more similar ones are in the pipeline.