Tuesday, May 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7302, 2016-05-17

CONTESTANTS
Michael Steele, a political analyst and host from MSNBC and SiriusXM
Lara Logan, a correspondent from 60 Minutes
Anderson Cooper, a host from AC 360

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome again to Power Players! Which of these three will wind up winning $50,000 for their charity today? Will it be Michael, Lara, or Anderson? Good luck to all three of you. Let's put you to work right now in the Jeopardy! round. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEN OF STEEL (3/4)
THE CDC SAYS (3/4)
JUST THE FACTS (4/5)
PRESIDENTIAL MUSIC? (0/0)
AROUND THE WORLD (3/4)
WORLDS FROM THE PORTUGUESE (0/2, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anderson: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Lara: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Michael: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 19
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Anderson: $2,400
Lara: $1,200
Michael: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Michael Steele, I have the feeling that before you go to bed every night, you get down on your knees and you say a prayer and you thank the Lord that you are no longer chairman of the Republican National Committee.

[Laughter]

Alex: Is that a fair statement?

Michael: It's a fair statement. I have to admit, the best title I could have today is "former." So that--that works very nicely.

Alex: Are you a little disappointed with the way things have been going in the Republican party?

Michael: I am. I think we have done better and can do better. And so we hope that as this thing kinda gets into the convention phase that folks get their act together.

Alex: Okay. A good, positive outlook. Now, tell me about your charity.

Michael: My charity is a very special charity. It's Catholic Charities' Susan D. Mona Center, and it's a very important center that provides services for poor families in Prince George's County. They provide healthcare, legal as well as educational and food services for them. So it's a real, real nice way to connect with the community and help the least among us.

Alex: And it's keeping it in this area.

Michael: It's in this area. That's right.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Lara Logan, a few years ago in Egypt, in what was supposed to be a happy occasion, you were violently sexually assaulted. A few months ago, there were a number of women who experienced the same thing at a festive occasion in Europe. What is going on? I thought we were making progress in our treatment of women.

Lara: Well, it's a very good question. What is going on? Because there were attacks not just in Cologne that night, but in other German cities and also in Finland and in Sweden. And the way these men behave, they surround someone--it could be a man, as well. I don't think it's a mistake that it's women; they're sending a message by going after the women. They're telling the men in Europe, "You can't protect your women."

Alex: Aha. So we'll have to do something about that. Tell me about your charity.

Lara: So my charity is the Committee to Protect Journalists. I'm on the board of this charity, and a few years ago, when I was living in Baghdad, there was an Iraqi journalist who had survived an assassination attempt. He had 17 bullets in him. And they helped me bring him to the United States for treatment and get the surgery to get his legs level again so he could walk. And at this time, you know, the Committee to Protect Journalists is there for journalists from Syria to South Sudan. And there's never been a more dangerous time for journalists. So I really believe in them.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Anderson, everyone here and all of our viewers know you from your AC 360
show, but what all of these people do not know is that you began your show business career as a child model.

Anderson: I did.

Alex: I want to hear about that.

Anderson: When I was 11, I wanted to earn my own money, and make my own way. And when you're 11, because of child labor laws, there's not a lot of jobs you can do, and one of them is being a child model.

Alex: "Hi, I'm Anderson, and I'm cute."

[Laughter]

Anderson: Uh, yes.

Alex: Why didn't you stick with it?

Anderson: Uh, well, because, you know, no one really wants a kid with gray hair. No, I don't know.

Lara: He grew up.

Anderson: Started going to school and working hard.

Alex: Okay. Your charity.

Anderson: My charity is an organization called Spike's K9 Fund. It was started by a guy who's a hero of mine and a friend of mine, Jimmy Hatch, a retired Navy SEAL. And there's a lot of police dogs in America who get wounded in the line of duty or even killed. And Spike's K9 Fund is raising money for ballistic vests for K9s, for dogs and also medical treatment for police dogs and also military dogs in retirement.

Alex: All right. That's good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anderson found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Anderson had $3,400, Lara had $1,200, and Michael had nothing in the bank. Anderson wagered $1,000.

WORLDS FROM THE PORTUGUESE $600: Its original Portuguese name literally means "snake with a hood"
(Alex: Take a guess.)
(Anderson: Uh, I don't know. I don't even get the category.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AROUND THE WORLD $1000: Just west of Afghanistan's Kandahar province is this one, also the name of the country's longest river

WORLDS FROM THE PORTUGUESE $400: This word from the Portuguese for "pond" can mean a battlefield vehicle or a home for your pet fish

JUST THE FACTS $600: The Carolina Panther who was the first NFL rookie to pass for over 4,000 yards
(Lara: That's sports. We don't do sports.)
(Anderson: We don't do sports.)
(Lara: Yeah, can we have--)
(Anderson: No sports.)
(Alex: Then I will help you. It's [*].)
(Michael: There you go.)
(Anderson: Of course!)
(Michael: Yeah, we knew that.)
(Anderson: Cam!)
(Lara: But we knew that. No.)

THE CDC SAYS $800: This type of cancer "is highly preventable" with screening tests & a vaccine to prevent HPV infections
(Lara: What is prostate cancer?)

MEN OF STEEL $400: A 20th century Soviet leader adopted this name that means "man of steel"
(Alex: We have less than a minute to go now, Anderson.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Anderson: $2,600
Michael: $1,600
Lara: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE REAGAN WHITE HOUSE (2/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PEOPLE IN HISTORY (3/4)
MOVIE QUOTES (1/4) (Alex: We'll give you the quote. You ID the film for us.)
NONFICTION (1/3)
I NEED (4/5)
YOUR VOTE (0/1, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anderson: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Lara: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Michael: 0 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 21
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lara snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Anderson had $3,400, Lara had $6,800, and Michael was at $1,600. Lara wagered $1,000.

YOUR VOTE $800: The scarecrow knows about this kind of unofficial vote held as a gauge of opinion
(Lara: What is...)
(Alex: You're doing well so far.)
(Lara: I know it's not a ballot. What is...)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Anderson who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Anderson had $3,000, Lara had $5,800, and Michael was at $1,600. Anderson wagered $1,000.

THE REAGAN WHITE HOUSE $2000: In 1983 this wife of a U.S. senator became the first female head of the Department of Transportation

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE QUOTES $1600: 2000:
"Wilson!"

MOVIE QUOTES $800: 1996:
"Shut up-- just shut up. You had me at hello"
(Lara: What is--it's Tom Cruise.)
(Alex: Yeah, but we need the title.)

MOVIE QUOTES $2000: 2012:
"I'm going to smoke everybody involved in this op, and then I'm going to kill bin Laden"

NONFICTION $1200: A recent bestseller tells of "The Immortal Life of" this woman & how her HeLa cells became invaluable to medicine

PEOPLE IN HISTORY $2000: A golden age of culture, the Age of him in Greece lasted from about 460 B.C. to 430 B.C.
(Anderson: Who is Alexander?)
(Alex: No.)
(Anderson: Ooh!)

I NEED $2000: I need a Cayman GTS sports car from this legendary German brand

THE REAGAN WHITE HOUSE $1200: (George Stephanopoulos gives the clue.) My mother-in-law, Mabel Brandon Cabot, held this alliterative job in the Reagan White House, working with the First Lady in planning events like state dinners

THE REAGAN WHITE HOUSE $1600: An aide to Caspar Weinberger, this future Secretary of State & 4-star general helped carry out the Grenada invasion
(Anderson: Who is Alexander Haig?)

NONFICTION $2000: His "A Brief History of Time" was subtitled "From the Big Bang to Black Holes"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lara: $5,800
Anderson: $4,000
Michael: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Lara: Wager $2,201 to cover Anderson, but no more than $2,599 so as not to fall behind Michael's doubled score.
Anderson: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $400 (martian), and you'll win the game if Lara wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Michael: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This country's 2 main ethnic groups are Punjabi (who are also found in India) & Pashtun (also living in Afghanistan)

FINAL SCORES
Michael: $1,600 - $600 = $1,000 (What is A Place Far Far away) (3rd place)
Anderson: $4,000 + $3,998 = $7,998 (What is Pakistan) (2nd place)
Lara: $5,800 + $4,000 = $9,800 (What: Pakistan) (Winner)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lara: $6,800, 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Anderson: $6,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Michael: $1,600, 3 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $14,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Anderson: 13/60 = .217
Lara: 10/59 = .169
Michael: 3/58 = .052
Team: 26/63 = .413

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AROUND THE WORLD $400: We have no beef with this capital of Hyogo Prefecture being called one of Japan's most attractive cities
(Anderson: ...What is Kyoto?)
(Alex: And Lara, you don't have to raise your hand like you're in class every time you give a response.)
[Laughter]

MEN OF STEEL $800: Sir Henry Bessemer improved steel making by pumping air into this metal to remove impurities
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE REAGAN WHITE HOUSE $800: This White House briefing room is named for this press secretary who was injured by a gunman's bullet in 1981
(Alex: You got him, with less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
cobra
Helmand
a tank
Cam Newton
cervical cancer
Stalin
straw vote (or straw poll)
Elizabeth Dole
Cast Away
Jerry Maguire
Zero Dark Thirty
Henrietta Lacks
Pericles
Porsche
Social Secretary
Colin Powell
Stephen Hawking
Pakistan
Kobe
iron
James Brady
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This country's 2 main ethnic groups are Punjabi (who are also found in India) & Pashtun (also living in Afghanistan)

Anderson Cooper: 4000+3998=7998 ($10,000)
Lara Logan: 5800+4000=9800 ($50,000)
Michael Steele: 1600-600=1000 ($10,000)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pakistan (Michael - A place far far away)
Daily Doubles
Anderson: 3400-1000
Lara: 6800-1000
Anderson: 3000+1000

Coryats
Anderson: 6000
Lara: 6800
Michael: 1600

Combined: 14,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue May 17, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

I was hoping the Michael Steele would be the former bass player for The Bangles. Too bad it wasn't her.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:I was hoping the Michael Steele would be the former bass player for The Bangles. Too bad it wasn't her.
She's still alive?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Every source I've looked at says that Steele (the former Bangles bass player) is indeed still alive (she'll be turning 61 this summer).
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Am I the only one finding Alex's questions this week a tad awkward and annoying?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

How the hell do you get the LTAM signal two clues after the interviews?
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Yikes. That was painful.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

It is shameful that a prominent politician doesn't know where Pakistan is.

So many questions left on the board...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Holy something or other. That must have been the worst game ever. That looked worse than a Jeopardy! audition. Had none of them ever seen Jeopardy! before?

Why did they avoid the Presidential Music category? Shouldn't that have been a natural for them? Why did Cooper go back to Portuguese instead of opening Pres Music? They got to the Reagan White House eventually in DJ, but it was not the first pick.

Has there ever been a FJ with so many negbaits eliminated in the wording?

As Jeff Albertson would say, "Worst. Episode. Ever."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Lara on the win. I had 35 correct responses including a dozen triple stumpers and two missed Daily Doubles.
brick

Post by brick »

That was unfortunate. I did rather well, but I don't take a ton of pride in it. Oy.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Gross.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

What did I just watch?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

And these are the shows that soundly beat regular games in the ratings?

Ugh!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Now THAT'S what I expect out of a Power Players Week match! :lol:
Skeeter5
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Skeeter5 »

This was possibly the worst J I've ever seen. It's shameful that three highly regarded media people didn't know the answers to many, many questions relating to their field. The only thing worse than the blatant lack of knowledge was Lara's incessant blathering. Disgusting display all the way round. I'll view all of them differently from now on.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

bpmod wrote:And these are the shows that soundly beat regular games in the ratings?

Ugh!

Brian
The masses like watching idiots on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Now that's the celeb week game we all know and love.

Anderson Cooper had been on before and done well, but he seemed bored to be there.

I wondered if Lara Logan has ever seen the show before.

Other than his brief flurry at the end of the first round, I don't think Michael Steele rang in the entire game. Did we even hear from him in DJ?

They left what, about 1/3 of the first round uncovered?

I might have advised Anderson to bet nothing in FJ since he could win if Lara missed it and he could not be caught by Michael. But I felt Lara would have no clue how to bet and might just write down some random small number. So he did the right thing by going almost all in.

I made an educated guess and got FJ right. I felt Lara would get it as she has worked in that part of the world a lot. I'm not calling someone stupid for missing it (I didn't know it but guessed right), but at least guess some country in that part of the world instead of just making some joke.

Must be tough breaking into the modeling business when your mom is Gloria Vanderbilt.

I thought Alex put Michael on the spot getting his opinion of Donald Trump's impending nomination.

At least I had heard of all these people.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed May 18, 2016 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.