Signaling Devices

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Signaling Devices

Post by Clue Jungry »

Are there any commercial available signaling devices/buzzer systems similar to the ones used on the show?
grindcore
Some Guy

Re: Signaling Devices

Post by grindcore »

no, you have to use your toilet paper holder
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Fritz Holznagel was just touting this on Facebook: http://getthebuzzer.com/products/quiz-buzzer-1 (the price should amuse anyone familiar with his Jeopardy appearances)
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

There's also Anderson Buzzer Systems, which many quizbowl teams purchase for both practice and bringing to tournaments. You should be able to order a "hand-held button with cable" for $12, which should be good enough.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

What exactly are your needs? Are you just looking to hold something in your hand at home while watching jeopardy? Toilet paper holder does it.

Looking for simple and works? Eggspert is cheap.

For wireless, a cost effective one is MeFirst.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jsterlacci
Contributor

Post by jsterlacci »

I used a toilet paper holder for timing practice; Fritz's device is apparently very good.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

seaborgium wrote:Fritz Holznagel was just touting this on Facebook: http://getthebuzzer.com/products/quiz-buzzer-1 (the price should amuse anyone familiar with his Jeopardy appearances)
Is this a lockout buzzer? In other words, does it lock you out for a 1/4 second if you buzz before the lights like on the regular show?

Also, a miscellaneous question for those who have been on Jeopardy!: what roughly is amount of time between when Alex stops talking and the lights go on? I've heard it's a human operating it, not electronic, so is there a lot of variation? In other words, is it better to wait for the lights due to inconsistencies, or is the activation guy consistent enough for you to generally just buzz immediately after Alex stops talking?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BRD-98 wrote:In other words, is it better to wait for the lights due to inconsistencies, or is the activation guy consistent enough for you to generally just buzz immediately after Alex stops talking?
My experience was that if you wait until you see the lights, you've waited too long. Yes, I believe a human is operating the system, but that human seems quite consistent. You really have to anticipate the lights slightly to win the buzzer contest. At least with my reaction time, which isn't great.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

This Is Kirk! wrote: My experience was that if you wait until you see the lights, you've waited too long. Yes, I believe a human is operating the system, but that human seems quite consistent. You really have to anticipate the lights slightly to win the buzzer contest. At least with my reaction time, which isn't great.
That's how I beat Brad Rutter.

It wasn't a real game. It was "Host Your Own Jeopardy Game/Classroom Jeopardy". I figured out exactly the word the host was reading to buzz in.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
alexkav
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by alexkav »

A quick Google search led me to quizgamebuzzers dot com but I don't know if those are good or not.
jsterlacci
Contributor

Post by jsterlacci »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
BRD-98 wrote:In other words, is it better to wait for the lights due to inconsistencies, or is the activation guy consistent enough for you to generally just buzz immediately after Alex stops talking?
My experience was that if you wait until you see the lights, you've waited too long. Yes, I believe a human is operating the system, but that human seems quite consistent. You really have to anticipate the lights slightly to win the buzzer contest. At least with my reaction time, which isn't great.
100% correct; it took me halfway through my first game to figure it out, but once I got comfortable with the timing and *anticipating* the lights, my buzzer reaction time got markedly better.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

BRD-98 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Fritz Holznagel was just touting this on Facebook: http://getthebuzzer.com/products/quiz-buzzer-1 (the price should amuse anyone familiar with his Jeopardy appearances)
Is this a lockout buzzer? In other words, does it lock you out for a 1/4 second if you buzz before the lights like on the regular show?
Yes, sort of. It is set up to work with http://thebuzzerapp.com/, where you can practice your timing on clues that Fritz has recorded. I bought mine a few weeks ago at TCONA and have been very happy with it. It's well-constructed and fun to use instead of a clicky pen while watching J!
Sprinkles are for winners.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

I used both a pen and toilet paper holder. I don't think it matters much.

Not to be contrarian, but I went by the lights on the board. I feel like I got locked out when I tried to anticipate it. I would strongly suggest being flexible in your approach...you may even need to tailor it to your opponents - they will have different reaction times too. If you make the show you'll have plenty of time in rehearsal to find what works for you.

But since some of us are giving different advice, YMMV.