Thursday, April 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, April 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

Rackme32 wrote:
harrumph wrote:Anvil was a fair clue, it required instantly recalling the name of an object used in a bygone profession.
Yeah.... But who on this board has NOT seen Looney Tunes or Animaniacs? :)

p.s. I wonder if that was a genuine ACME anvil on the video... :)

Er... GMTA :)
From Anvilania, no less!

(Animaniacs is on Netflix Streaming. It's been a good month.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

Music is one of those strongly personal categories and often wired to your early-life preferences. You can provide arcane details about some but absolutely nothing about many mainstream musicians. For me, the oxygen clue was a 1 in 118 shot, given the category (I'd probably rule out ununpentium). If it's country or rap or anything before about 1975, I have almost no chance.

The FJ is probably one of those question that isn't good trivia. As read, with the far from New England clue, it's more on a level with celebrity Jeopardy than the teens. Without the New England clue, it's random (45m for Idaho, 58m for New Hampshire, 42m for Pennsylvania if you don't specify land).

It did seem to be an easier show than usual, but the contestants still rocked it. Margaret's range seems impressive.
EJVA
Contributor

Post by EJVA »

SBurrus wrote:
EJVA wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Choked up when Alex did, not gonna lie.
I missed the show. What caused Alex to choke up?
It was his mother's 95th birthday and they showed a picture of her as he wished her Happy Birthday.
Thanks. That is awesome.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Rackme32 wrote:
I've seen Wayne's World... Once. That's once too many, but I do remember a couple scenes, but not Tia Carrere singing (if you want to call it that). I just watched a minute or so of the video to see what you were talking about. That was all I could take.
You dissed Wayne's World four times in that passage. Chill.

And you said you didn't remember Tia Carrere singing, but than dissed her singing anyway. Chill.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I just get riled up, as a space buff, that folks often think of anything launching off the eastern coast of Florida as "Cape Canaveral/Cape Kennedy."
I think you're being pedantic here. KSC and Cape Canaveral AFS are conterminous, after all. One could argue that the KSC launch pads are actually situated on the geographical feature named "Cape Canaveral." They're just a couple miles north, in an event, and on the same spit of land.
Sure, they are two different things, but most of us around here simply refer to the whole area as "the Cape", as in "A rocket launched from the Cape today." It's all the same to us. :)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

EJVA wrote:
SBurrus wrote:
EJVA wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Choked up when Alex did, not gonna lie.
I missed the show. What caused Alex to choke up?
It was his mother's 95th birthday and they showed a picture of her as he wished her Happy Birthday.
Thanks. That is awesome.
https://amp.twimg.com/v/dcd97221-a861-4 ... 928f89a26b
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Animaniacs is on Netflix. I found this out when my sister told me, and I wanted to punch her.

So what I'm guessing is that the Sweet clue is mainly more gettable if you're significantly older than my age of 29.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Animaniacs is on Netflix. I found this out when my sister told me, and I wanted to punch her.

So what I'm guessing is that the Sweet clue is mainly more gettable if you're significantly older than my age of 29.
I'm 48 and I never heard of that song or the band.

And I agree with those who thought the ranch category was a Kids Week category. No, an anvil isn't something the average person sees every day, but it is a comic staple of cartoons. And sharecropping (not really a ranch thing I thought) at the bottom?

Alex normally wishes his mom a happy birthday but I've never seen him get emotional about it. I wonder if she is in bad health?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Animaniacs is on Netflix. I found this out when my sister told me, and I wanted to punch her.

Or if you can read between the lines in the category and clue and can name various elements.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Gemini Bowie
Contributor

Post by Gemini Bowie »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
And, point of order -- Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center are not one and the same! Canaveral (called Cape Kennedy for awhile, hence the common confusion) is the Air Force station where the pre-Apollo manned launches were; it's still used for unmanned launches like the Atlas V and Titan III and IV launches. Kennedy Space Center is on Merritt Island, just north up the coast. Apollo 11 lifted off from KSC, not Canaveral.
It doesn't appear to me that neither KSC nor Cape Canaveral are actually "No Fly Zones" - Prohibited airspace, but KSC is Restricted airspace - flight into which is permissible with permission. You can fly through restricted airspace if the controlling agency gives you permission, either directly or via ATC.

R-2932 Cape Canaveral, FL
R-2933 Cape Canaveral, FL
R-2934 Cape Canaveral, FL
R-2935 Cape Canaveral, FL

Also see FAR 91.143 Flight limitation in the proximity of space flight operations.

When a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) is issued in accordance with this section, no person may operate any aircraft of U.S. registry, or pilot any aircraft under the authority of an airman certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, within areas designated in a NOTAM for space flight operation except when authorized by ATC.

Perhaps a local pilot can comment?

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

If anything was incorrectly valued in that elemental songs category, it was placing the only Black Sabbath song most people know at $2000
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

silverscreentest wrote:Got my highest Coryat over the last two seasons.

Pennsylvania has a 42 mile maritime border, but is not too far from New England.
Unless you have to walk it with a gas can in your hand.... :roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Absolutely awesome game. Margaret may look like a stereotypical librarian but she played the game like a ninja assassin. Calm, deadly. That, boys and girls, is how the game is meant to be played. (and any criticism of DD-wagering too small, or whatever, I say look at the final result).

My hat is off to the dear lady and I am really looking forward to another game or seven from her.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:So what I'm guessing is that the Sweet clue is mainly more gettable if you're significantly older than my age of 29.
I'm 48 and I never heard of that song or the band.
OK, I'll grant that the age of 29 (especially considering you don't listen to much other than country) makes this significantly more difficult for you.

But, Bama, I am very surprised you don't know them. I have always found that your experiences and mine (even if off by a few years) are very closely aligned.
Vermonter wrote:If anything was incorrectly valued in that elemental songs category, it was placing the only Black Sabbath song most people know at $2000
I thought it was correctly placed simply because it was the only lyric in the bunch that I didn't know cold.

But, I concede confirmation bias.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:Or if you can read between the lines in the category and clue and can name various elements.
Apparently you read between the lines with an electron microscope then, because I still don't think that it was even remotely obvious even if you didn't know the song outright.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Or if you can read between the lines in the category and clue and can name various elements.
Apparently you read between the lines with an electron microscope then, because I still don't think that it was even remotely obvious even if you didn't know the song outright.
What element works better?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
That's my point. NONE of them seemed to work.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
That's my point. NONE of them seemed to work.
What? You're saying that the lines Love is like oxygen; you get too much, you get too high; not enough and you're gonna die do not make any sense from an elemental standpoint? Or from some other standpoint?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:What? You're saying that the lines Love is like oxygen; you get too much, you get too high; not enough and you're gonna die do not make any sense from an elemental standpoint? Or from some other standpoint?

Brian
No, I'm saying that looking at the clue entirely as "Love is like [insert the name of an element here]" and nothing else didn't work for me either, since no element seemed to make sense there.