Friday, May 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Preliminarily, and acknowledging that the full field is not yet set, I have Jason as a silver for the TOC.
As someone still unfamiliar with some of the terminology on these boards, what does "a silver" mean in this context?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "interpreter" at $400?
The clue said Obst helped presidents communicate with German leaders. I figured out exactly what that meant, but negged with "translator" (which is ruled out because the clue asked for the word in the title of his book).
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Congratulations to Jason, and good wagering by everyone, especially Kaberi, who realized that she just barely had a superlock on Jill and was superlocked out by Jason.
As someone who coined the term, I have to say a superlock is a lock you can't Clavin your way out of. Kaberi had a regular lock over Jill (a bet over $200 would have jeopardized it).
IronNeck wrote:As someone still unfamiliar with some of the terminology on these boards, what does "a silver" mean in this context?
Mark Barrett has traditionally grouped players into Gold, Silver, and Bronze groups shortly before the ToC taping for which they have presumably qualified.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote: Mark Barrett has traditionally grouped players into Gold, Silver, and Bronze groups shortly before the ToC taping for which they have presumably qualified.
And what does each one signify? I'm guessing Gold is a good chance to make the final, Silver a semifinal, and Bronze likely out in the quarters?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

IronNeck wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Preliminarily, and acknowledging that the full field is not yet set, I have Jason as a silver for the TOC.
As someone still unfamiliar with some of the terminology on these boards, what does "a silver" mean in this context?
During the run-up to a TOC, boardie MarkBarrett has a tradition of dividing the TOC field into gold, silver, and bronze, based on his evaluation of their perceived strengths and weaknesses. Some other boardies will then offer their own classifications of the players, using the same three medals. It's just a fun exercise in prognostication. In this case, I don't doubt that some boardies will rate Jason as a gold, based on the way he dominated in this Teachers Tournament.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Leander wrote:McGovern's war record was something I read about in a magazine profile years ago, and it stuck in my memory because it was so contrary to his public image as an antiwar candidate.
"Any soldier worth his salt should be antiwar. And still there are things worth fighting for." -- Norman Schwarzkopf
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

IronNeck wrote:
seaborgium wrote: Mark Barrett has traditionally grouped players into Gold, Silver, and Bronze groups shortly before the ToC taping for which they have presumably qualified.
And what does each one signify? I'm guessing Gold is a good chance to make the final, Silver a semifinal, and Bronze likely out in the quarters?
It's not that granular. It's just a way to say "I'm rating this group of players as gold because they look to me like the strongest on paper," etc. Matchups (both in the QF and SF rounds) matter a great deal too, and it's unknowable in advance what those will be; and variations in FJ difficulty during the first week of the tournament can affect who snags the all-important wild-cards.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One of the writers is a fan of The X-Files? The show had an episode about el chupacabra and another episode was titled "Memento Mori."

SAME FIRST & LAST LETTER $1200: A cabbie with an empty taxi may go to the airport to make this

The correct response was pickup. I used the slang I know and said deadhead. Judges?

The stats from the QF games and semis pointed to Jason having an edge in the finals. If Kaberi could have found and converted Jill's missed DDs then perhaps it's not the runaway we saw tonight.

In last night's post I had a line about predicting something presidential for the FJ! clue and then I deleted it not wanting to jinx myself from seeing something I consider favorable.

I laughed when the category came up and used the break to refresh myself on elections 1980 to present. When I saw the clue I pegged Bush 41 for flying in WWII and wrote George H. in thinking the plane's name had some connection to Barbara. Before I could write the W. I made the Dakota connection to McGovern and locked in the correct response.

What I have not been able to solve is where I read or heard a reminder this week about bumper stickers after the 1972 election that said, "Don't Blame Me - I'm from Massachusetts" in reference to the only state McGovern won and tying into the problems with Nixon's 2nd term.

Yes, Jason is Silver group for the TOC and depending on how many more Krakens get released he could even make Gold if the TOC happens sooner than later next season.

Power Players next week. I don't mind and I'll watch. It's only five games and I've already been on the show, so I have a higher tolerance for all the shenanigans that go with those type of players and games.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: What I have not been able to solve is where I read or heard a reminder this week about bumper stickers after the 1972 election that said, "Don't Blame Me - I'm from Massachusetts" in reference to the only state McGovern won and tying into the problems with Nixon's 2nd term.
Keith said on his video that the question you're referring to came up on Millionaire this week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Congrats to Jason on his big win and also congrats to Kaberi and Jill for their strong showing in making the finals.

I started with Bush41, but realized they likely wanted someone who ran but lost. I remembered McGovern was from South Dakota so I was home free.

Looking back, it wasn't as hard as it seems. You want someone who was a major party candidate but lost and served in WWII.

1948-Dewey also ran in 1944 and was governor of New York, so it wasn't him. Even if you didn't know anything about him, it is unlikely someone would move from combat into a major political figure that quickly.

1952/1956-Again, a little soon for a combat vet to reach that level in politics, so we can eliminate Adlai Stevenson.

1960-The loser that year later was elected, so it isn't Nixon.

1964-Barry Goldwater was a pilot and served in WWII, but was famously from Arizona, so he probably didn't name his plane Dakota.

1968-We had two losers this year. Hubert Humphrey did not serve due to medical issues, but like Goldwater, he is pretty well known for being from his home state of Minnesota, where they named a bad baseball stadium for him. George Wallace was in the Air Corps, but is also known for not being from the Dakotas.

1972 was McGovern

In 1976 and 1980, a sitting president was unseated, so it can't be anyone from those years.

1984-He we have Walter Mondale. He was born in 1928, so he was too young for WWII. But even if you think he was older, him being from Minnesota is also well known as his home state was all he carried that year.

1988-Dukakis was governor of Massachusetts and also too young.

1992 was an incumbent losing. I guess you could consider Ross Perot as a possibility.

1996 was the end of the road for WWII vets on the national political scene and two of the players went with him. I guess he isn't as tied to Kansas as the others were to their home states. Also, his injured arm is something he is known for, so that isn't a bad guess.

So if you eliminate people who sought but did not get the nomination and throw out those you are certain of where they are from, you don't have much to choose from. I get this is a lot to run through in 30 seconds if you don't know where George McGovern is from, but it is doable.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,800
39 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Great Bear Lake (DD), Toni Morrison (DD)

Congrats to all three finalists on an extremely well-played tournament. Sorry it didn't end better for you, Jill, but you played your heart out. JMBUD Strong! Now ditch the choir and get your tuchus to Vegas!

Knowing that George McGovern hailed from South Dakota made FJ! an instaget for me, but Toni Morrison was a mega-WAG.
hbomb1947 wrote:
JyV92 wrote:I thought block printing was when the whole page was cut out of wood or a plate and then printed. The photo showed an individual character for typesetting- movable font. Thoughts?
I had "movable type" myself, but I'm negging myself for the time being.
I said "movable type" as well, and my research indicates that it should be accepted. Those were definitely movable, single-character blocks, and movable type was invented in China during the 11th Century.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: What I have not been able to solve is where I read or heard a reminder this week about bumper stickers after the 1972 election that said, "Don't Blame Me - I'm from Massachusetts" in reference to the only state McGovern won and tying into the problems with Nixon's 2nd term.
Keith said on his video that the question you're referring to came up on Millionaire this week.
Ah, thanks. I had looked at my Millionaire notes quickly skimming for Massachusetts, South Dakota and McGovern, but failed to look for Nixon in nor fduhe answer and missed it.

$5K: One popular bumper sticker in 1974 read “Don’t Blame Me, I’m From Massachusetts,”, the only state that DIDN’T vote for what President in ’72?
A: Nixon
B: Ford
C: LBJ
D: Carter
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

When is the last time we had a tournament double lock?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AntmanB wrote:When is the last time we had a tournament double lock?
Just this season, in the ToC. Similarly to this tournament, Alex Jacob had a superlock, and Matt Jackson had a threadbare regular lock.

The last time it happened in the Teachers Tournament is also the last time it happened before this season's ToC; John Pearson and Mary Beth Hammerstrom had regular locks in 2013. (Mary Beth jeopardized hers by betting everything, but she got FJ right.)

Incidentally, there have been only two double superlock tournament finals (i.e., finals whose standings were set in stone before the final wagers were made): the 1998 and 2011 ToCs.

(To make it explicit here: "superlock" is a term I coined for when a player can finish with $0 and still win, even if the other two double up their scores on FJ. It can only be achieved in multi-day, cumulative score events.)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

JillyJill wrote:Regrets, I’ve had a few…

I did not sleep for two days after the D.C. taping. I could not stop thinking about the obvious DDs that I knew but blanked on in the final – Elements of Style and Toni Morrison. I regret that I forgot the category and lost $2K with my “Mercator projection” response and that I didn’t get in fast enough on China Girl at the end to have a shot at 2nd place, but I lost 2nd place due to my own errors and Kaberi’s fine play.

...The wheels were off the cart at that point and I was careening into the ditch.

I am really lucky that my crashing and burning did not happen in the quarterfinal round or it all would have been over for me then. I got to play four games of real Jeopardy! How incredible is that? Playing Jeopardy! for real is amazing and so fun! I hope I conveyed how much fun it is while I was playing.

... Then, after Jason and Kaberi used the time to thank their people, I felt like a weirdo for expressing my sentiments about speech & debate instead of thanking my people.

My favorite poem is “After Apple Picking” by Robert Frost. ... “One can see what will trouble/This sleep of mine, whatever sleep it is.” ... I really hate it that I appear to be an incompetent English teacher on national television by not being able to recall such basic information pertinent to my subject matter.

My favorite line from the poem is “For I have had too much/ Of apple-picking: I am overtired /Of the great harvest I myself desired.” ... I have said it before, but I do not consider myself to be an exceptional trivia competitor in any respect. Once I was selected as a contestant, I tried my best to prepare in terms of knowledge, strategy, and buzzer skills. I am a fan of the show, and think it’s really fun to buzz in and answer questions. But it is a relief to have the show finally air and put my disappointing performance behind me.
O gosh, JillyJill! Look at you, "not an exceptional competitor"?! You came in 3rd place in a field of 15 really smart, exceptional teachers hand-picked to compete in a national TV game show!!!
Do NOT try to tell us that is not an exceptional accomplishment!! You did DARNED GOOD GIRL!!! We knew you were tired from jet lag and game stress and hyperexcitement and all that goes with taping these crazy shows!! You're a fine player, a great teacher and a super human being!! We all Love You JillyJill!! Go not gentle into that good night, but rage, rage against the dying of the light, woman! Now, go get some well deserved rest, that blessed sleep that knits up the raveled sleeve of care! And never say, "I coulda been somebody, I coulda been a contender!" YOU are a superb contender! <HUGS!!!> BTW We loved your plug for speech & debate!! We need to encourage young people to think critically, you did exactly that! You're a heroine to our kids!!! Don't forget it! :!: :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Bamaman wrote:1992 was an incumbent losing. I guess you could consider Ross Perot as a possibility.
Perot was born in 1930, so he was another one too young for WWII.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Ah, thanks. I had looked at my Millionaire notes quickly skimming for Massachusetts, South Dakota and McGovern, but failed to look for Nixon in nor fduhe answer and missed it.

$5K: One popular bumper sticker in 1974 read “Don’t Blame Me, I’m From Massachusetts,”, the only state that DIDN’T vote for what President in ’72?
A: Nixon
B: Ford
C: LBJ
D: Carter
O come now, EZ PZ!
Biggest landslide election in history since Washington, not surpassed until Reagan; carried 49 states. Who knew that only 2 years after garnering (a word that is also John Nance Garner, FDR 1st VP!) the biggest popular vote margin ever, he would be 'most reviled American'?!
Spoiler
Even my double- (D) parents voted for Tricky Dick Nixon in '72!
Super game for Goats with 52R including FJ, admittedly a toughie, first thought about all the failed candidates from the 40's, 50's 60's like Adlai Stevenson (not a war hero), RFK (never saw action during his enlistment); Dewey beats Truman but he never served except as NY Gov; Eisenhower was CIC, pretty sure the staff wouldn't let him go into battle and I don't think he was a bomber pilot; Ford was a football player, Carter was a Naval engineer, no action; Tricky Dick was... well, tricky. LBJ was a pro politician spent his whole life in Congress, etc. Hubert Humphrey was attacked for being a draft dodger in '68, probly not good for this clue... Truman was from MO anyway, didn't fit, there was Wallace (George spent a lifetime governing Alabama in four consecutive & nonconsecutive terms) and McGovern in '72 and Mondale in '84. Thought about HGW Bush, but he served in the Pacific theater, naval aviator... Dubya was Reservist... must be McGovern, although never heard the story, turns out he did not allow his campaign staff to use his mil service history since he was an anti-Vietnam, anti-war platform candidate. But he flew 35 combat missions in WWII! The DFC was for making a forced landing with engine out and saving his crew after taking flak. In the retrospectometer, which is always 20/20, he was clearly the better candidate back in 1972!

LT: Conic projection (O! Poor Jill! I also first thought Mercator but then; DOH! This is the other kind of map--!); ":If he hollers, let him go!" No get on White House 'Interpreter', was thinking "Press Secretary"? Gets on MDDs: Bear Lake (largest lake entirely within Canada!); Toni "Anthony" Morrison: "God Help the Child." 15th novel; 2015. Prolific writer. Where does she find time for it?!? :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

goatman wrote:
JillyJill wrote:Regrets, I’ve had a few…

I did not sleep for two days after the D.C. taping. I could not stop thinking about the obvious DDs that I knew but blanked on in the final – Elements of Style and Toni Morrison. I regret that I forgot the category and lost $2K with my “Mercator projection” response and that I didn’t get in fast enough on China Girl at the end to have a shot at 2nd place, but I lost 2nd place due to my own errors and Kaberi’s fine play.

...The wheels were off the cart at that point and I was careening into the ditch.

I am really lucky that my crashing and burning did not happen in the quarterfinal round or it all would have been over for me then. I got to play four games of real Jeopardy! How incredible is that? Playing Jeopardy! for real is amazing and so fun! I hope I conveyed how much fun it is while I was playing.

... Then, after Jason and Kaberi used the time to thank their people, I felt like a weirdo for expressing my sentiments about speech & debate instead of thanking my people.

My favorite poem is “After Apple Picking” by Robert Frost. ... “One can see what will trouble/This sleep of mine, whatever sleep it is.” ... I really hate it that I appear to be an incompetent English teacher on national television by not being able to recall such basic information pertinent to my subject matter.

My favorite line from the poem is “For I have had too much/ Of apple-picking: I am overtired /Of the great harvest I myself desired.” ... I have said it before, but I do not consider myself to be an exceptional trivia competitor in any respect. Once I was selected as a contestant, I tried my best to prepare in terms of knowledge, strategy, and buzzer skills. I am a fan of the show, and think it’s really fun to buzz in and answer questions. But it is a relief to have the show finally air and put my disappointing performance behind me.
O gosh, JillyJill! Look at you, "not an exceptional competitor"?! You came in 3rd place in a field of 15 really smart, exceptional teachers hand-picked to compete in a national TV game show!!!
Do NOT try to tell us that is not an exceptional accomplishment!! You did DARNED GOOD GIRL!!! We knew you were tired from jet lag and game stress and hyperexcitement and all that goes with taping these crazy shows!! You're a fine player, a great teacher and a super human being!! We all Love You JillyJill!! Go not gentle into that good night, but rage, rage against the dying of the light, woman! Now, go get some well deserved rest, that blessed sleep that knits up the raveled sleeve of care! And never say, "I coulda been somebody, I coulda been a contender!" YOU are a superb contender! <HUGS!!!> BTW We loved your plug for speech & debate!! We need to encourage young people to think critically, you did exactly that! You're a heroine to our kids!!! Don't forget it! :!: :D
Goatman! Your sweet words made me cry. You have a love of poetry as well. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to encourage me. Yesterday was a day I had dreaded, and a low day for me, but I am an upbeat person generally and am feeling better today. I'm glad you're also a speech & debate supporter. I am spending ten days of my summer NSDA Nationals in Salt Lake City judging debate and cheering on our team. Thanks for the love, Goatman. Between you and my TCONA buddies, I feel very supported.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

LOL Jill, I thought your talk was the best. Impressive. It wasn't a great game and I'm a bit under the weather but I had a tough time with some of the questions. Congrats on a great finale!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also enjoyed your interview. The whole tournament is about teachers and what better way to promote them than talking about learning?

Yes, you came in third, but you got to play four more games of Jeopardy than most people do, plus you got a trip to DC and a special tour of the White House. Thanks for sharing your story here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JillyJill wrote:Something else that threw me off in the final round was that I felt like an oddball for giving my rah rah Speech & Debate spiel during the interview portion. Alex had told us that we could use the time to talk about whatever was important to us, so I debated between talking about gifted education or speech & debate. I ended up going with speech & debate because it’s such a positive activity that is open for all students’ participation. I am immensely proud of my students’ accomplishments in the activity and the way it helped them grow in confidence and critical thinking skills. My own son is a nationally-ranked Lincoln-Douglas debater who travels and competes all around the country because our public school funds the activity. In these budget-cutting, STEM-focused times, I felt like it would be great to give this activity a national acknowledgement. Then, after Jason and Kaberi used the time to thank their people, I felt like a weirdo for expressing my sentiments about speech & debate instead of thanking my people.
Carol Anne and I both commented on how nice that was that you did that, Jill. Heck, you can thank people anytime without it being on the air. It was well done and hopefully inspired someone somewhere.

Kaberi, Jason, and Jill -- great job by all three of you, and special congratulations to Jason for an awesome win against some pretty tough competition. And also a big thank you to all three of you for showing up on here! We always appreciate first-hand knowledge of the matches.