Friday, May 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, May 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I forgot the Geographical Fugue re: Popocatepetl, which is not in Canada, rather in Mexico Mexico Mexico. Yes, Tibet! Tibet! Tibet!...
What the heck is this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_Fugue
Impressed that you (or most on the board, to be honest) are aware of this!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I forgot the Geographical Fugue re: Popocatepetl, which is not in Canada, rather in Mexico Mexico Mexico. Yes, Tibet! Tibet! Tibet!...
What the heck is this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_Fugue
Impressed that you (or most on the board, to be honest) are aware of this!
I was introduced to this at a chamber music gathering we've had about twice a year since 1999 (the next one is actually two weeks from now). The person who introduced it doesn't come any more; I try to get the group to do it every so often, but I'm the one who likes it best out of the remaining attendees and the others aren't always in the mood.

Whenever Popocatepetl comes up, I think of the Fugue (and I remember it's in Mexico Mexico Mexico!).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

We sang the fugue in high school choir.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

TenPoundHammer wrote:We sang the fugue in high school choir.
For some value of "sang", I suppose.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

davey wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I knew that Alcott = Little Women, but had no idea what it was about since book titles don't always follow the "exactly what it says on the tin" motif.
She also wrote Little Men and little else.
Little else that's remembered, but a glance at any biography confirms that she was a prolific writer of fiction and journalism. Her rediscovered novel "A Long Fatal Love Chase" has been in 2 clues on J!
I never considered Wilder for this FJ. Little House on the Prairie was published in 1935.
Thank you.... Publishers don't generally approach random people and ask then to attempt particular tasks. She had some skills and a reputation and they had an idea of how best to use those. Comments like this one tend to be demeaning by virtue of being dismissive.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

brick wrote:
davey wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I knew that Alcott = Little Women, but had no idea what it was about since book titles don't always follow the "exactly what it says on the tin" motif.
Little else that's remembered, but a glance at any biography confirms that she was a prolific writer of fiction and journalism. Her rediscovered novel "A Long Fatal Love Chase" has been in 2 clues on J!
I never considered Wilder for this FJ. Little House on the Prairie was published in 1935.
Thank you.... Publishers don't generally approach random people and ask then to attempt particular tasks. She had some skills and a reputation and they had an idea of how best to use those. Comments like this one tend to be demeaning by virtue of being dismissive.
(It's a joke from Whose Line is it Anyway?)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mfc248 »

For those who didn't attend the taping, semifinal matchups have just been released:

Monday: Peter / Kaberi / Nicole
Tuesday: Chris / Jill / Bill
Wednesday: Jason / Cory / Lauren

Wild cards distributed evenly (2-1-1), in contrast to the 3-1-0 in the College Championship.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
brick wrote:
davey wrote:
Volante wrote:
(It's a joke from Whose Line is it Anyway?)
That's OK, Volante, at least one other person here got it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bennettteach
Contributor

Post by bennettteach »

So as the guy who won the game but didn't play that well, I'm going to share some advice that has been given a million times to people who watch the show and then get on. It doesn't apply to everyone, but it applies to me:

Don't overthink your answers

I've been dissecting this in my head for months, and I moved on. Watching it reinforced some things.

I said, "Keplar" instead of "Galileo" because I realized it was the fourth clue down in the category and thought, "that seems to obvious," so I hesitated (and you can see this on the video) and went with Keplar because of the title of the piece he wrote while the word "Italian" slipped from my mindset.

I said, "New Year's Day" instead of Martin Luther King Day because I saw the word "Event" and thought that made more sense for New Year's than MLK.

Islands are a weak point for me--didn't get a real chance to study Indonesia--and Papua New Guinea was an awful guess that I think had more to do with me reading the Onion Atlas Entry on it the night before (This is true--I took a picture of it and posted it to my Facebook because it said "More God D*** Islands" on it, reflecting how I felt.

Even if I had gotten no more right (I didn't buzz in a couple of times because I was only 80% sure when I should have went with my gut), and just gave myself the correct response on the first two I mentioned and 0 on the next for not buzzing in, I would have been right behind Bill going into final instead of last place. So, future contestants, don't overthink (or make terrible guesses)!

The blessing and curse about the tournament is that I had another 6 weeks to prepare for it. While I needed to bone up on a lot of information, one thing I promised myself is that I wouldn't play as poorly on the second go-around. I felt good on the buzzer, but man, in round 1, I just felt ugly and validating all the stuff people say about the quality of the tournament. Onward!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Linear Gnome wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:We sang the fugue in high school choir.
For some value of "sang", I suppose.
Considering no pitch was involved, it was the best we ever sounded.