Tuesday, May 3, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

jsterlacci wrote:If Nicole had doubled me and I had bet nothing, we would have had a tiebreaker. I *did* pay attention to the rules! I swear!
Thanks for the official confirmation on that point. Turns out I'm the one who didn't know the rules. You're just the guy who got so nervous he forgot them! :lol: I'm glad that didn't affect the outcome. That would've been a heartbreaker.
jsterlacci wrote:Also: If you're the opusthepenguin from Vimeo, thank you so much for posting my episode! Most of my friends and family missed the first portion of the episode due to the ABC News interruption, and they wanted to know how the game progressed, so you are a lifesaver!
Yep, that's me. Glad I could help. When you have a game like that, you want everyone to see the whole thing!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:
Golf wrote:If a typical Jeopardy clue asked where the U.S. involvement in WWII began everybody here would say Pearl Harbor.
If a typical Jeopardy clue asked where the U.S. involvement in WWII ended everybody here would say the USS Missouri.

Those two facts separately are yawners. So apparently many people got tripped up by the tricky wording of the clue. Interesting.
I think the "everybody" that knows USS Missouri is a fair bit lower than the "everybody" that knows Pearl Harbor, or even the slightly smaller "everybody" that knows the USS Arizona. If a FJ clue gave basic facts and asked for the Arizona, I'm guessing it would poll in the 80-90% range. A similar clue asking for the Missouri, I suspect would be more in the 60-70% range. This is purely my hunch based on anecdotal evidence.
9/18/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR II

9/18/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Because time was short, only this ship's starboard side, used for boarding, was repainted September 1, 1945

This clue went 64% in the weekly poll.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Golf wrote:If a typical Jeopardy clue asked where the U.S. involvement in WWII began everybody here would say Pearl Harbor.
If a typical Jeopardy clue asked where the U.S. involvement in WWII ended everybody here would say the USS Missouri.

Those two facts separately are yawners. So apparently many people got tripped up by the tricky wording of the clue. Interesting.
I think the "everybody" that knows USS Missouri is a fair bit lower than the "everybody" that knows Pearl Harbor, or even the slightly smaller "everybody" that knows the USS Arizona. If a FJ clue gave basic facts and asked for the Arizona, I'm guessing it would poll in the 80-90% range. A similar clue asking for the Missouri, I suspect would be more in the 60-70% range. This is purely my hunch based on anecdotal evidence.
9/18/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR II

Because time was short, only this ship's starboard side, used for boarding, was repainted September 1, 1945

Haha, I just looked up the same poll, and was a bit surprised to find that I got it wrong!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:9/18/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR II

Haha, I just looked up the same poll, and was a bit surprised to find that I got it wrong!
To be fair, it's the most obscure fact ever and should never be asked on Jeopardy! unless they have some tournament of WWII scholars. :D
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:9/18/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR II

To be fair, it's the most obscure fact ever and should never be asked on Jeopardy! unless they have some tournament of WWII scholars. :D
2013 Jeff was a bit of a dummy, I've learned a great deal since then.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Not only did I not get it in 2013, I didn't remember it for very long. I had no recollection of ever having heard that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
brick

Post by brick »

As has been said, many of us were looking for military bookends. The official surrender no more entered my thinking than the official declaration of war did.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I looked up the game thread and said it was an instaget. I got this one too, but I agree it was a little clunky.

Surprised some said Hiroshima. That would not be a U.S. memorial.
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:I looked up the game thread and said it was an instaget. I got this one too, but I agree it was a little clunky.

The clue does not specify a US memorial.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

brick wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I looked up the game thread and said it was an instaget. I got this one too, but I agree it was a little clunky.

The category did.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
brick

Post by brick »

Volante wrote:
brick wrote:

The category did.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I am not following your conclusion – Iwo Jima is a U.S. memorial, for example, so it's possible there are others named for locations abroad.

(Plus "Hiroshima" > " ")
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
davey

Post by davey »

Vermonter wrote:

I am not following your conclusion – Iwo Jima is a U.S. memorial, for example, so it's possible there are others named for locations abroad.

(Plus "Hiroshima" > " ")
It's not so surprising that there's no U.S. government-sanctioned memorial to the dead at Hiroshima. The closest that a short search yields is this, dedicated by a city government -

December 6, 1995 - "Colateral Damage: A Reality of War," downtown, Santa Cruz, California (USA). Created by metal artist E.A. Chase. "Bronze humanoid figures peer & wail skyward, clutching each other as they appear to melt, perhaps the effect of napalm, an atomic burst, or some other horror." Honors civilians killed in wartime. “Designed in 1959 as a gift for the United Nations, the controversial nature of the piece led to a definitive communication from the State Department that it was ‘inappropriate.’ Finally, decades later in 1995, the statue was instead dedicated in the City of Santa Cruz, now to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki. It is inscribed: 'Collateral Damage: a reality of war by E.A. Chase. In memory of civilians who have died in all wars and in appreciation of all who actively “wage peace.” It is dedicated by Veterans of Foreign Wars, Bill Motto Post 5888; The Resource Center for Nonviolence; The City of Santa Cruz; and, finally, by the sculptor himself: longtime local E.A. Chase, who donated the statue in full knowledge that it would never be placed in New York’s U.N. Plaza.' “The historic erection of this statue in Santa Cruz Public Space was preceded by a gun turn-in & a Tibetan singing bowl ringing. Thereafter, the guns & the bowl were buried beneath. The dedication was followed by a memorable concert attended by 12,000 people. The commemorative video for the dedication of the Statue is entitled, "Collateral Damage: A time for community response.” It captures the essence of the historic moment, as well as the stars who graced the stage that day, including David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Bonny Raitt." Information courtesy of Stephen Zunes 19Oct2013. Entry #155 in the "Peace Movement Directory" by James Richard Bennett (2001).

http://peace.maripo.com/p_hiroshima.htm
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Vermonter wrote:

(Plus "Hiroshima" > " ")
The Iwo Jima Memorial in Virginia is a U.S. memorial. Any memorial in Hiroshima would be established and maintained by Japan.
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:
Vermonter wrote:

(Plus "Hiroshima" > " ")
The Iwo Jima Memorial in Virginia is a U.S. memorial. Any memorial in Hiroshima would be established and maintained by Japan.
Note that he didn't say in Hiroshima. He said named for.