TD 294: 12 Angry Men- FINAL STANDINGS

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

TD 294: 12 Angry Men- FINAL STANDINGS

Post by jev15 »

Thank you, jurors, for answering the call for TD 294, a quiz designed to honor the film which best captures this important civic duty, Sidney Lumet's 1957 classic, 12 Angry Men. There are 12 questions here, and the number 12 will come up quite frequently, as you will see. Before we get started, the rules:

-The goal is to achieve the lowest score
-Your score is equal to the number of people giving your answer
-You can (and should) ABSTAIN from one question and receive a score of 0
-Wrong answers will receive the sheep score (most common answer) plus 3
-There is a bonus question after Question 10. A correct answer will take 3 points off your final score.
-No cheating or research allowed
-Submissions due by 5:00pm on Monday, May 9, by private message or google form at: http://goo.gl/forms/zvujLRndSo

OK, that ought to do it. Questions in the next post.
Last edited by jev15 on Thu May 12, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 294: 12 Angry Men

Post by jev15 »

Hello and welcome to Think Different 294! Our questions this time take their inspiration from Sidney Lumet’s 1957 classic about a contentious jury deliberation in a seemingly open-and-shut case. Don’t worry if you’ve never seen the movie (although you absolutely should, it’s a classic.) Each question will merely be inspired by a juror, going in order from one to twelve.
With that settled, jurors, start deliberating over the answers to these questions.

1. Juror #1 is a football coach played by Martin Balsam. Name one of the last 12 men to have been the head coach of a Super Bowl-winning NFL team. Repeat winners count only once. (12 possible answers, going back to Super Bowl XXXV.)

2. Juror #2 is a banker played by John Fiedler. If you’ve seen the movie, you probably recognized Fiedler as the voice of Piglet from Disney’s Winnie-the-Pooh Adventures. In honor of Fiedler’s voice work, twelve cartoon characters are listed below. Pick one and name the voice artist who brought them to life. (In cases where more than one person has voiced a character, I have provided the date range of the answer I am looking for.)
Spoiler
a. Homer Simpson
b. Scooby Doo (1969-1996)
c. Bugs Bunny (1938-1989)
d. Donald Duck (1934-1985)
e. Huckleberry Hound (1958-1988)
f. Chris Griffin
g. Eric Cartman
h. Sterling Archer
i. Louise Belcher
j. The Joker (in Batman: The Animated Series, 1992-1995)
k. Hank Hill
l. Kim Possible
3. Juror #3 is a businessman played by Lee J. Cobb. Juror #3 is famously the last to come around and vote Not Guilty. In honor of that, I’ve written twelve questions centered on Famous Lasts. Pick one and provide the correct answer.
Spoiler
a. Daniel Day-Lewis plays Hawkeye in what 1992 movie, whose title character is played by Russell Means?
b. Who is the last Major League Baseball player to qualify for the batting title with an average over .400?
c. What music group’s final concert was captured on film in The Last Waltz?
d. What comedian currently stars as Mike Baxter in the ABC sitcom Last Man Standing?
e. What Donna Summer song appeared on the soundtrack of the 1978 movie Thank God it’s Friday, winning the Academy Award for Best Original Song?
f. Joe E. Brown delivers the famous last line, “Well, nobody’s perfect” in what 1959 film?
g. In testimony before the U.S. Senate in April 1971, what future senator asked the question, “How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?”
h. 1976’s Family Plot was the last movie by what legendary director?
i. Milvina Dean, a British civil servant who died on May 31, 2009, was the last survivor of what event?
j. What American sitcom’s final episode is titled “One for the Road”?
k. What author’s final, unfinished novel has been published under the titles The Last Tycoon and The Love of the Last Tycoon?
l. Who was the last person to become U.S. President while a member of the Whig Party?
4. Juror #4 is a stockbroker played by E.G. Marshall. Pick one of the 12 NYSE stock symbols listed below and name the company that it represents. (Please include the letter you are choosing as part of your response.)
Spoiler
a. KO
b. WMT
c. F
d. M
e. S
f. LUV
g. HOG
h. ADM
i. T
j. V
k. XOM
l. PG
5. Juror #5, played by Jack Klugman, is a Baltimore Orioles fan, something that Juror #7 pokes fun at him for. Baltimore is the largest city in Maryland but is not the state capital. (That would be Annapolis.) Name a state capital that IS the most populous city in its state. (17 possible answers. Please include both the city and the state in your response. Again, looking for cities that are both the state capital and most populous in the state, unlike Baltimore.)

6. Juror #6 is a house painter played by Edward Binns. Let’s focus on the word “painter” and turn our attention to one of the most famous of them all, Leonardo da Vinci. Aside from the Mona Lisa, Leonardo’s most famous work is probably The Last Supper. There are of course 13 people depicted in this great work of art. Name one of the twelve who aren’t Jesus Christ. (Note: first name only is acceptable except when it is shared by more than one person.)

7. Juror #7 is played by Jack Warden. He is a Yankee fan who is angry that the prolonged deliberations may keep him from going to a ballgame. Twelve unique New York Yankees have been named American League MVP since the Baseball Writers Association of America began voting on the award in 1931. Name one.

8. Juror #8 is of course played by Henry Fonda. His character is most famous as the lone holdout voting not guilty at the start of the deliberations, but at the end of the movie he reveals the he is an architect. Name the principal credited architect for one of the buildings listed below. Please cite the letter of the clue along with your answer.
Spoiler
a. The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao
b. Taliesin
c. The White House
d. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
e. TWA Flight Center at JFK
f. Sydney Opera House
g. Lincoln Memorial
h. London Aquatics Centre
i. The Farnsworth House (Plano, IL)
j. Flatiron Building
k. Sagrada Familia
l. St. Paul’s Cathedral
9. Juror #9 is an old man played by Joseph Sweeney. He is the second juror to vote not guilty. In honor of that, let’s focus on another #2 slot, presidential running mates. Name one of the last 12 unique individuals to be the prospective Vice President on a Republican ticket. (List includes winners and losers, repeat nominees count once.)

10. Juror #10 is an inveterate racist played by Ed Begley. In one of the more memorable scenes in the film, the other jurors turn their back on Juror #10 when he goes on a particularly obnoxious rant. Let’s follow suit and ignore this juror. Instead, here’s a question on courtroom movies in general. I’ve named 12 characters from famous movies about court proceedings. Pick one and name the actor who played the role in the original theatrical release. I’ve included the year the movie came out to help you.
Spoiler
a. Atticus Finch (1962)
b. Arthur Kirkland (1979)
c. Paul Biegler (1959)
d. Rozat “Rusty” Sabich (1990)
e. Frank Galvin (1982)
f. Col. Nathan R. Jessup (1992)
g. Jake Tyler Brigance (1996)
h. Matthew Harrison Brady (1960)
i. Mona Lisa Vito (1992)
j. Joanna Kramer (1979)
k. Elle Woods (2001)
l. Lt. Cmdr. Philip Francis Queeq (1954)
Bonus: 11 of the 12 possible correct answers to this question have won an Academy Award in an acting category. Name the only one who has not.

11. Juror #11 is a watchmaker played by George Voskovec. In real life, Mr. Voskovec was a bit of a renaissance man, being a playwright and poet in addition to his acting career. Focusing on poetry, I have listed the opening line or lines of 12 famous poems below. Pick one and name the poet who composed it.
Spoiler
a. “In Xanadu did Kubla Khan/A stately pleasure dome decree”
b. “The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the Mudville nine that day”
c. “Half a league, half a league/Half a league onward”
d. “Something there is that doesn’t love a wall”
e. “My candle burns at both ends/It will not last the night”
f. “Morning and evening/Maids heard the goblins cry”
g. “I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky”
h. “You do not do, you do not do/Anymore, black shoe”
i. “Razors pain you/Rivers are damp”
j. “You may write me down in history/With your bitter twisted lies”
k. “Had we but world enough and time/This coyness, lady, were no crime”
l. “The one-l lama/He’s a priest”
12. Juror #12, played by Robert Webber, works in advertising. I thought about doing a question based on famous advertising slogans, but that idea bored me. So instead I present to you 12 questions centering on the number 12. Please pick one and provide the correct answer.
Spoiler
a. What 1965 movie’s large ensemble cast included retired NFL star Jim Brown, future director John Cassevetes, Donald Sutherland, Charles Bronson, and , in a small role, Robert Webber?
b. Ratified in 1804, the 12th Amendment to the Constitution altered the rules governing what institution, which had run into unforeseen difficulties in 1796 and 1800?
c. What actor plays the Twelfth Doctor on BBC’s Doctor Who?
d. What NFL team retired the number twelve to honor their fans, the so-called “Twelfth Man” on the team?
e. More than 400 years after its first performance, what play was loosely adapted into the 2006 Amanda Bynes movie She’s the Man?
f. Who authored the memoir 12 Years a Slave, detailing his kidnapping and period of enslavement?
g. Who directed the 1970 comedy The Twelve Chairs, set in 1920s Russia?
h. Who was the twelfth president of the United States of America?
i. In December 1972, Harrison “Jack” Schmitt became the twelfth and to date last person to do what?
j. Hosea, Amos, Obadiah, and Micah are four of the twelve books of the Christian Bible collectively known by what diminutive term?
k. Twelve is the highest score on what scale that measures the force of wind?
l. In the standard version of the holiday carol, arranged by Frederic Austin in 1909, what is the gift “my true love sent to me” on the twelfth day of Christmas?
Last edited by jev15 on Tue May 03, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

TD 294 is now open for business! Jurors, submit your answers by Monday, May 9, at 5:00pm. Please let me know if you need any clarifications.

Many thanks to Vermonter, who tested the questions and provided some valuable advice. This is my first TD, hope you enjoy it!
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

There's no place to enter your username on the form.
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

It looks excellent! I can't wait to enter it!
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Thank you, Armandillo. I've edited the form to include a space for your username at the top.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jev15 wrote:Thank you, Armandillo. I've edited the form to include a space for your username at the top.
I submitted my entry before the form was fixed and put my username in the blank along with my answer for Q1. With either a post in the thread for all the entries received or a PM, please let me know I'm set for being in the game.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Is the letter associated with our chosen answer required?
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Is the letter associated with our chosen answer required?
It looks like I only included that language on Q4 and Q8. So for those questions it is definitely required. On the other ones with lettered options, I won't penalize you for leaving off the letter, but I would appreciate it if you would include it.
colonialrampage
Valued Contributor

Post by colonialrampage »

jev15 wrote: 1. Juror #1 is a football coach played by Martin Balsam. Name one of the last 12 men to have been the head coach of a Super Bowl-winning NFL team. Repeat winners count only once. (12 possible answers, going back to Super Bowl XXV.)
I started making a list of Super Bowl winning coaches within this time frame and I got more than 12. Did you possibly mean going back to Super Bowl XXXV?
colonialrampage
Valued Contributor

Post by colonialrampage »

(Duplicate post)
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Darn it. I made a terrible typo in Q1. Thank you, colonialrampage.

The last 12 coaches list goes back to Super Bowl XXXV (35), not XXV (25). If you submitted an answer based on the error that you believe is wrong, please feel free to re-submit an answer to me by PM.

Very sorry about this.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

I've got around 30 entries so far. Really thrilled by the turnout; it should be quite a contest.

I'm bumping this thread to make sure everyone who has already submitted sees the corrected typo in Q1. Once again, I initially used the wrong Roman numeral. The list only goes back to Super Bowl 35. If you submitted an answer before the correction that you now believe is wrong, please send me a PM with a new answer. For all entries from this point forward, only your first answer to Q1 will be considered.

I apologize for the mistake, but I am going to stick to the intended list of 12 correct answers. Thank you.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

bUmP
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Last day for entries! Since I have a softball game after work tonight, you can have until 8:00pm Eastern time/5:00pm Pacific to get in your entries.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

jev15 wrote:Last day for entries! Since I have a softball game after work tonight, you can have until 8:00pm Eastern time/5:00pm Pacific to get in your entries.
Last minute google form submitted @11:50! 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Batraxos
Multiple Swimmer

Post by Batraxos »

jev15 wrote:Last day for entries! Since I have a softball game after work tonight, you can have until 8:00pm Eastern time/5:00pm Pacific to get in your entries.
Thank you.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

TD 294 is now closed! Here's a list of our 59 participants. Thank you all for playing. I will have the reveal of Q1 up as soon as I can.

Mark Barrett
OSXpert
9021amyers
Peachbox
Mujason
Jillyjill
Lindap
Sburrus
CoachP
Gamawire
Quarterrican
Krustallos
MitchO
ElendilPickle
This is Aoba
DadofTwins
geolawyerman
Plactus
Rackme32
colonialrampage
Totebags
thethirdmoose
Michaelk
Immaf
Ryno
SlickRick87
Blue Lion
Goroshnik
Leander
Kirbstar
dott888
Bipolar Bear
RichmondJ
Dougforte
Clprez
Vermonter
Rusty's in the Club
RandyG
drdoug41
Bamaman
Armandillo
Tigershark
Xxaaaxx
BulgarianBeast
Ouachiouat
WoppyT
Goatman
Sillymonkey
Woof
Patkav
Mitchparov
tjconn728
ChexMix
Econgator
Batraxos
BigDaddyMatty
Dnbguy
Tabby
Magna
Last edited by jev15 on Mon May 09, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

One of us (you or I) had a freudian slip with my name.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Q1. Juror #1 is a football coach played by Martin Balsam. Name one of the last 12 men to have been the head coach of a Super Bowl-winning NFL team. Repeat winners count only once. (12 possible answers, going back to Super Bowl XXXV.)

Horrible job by me making a terrible typo. Thanks to colonialrampage for catching that early and thanks to those who changed their answers to keep the original meaning of the question intact.

Anyway, here are your answers for Q1:

SHEEP: Sean Payton (9 responses)
Gamawire
totebags
Vermonter
Armandillo
Tigershark
xxaaaxx
Woof
patkav
mitchparov

Pete Carroll (8 responses)
OSXpert
lindap
SBurrus
CoachP
Krustallos
Rackme32
RichmondJ
WoppyT

Tom Coughlin (7 responses)
MitchO
SlickRick87
goroshnik
leander
dott888
drdoug41
ouachiouat

Tony Dungy (7 responses)
Mark Barrett
michaelk
Blue Lion
kirbstar
clprez
Bamaman
Tabby

Bill Belichick (5 responses, spelling not penalized)
Elendilpickle
thethirdmoose
immaf
sillymonkey
Batraxos

John Harbaugh (4 responses)
Peachbox
BulgarianBeast
tjconn728
dnbguy

Jon Gruden (4 responses)
geolawyerman
dougforte
econgator
BigDaddyMatty

Brian Billick (4 responses)
9021amyers
quarterrican
DadofTwins
ChexMix

Bill Cowher (3 responses)
Plactus
Rusty's in the Club
RandyG

Mike Tomlin (2 responses)
mujason
Bipolar Bear

Mike McCarthy (2 responses)
colonialrampage
Ryno

ABSTAIN (0 points)
jillyjill
Magna

WRONG (Sheep + 3 = 12)
This is Aoba (Jimmy Johnson)
Goatman (Mike Ditka)

The only unused answer is also the most recent, Gary Kubiak, head coach of the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50.
Last edited by jev15 on Mon May 09, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.