Tuesday, May 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Magna wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:All you curmudgeons, there's a party on my lawn. Get over here.
Will there be herring? Please say yes.
Well, there WAS herring. Can you stop by the docks on your way over? <burp>
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

brick wrote:It really didn't feel to me like they were having any fun at all by about halfway through double J.
To be fair, the "time's up" buzzer sounded halfway through double J.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

seaborgium wrote:
brick wrote:It really didn't feel to me like they were having any fun at all by about halfway through double J.
To be fair, the "time's up" buzzer sounded halfway through double J.
I meant halfway through the portion of double J that was played, and you know it, sassypants!
Harley R
Contributor

Post by Harley R »

I mentioned in a post last week that there seems to be new management at Jeopardy or that the old one has lost its way.
I think that the apparent lack of vetting of the three legend-in-their-own-mind egos that shamed the show last night showed a lack of respect of the real constestants and constant fans of the past.
The next three nights will prove the mettle of whoever is in charge.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'll admit to slight glee that none of them could identify Cam Newton. :D
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Harley R wrote:I mentioned in a post last week that there seems to be new management at Jeopardy or that the old one has lost its way.
I think that the apparent lack of vetting of the three legend-in-their-own-mind egos that shamed the show last night showed a lack of respect of the real constestants and constant fans of the past.
Uh.. have you seen previous years' versions of Celebrity J!? Frankly, this year's version still has a ways to go if it will eclipse the awfulness that has been foisted on the viewing public in the name of "ratings." Take that, alietr and Opus!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote:
Harley R wrote:I mentioned in a post last week that there seems to be new management at Jeopardy or that the old one has lost its way.
Uh.. have you seen previous years' versions of Celebrity J!? Frankly, this year's version still has a ways to go if it will eclipse the awfulness that has been foisted on the viewing public in the name of "ratings." Take that, alietr and Opus!
Woof goes to use his computer. Finds it covered in half-eaten herring bones. Clears them off. Logs on to JBoard. "Hmm ... my login doesn't seem to be working ... "

Take THAT, Woof!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I'll admit to slight glee that none of them could identify Cam Newton. :D
ESPN's HQ had Pat Sajak as a guest joining Dan, "Papi" and Bomani for the "Si or No" segment. They showed the Cam Newton clue. After three "No" votes for being intrigued by the clip and Papi's inevitable "Si" , Papi concluded with a bunch of compliments about Alex Trebek. Sajak then jumped up and choked Papi while adding some fake punches to the amusement of Dan and Bomani.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't get to watch last night because I had to take dad out of the hospital again. It's only getting worse, as he's about to have a foot amputated due to diabetes.

This episode was a joke. LTAM only one clue after the interviews? STILL better than the Radio City Music Hall farces in 2006!

So "Damn it" is TV-G now, huh? Not as surprising as "bitchy" not getting beeped on one of the aforementioned 2006 episodes...

WLT measles at $200?

NHO "Gulf Stream" in either context.

I admit, I lol'd at "I Need More Money for $1,600."

No guess on FJ! None of those words meant anything to me.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Didn't get to watch last night because I had to take dad out of the hospital again. It's only getting worse, as he's about to have a foot amputated due to diabetes.

This episode was a joke. LTAM only one clue after the interviews? STILL better than the Radio City Music Hall farces in 2006!

So "Damn it" is TV-G now, huh? Not as surprising as "bitchy" not getting beeped on one of the aforementioned 2006 episodes...

WLT measles at $200?

On FJ!, they gave you the countries India and Afghanistan in the clue. No matter how unfamiliar the foreign words also in the clue, it would make sense to guess a country that is close to both India and Afghanistan. That narrows it down, and any guess of any country near those two is better than "no guess" in a situation where you lose your bet by NOT guessing. Heck, even guessing "Who is Toby Keith?" is better than no guess.

A little bonus help on the Gulf Stream question... Gulfstream is a famous horse-racing track in Florida... That is near the Gulf Of Mexico, where the "Gulf Stream" originates. Gulfstream is one of the most well-known builders of hoity-toity private jets.

Didn't notice the "damn it" edit... Probably because I was too disgusted by the horrrrrrrrrible gameplay.

p.s. Sorry about your dad. Diabetes really sucks.

p.p.s What is "WLT"? I see that often, but its meaning has never stuck in my head.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Rackme32 wrote:On FJ!, they gave you the countries India and Afghanistan in the clue. No matter how unfamiliar the foreign words also in the clue, it would make sense to guess a country that is close to both India and Afghanistan.
That part of the country always blurs together for me. I could point out India, but can never remember what all is around it. It's just like naming any of the 49 trillion countries in Africa.
Rackme32 wrote:Didn't notice the "damn it" edit... Probably because I was too disgusted by the horrrrrrrrrible gameplay.
My point is that they did not edit it. Wheel has cut out "crap" and "damn" before to maintain their TV-G rating, so I'm surprised that J! is often looser with this.
Rackme32 wrote:p.p.s What is "WLT"? I see that often, but its meaning has never stuck in my head.
It's my shorthand for "what led to" on clues that seem opaque and TOM-less to me.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Rackme32 wrote:On FJ!, they gave you the countries India and Afghanistan in the clue. No matter how unfamiliar the foreign words also in the clue, it would make sense to guess a country that is close to both India and Afghanistan.
That part of the country always blurs together for me. I could point out India, but can never remember what all is around it. It's just like naming any of the 49 trillion countries in Africa.
Rackme32 wrote:Didn't notice the "damn it" edit... Probably because I was too disgusted by the horrrrrrrrrible gameplay.
My point is that they did not edit it. Wheel has cut out "crap" and "damn" before to maintain their TV-G rating, so I'm surprised that J! is often looser with this.
Rackme32 wrote:p.p.s What is "WLT"? I see that often, but its meaning has never stuck in my head.
It's my shorthand for "what led to" on clues that seem opaque and TOM-less to me.
Gotcha on the countries, geo ain't for everybody... But a big part of my point was *never* fail to make a guess on FJ!, because in FJ! you lose your bet if you clam.

There *was* a TOM on the measles clue... Rubella = measles.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Didn't get to watch last night because I had to take dad out of the hospital again. It's only getting worse, as he's about to have a foot amputated due to diabetes.

WLT measles at $200?

Recently Daytime J! replayed Penn Jillette's celebrity game and I was curious as to its rating, as I knew he said "I'll take BULL **** for $200" and wondered if it was PG (I distinctly remember seeing PG on at least one ep), but nope, "bull ****" is also a G.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Rackme32 wrote: There *was* a TOM on the measles clue... Rubella = measles.
Rubella is German measles. The clue said rubeola. Also, it quoted the CDC as saying something like "it's more than just a rash."

I thought Lara's swear might have had a "god" edited out of it.
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:

WLT measles at $200?

Recently Daytime J! replayed Penn Jillette's celebrity game and I was curious as to its rating, as I knew he said "I'll take BULL **** for $200" and wondered if it was PG (I distinctly remember seeing PG on at least one ep), but nope, "bull ****" is also a G.
I've never understood why bullbeep is supposed to be better than bullshit. Over the last decade or so on television it's become gradually common to use any once unacceptable word at all, as long as it's beeped or dropped out, no matter how obvious it is in context. Is there anything more childish than pretending certain words are not being used?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:I've never understood why bullbeep is supposed to be better than bullshit. Over the last decade or so on television it's become gradually common to use any once unacceptable word at all, as long as it's beeped or dropped out, no matter how obvious it is in context. Is there anything more childish than pretending certain words are not being used?
I'll be happy to explain it to you. But first I need you to explain to me why the sound of a burp is unpleasant and why I should refrain from burping in polite society.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote:
davey wrote:I've never understood why bullbeep is supposed to be better than bullshit. Over the last decade or so on television it's become gradually common to use any once unacceptable word at all, as long as it's beeped or dropped out, no matter how obvious it is in context. Is there anything more childish than pretending certain words are not being used?
I'll be happy to explain it to you. But first I need you to explain to me why the sound of a burp is unpleasant and why I should refrain from burping in polite society.
Well, it's not just the sound, herringbreath.
OCSam
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Amusingly enough, they just played off this on the trailer for the new Kristen Bell TV show. She also thinks it's total bullshirt :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf24rEsMOs
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:So am I the only one who actually enjoyed this game? I thought Lara was a hoot--even more fun than the equally reviled Bellamy Young. I enjoyed the banter and the casual approach. This wasn't a serious "real" Jeopardy! game and it wasn't meant to be. Lighten up, all you Francises. Unstuff your shirts and let your hair down for a week. All you curmudgeons, there's a party on my lawn. Get over here.

As to those complaining that somehow these games eat up mythical slots that would otherwise go to regular game players, stop. Just stop. Think about how ridiculous that claim is. You're saying that this week, which is obviously a moneymaker, is somehow keeping another week of regular play from happening. For Jeopardy!, a show with an extremely long season and very little down time. That's like complaining that the Doctor Who Christmas specials keep them from filming an extra regular episode. Stop sniffing whatever you're sniffing and come back when an independent third party confirms that you aren't sounding goofy anymore.
Sorry, I'm not a fan of this crap. When alietr said a few weeks ago that she was "a goof" in the practice game, I knew she would not do well in the real thing. Lucky for her, she was playing a guy who acted like he didn't want to be there and a guy who might as well not have been there. Swap her and S.E. from Monday and she is lucky if she is playing FJ out of merit and not because they gave her the $1,000 in idiot celebrity bucks.

Yes, they are trying to have fun, but they are supposed to be winning money for some charitable cause you claim to care about. You are guaranteed to get $10,000 for it. With a minimal amount of effort and preparation, you can get more than that, even if you don't get the $50,000 grand prize.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,400
31 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: tank, Cam Newton, Stalin, cobra (DD), Cast Away, Jerry Maguire, Porsche, straw poll (DD), Stephen Hawking

OK, they were bad, but that game was wayyyyy harder than Monday's. But, yeah, they were bad.
I'm sorry to hear that, buddy.
Sprinkles are for winners.