FJs for the 4/18/16 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/18/16 week?

Poll ended at Thu May 26, 2016 7:59 pm

This WWII icon was created in a 1943 song that says, "That little frail can do more than a male can do"
97%
In 1705 he wrote, "And, if it should then return, we shall have no reason to doubt but the rest must return too"
64%
This word dates back to the 19th century & referred to what the sun did to roofless seating
63%
This city that’s home to an NFL team is named for an 18th-century British Prime Minister
49%
In May 1810 during one of his more famous exploits, he employed the breaststroke
23%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
11%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
U.S. GOVERNORS $600: Governor of Texas in the 1960s, this politician welcomed President Kennedy on his last trip
63%
OLYMPIC ATHLETES $1000: This 1920s star was nicknamed "The King of Runners" & "The Flying Finn"
48%
AMERICA THE HISTORICAL $1000: On May 31, 1889 a dam collapse led to this Pennsylvania city's flood, killing 2,200 people
68%
PORTMANTEAU WORDS $400: It's the crossbred pooch seen here - I was correct with cockapoo
18%
Like Andrew I was 5/5 on CAPITAL CITY OVERLAPS on Tuesday.
37%
Isaac Newton was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
24%
Baltimore was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
17%
Cleveland was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
3%
Seeing Harriet Tubman's picture in the news about the upcoming currency change helped me know to guess Sojourner Truth in the Thursday game.
25%

Total votes: 116

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 4/18/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN ICONS

4/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This WWII icon was created in a 1943 song that says, "That little frail can do more than a male can do"

4/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
18th CENTURY BRITISH SCIENTISTS

4/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1705 he wrote, "And, if it should then return, we shall have no reason to doubt but the rest must return too"

4/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AT THE OLD BALL GAME

4/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word dates back to the 19th century & referred to what the sun did to roofless seating

4/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITY NAME ORIGINS

4/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This city that’s home to an NFL team is named for an 18th-century British Prime Minister

4/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY BRITS

4/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In May 1810 during one of his more famous exploits, he employed the breaststroke

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Rosie the Riveter
(Edmond) Halley
bleachers
Pittsburgh
Lord Byron
The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 3-1-1-0-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have one correct by the players followed by two triple stumpers.

U.S. GOVERNORS $600: Governor of Texas in the 1960s, this politician welcomed President Kennedy on his last trip

OLYMPIC ATHLETES $1000: This 1920s star was nicknamed "The King of Runners" & "The Flying Finn"

AMERICA THE HISTORICAL $1000: On May 31, 1889 a dam collapse led to this Pennsylvania city's flood, killing 2,200 people

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Connally
Paavo Nurmi
Johnstown
It's the crossbred pooch seen here

Cuba & Kenya - Havanairobi
Finland & Ukraine - Helsinkiev
Australia & Morocco - Canberrabat
Afghanistan & Mongolia - Kabulanbator
Peru & Bahrain - Limanama
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 4/18/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
goldendoodle
Andrew was too fast on the CAPITAL CITY OVERLAPS for me to go 5/5 even though I know all the cities.
benchwarming
Did not guess Harriet Tubman and clammed on guessing Sojourner Truth.
Lord Nelson
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :( :D :( :( :(
:D :D :D :D

After 20 consecutive correct responses in FJ, I got pummeled the last four days. On the other hand, my Coryats were strong in these games.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nearly went with Newton Tuesday until Halley occurred to me at the last second

labradoodle for the dog

Did not see part of the Capital Cities category and the Sojurnor Truth question.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

On Friday, my precall based on the category name was Cecil Rhodes.

When the clue was revealed, I considered explorers and naval heroes, and I also had a vague memory that one of the Romantic poets had made a famous swim, but that memory was extremely hazy and I didn't know which Romantic poet it was.

I briefly considered Livingstone, but I wrote down Shelley on my little notepad, and then at the very last second I replaced it with Nelson.

I got Johnstown right, but I was very tentative about it, and I'm not sure whether I would have rung in on the show. That might be the type of clue where I wait for someone else to neg, and then if they say "Jonestown" then I say "Johnstown". (I also wasn't 100% positive it wasn't called "Jamestown".)

I also get confused by the Paul Newman hockey movie "Slap Shot", which I think may be inspired partly by Johnstown, but the movie takes place in a city called "Charlestown". I don't remember if they specify in the movie whether Charlestown is supposed to be in Western Pennsylvania.

I went 4/5 in Capital City Overlaps. I missed the last one because I don't know the capital of Bahrain.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

skullturf wrote:I went 4/5 in Capital City Overlaps. I missed the last one because I don't know the capital of Bahrain.
That

Also said Jonestown, not Johnstown.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

No chance Friday; I said the Duke of Wellington to say something.
No idea on the dog breed.
I was 0/5 on Capital City Overlaps, mostly because Andrew got the answer while I was still working.
I might have said Tubman without the $20 news but clammed and got Truth on the rebound.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Forgot Bahrain's capital.

Glad Leander got Friday's FJ!.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :( :( :(

It would be more accurate to say Isaac Newton was my thing-I-said-because-something-is-better-than-nothing on Tuesday. I didn't think for a second it was right, unless he came up with his theory of gravity much later than I thought. Which he didn't.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

My experience is more like "Seeing Harriet Tubman's picture in the news about the upcoming currency change helped me know that that was not Harriet Tubman pictured."
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

I whiffed with labradoodle even though my very first dog was a cockapoo.

I kept tripping up on the Capital City overlaps because they kept turning into other capitals between my brain and mouth. I think I was 0/5.

Newton Tuesday, no guess Thursday.

I knew the Tubman news but still went with her because I associate Sojourner with Michigan.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Newton for Tuesday, and Livingstone for Friday.
Got 4 out of 5 in the capitals category (only missing the last one), and mistakenly said Jonestown for the flood clue.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

Went 5-for-5 in the capital city overlaps category, and I really liked the category. More, please.

Didn't come up with cockapoo.

I don't recall actually seeing any photos of Tubman when reading about the big currency news. Even so, when I was watching the episode I thought, "That doesn't look like Tubman" -- but I still negged with her.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

dhkendall wrote:My experience is more like "Seeing Harriet Tubman's picture in the news about the upcoming currency change helped me know that that was not Harriet Tubman pictured."
Yup, me too.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

Thursday: Oakland (WAG)
Friday: no response

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Foxborough/Foxboro on Thursday. No guess on Friday. Would have gotten Nurmi some days.

I think I had all of the capitals. The only part I don't remember for sure is if I got them before Andrew had said them. Knew cockapoo.

33233334[20ToC]2324244233[42CC]3341433443, 93 - 67
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

skullturf wrote:I also get confused by the Paul Newman hockey movie "Slap Shot", which I think may be inspired partly by Johnstown, but the movie takes place in a city called "Charlestown". I don't remember if they specify in the movie whether Charlestown is supposed to be in Western Pennsylvania.
The dog that saved Charlestown! No, I don't think they really specify where Charlestown is, but it's obviously a rust belt location. It was partially filmed in Johnstown, though. That's where the dog statue is located.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076723/locations
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Knew Newton was too simple, but since I couldn't think of anyone else, I decided that Newton was talking about one of the laws of motion... :oops: Scorcher wasn't the worst guess on Wed.
All the dog negs helped me to get cockapoo after an initial clam...4/5 on the capitals.
Odd emphasis on old English guys in FJ this week...but I'm not complaining... ;)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:My experience is more like "Seeing Harriet Tubman's picture in the news about the upcoming currency change helped me know that that was not Harriet Tubman pictured."
You too, huh? Without the picture she would of course have been my Pavlovian response. With the picture, had to go to Plan B: Sojourner. And that's the Truth.