Pop Quiz Help - Updated w/ MORE questions!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Pop Quiz Help

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote:
dinghammer wrote:I know #3, and I have what I believe are decent guesses for 4, 5, 6 and 9.

I think 3 is a good clue if most of the players have heard/read the term. If you've read it but don't know what it means, you can figure it out from the clue. But I don't know how widespread it is.
Is it a word that sounds Italian but isn't ? Otherwise I can't make sense of that opening clause. Feel free to spoil it for me...
I believe I know the answer, and I think the opening clause is trying to say that the word is of Italian origin, at least in part, although the phenomenon itself isn't.
Armandillo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Armandillo »

Thank you for all the feedback! Below are the questions, taking into account some feedback. The changes I made are:
#2 made easier by only requiring ONE team be named
#3 reworded
#6 reworded
#9 reworded

REWORDED QUESTIONS:
1. What 1991 comedy film stars Dan Aykroyd in two roles: as elderly Judge Alvin J.P. Valkenheiser and his deformed grandson Bobo?
2. With the creation of a San Francisco home for the Golden State Warriors sometime in the near future, they will have changed the city of their home stadium three times. Name any OTHER NBA team that has moved at least THREE times.

3. What eerie, but delicious sounding, term describes horror related memes that have been copy and pasted around the Internet.
4. Which pop music sensation was originally discovered on YouTube , at the young age of 12, singing such hits as Ne-Yo’s “So Sick”?
5. What American politico uttered the following infamous quote: There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns . . . But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don’t know we don’t know.”
6. Sail away to the Orinoco Flow, a hit which appeared on the second album, Watermark, of what performer?
7. Gary Owens is probably best known for his role as announcer on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-in, but he also gained a cult following as which white clad superhero, who was revived in 1994 as a talk show host (although no longer voiced by Gary Owens)?
8. Which early 90’s rap duo sang the following lyrics: How high? Real high, 'cause I'm just so fly//A young lovable, hugable type of guy//And everything is to the back with a little slack//'Cause inside-out is wiggity, wiggity, wiggity wack”
9. At the end of the 2004 film The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, Spongebob dons extremely high boots and a cape, to jam out to the Goofy Goober Rock, which clearly references the hair metal classic “I Wanna Rock”, which was penned by whom in 1984?
10. What 1989 scatological yet romantic comedy film, whose title encompassed four characters, starred Richard Bohringer, Michael Gambon, Helen Mirren & Alan Howard.

ANSWERS BELOW:
Spoiler
1) Nothing But Trouble
2) Atlanta Hawks OR Brooklyn Nets OR Sacramento Kings OR Washington Wizards
3) Creepypasta
4) Justin Bieber
5) Donald Rumsfeld
6) Enya
7) Space Ghost
8) Kriss Kross
9) Twisted SIster
10) The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
Please let me know if these changes help. Remember, teams will be 2-3 people, and I will be creating the teams so that weaknesses/strengths are complicated. I read each questions, then give the team 2-3 minutes to think of an answer. At the end, I repeat questions as needed and give the teams additional time to turn in their answer sheet.

Below are questions for the "HARD" round. These questions are SUPPOSED to be hard, bordering on near impossible. Again, feedback is appreciated. The average team shoudl get 4-6 of these. Here, I want to know if they are "too easy", and if so, what can I do to make them harder :P

HARD TRIVIA:
1. Although it sounds like one of the worst songs ever composed, “Puberty Love” is utilized by protagonist Mason Dixon to defeat what titular 1978 creatures?
2. In the Monty Python sketch “The Philosopher’s Football Match”, Archmides, Socrates, Hegel, Nietzsche, Marx & Kant engage in a humorous contest. What other notable thinker served as their referee?
3. The 1961 novel Stranger in a Strange Land tells the story of a Mars-born human who arrives on Earth. It’s author, along with Isaac Asimov & Arthur C. Clarke made up “The Big 3” of science fiction. Who is the author?
4. Jean Baptiste Charbonneau, son of famed Native American Sacagawea, appears as a papoose on a dollar coin, making him the second child to ever be depicted on United States currency. Who became the first in 1937, on a commemorative coin?
5. What horror fiction visionary, wrote about such creatures as Yog-Sothoth, Shathak, Quachil Uttaus, Ithaqua and Cthulhu?
6. Danish American Gutzon Borglum and his son Lincoln, turned down the idea of having notable Americans such as Lewis & Clark and Buffalo Bill Cody, depicted on what landmark?
7. Reunion , an island,east of Madagascar and southwest of Mauritius, which has a population of a little under 1 million, belongs to which country?
8. In 2010, former boy band Hanson, released the bluesy and catch song “Thinking ‘bout Somethin”. The music video for that song, which clearly paid homage to The Blues Brothers’ hit “Shake Your Tail Feather”, features a cameo by which musician, humorously playing the tambourine?
9. In 1994, what woman became the first African-American to direct a feature film for a major motion picture company, with the comedy-drama I Like It Like That, starring Lauren Velez, Jon Seda and Rita Moreno?
10. Husband and wife team, Ken & Roberta Williams, founded which Fresno-based computer company in 1979, which became famous for its games, as well as its network?

ANSWERS BELOW:
Spoiler
1) Killer Tomatoes
2) Confucius
3) Robert A. Heinlein
4) Virginia Dare
5) Cthulhu
6) Mt. Rushmore
7) France
8) "Weird Al" Yankovic
9) Darnell Martin
10) Sierra (Entertainment)
Last edited by Armandillo on Thu May 19, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I found the hard ones much easier than the easy ones. 3, 5, and 6 specifically are really, really easy.

Regarding #10, they founded
Spoiler
On-Line Systems in 1979. It became Sierra On-Line in 82 and Sierra Entertainment in 2002.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

On #2 of the first set, the definition of "moved" needs to be pinned down, and you should probably remove the reference to the Warriors. Even though they're moving back to San Francisco, they will retain the "Golden State" geographical designation. I think it makes the most sense to count only those moves where the team changed its name. Otherwise, there are several other arguably correct answers, such as the Clippers (Buffalo-->San Diego-->Los Angeles Sports Arena-->Staples Center) and the Pistons (Fort Wayne-->Detroit-->Pontiac-->Auburn Hills).

I also think #7 needs to be reworked. Gary Owens provided the voices of two different white-clad cartoon heroes. (This is the other one.) While only one of them went on to be a talk show host, he did not voice the character in that incarnation.
Sprinkles are for winners.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Question 4 should say United States, not American, since there are old Confederate dollars that depict children.

Only 5 and 6 right for me.
Last edited by chmmr on Wed May 18, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Shouldn't the answer to #6 be
Spoiler
Orinoco Flow
?
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Okay, for the hard trivia, #5 is poor and should be rewritten.

To begin with, Cthulhu is only very tangentially mentioned in the story The Shadow over Innsmouth itself. Furthermore, Lovecraft writes about the "The Great Old Ones" plural, not singular, as there are multiple malevolent entities in his universe. Most importantly, he is normally NOT writing about Cthulhu. If you read Lovecraft's stories, Cthulhu is neither the most important, the most powerful, nor the most commonly featured of the Elder Gods.

Yog-Sothoth, for instance, is a far more powerful and common presence throughout his writings.

One possible rewrite would be to simply write; "What HP Lovecraft creation has been described as “part octopus, part man, part dragon”?"
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Thank you everyone. I have posted the revisions suggested. Keep the comments coming!

I also rewrote the Lovecraft question.
Armandillo

Re: Pop Quiz Help - Updated w/ MORE questions!

Post by Armandillo »

I am also working on a picture round. Can someone please tell me, what movie/show this photo is from?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tim+cur ... PrR1dxM%3A
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Armandillo wrote:I am also working on a picture round. Can someone please tell me, what movie/show this photo is from?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tim+cur ... PrR1dxM%3A
Burke and Hare (2010).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Armandillo wrote:3. The 1961 novel Stranger in a Strange Land tells the story of a Mars-born human who arrives on Earth. It’s author, along with Isaac Asimov & Arthur C. Clarke made up “The Big 3” of science fiction. Who is he?
I don't understand the second sentence in that question.

I also do not understand why you listed the answers to the first set twice, once with each question, and then spoilered afterward.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Sorry, it's been fixed.
ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron »

Got 2, 3, 4, and 5 from the "easy" questions. Never heard of 1, 7, or 10. Also never heard the actual title of that Enya song, just assumed it was "Sail Away." Depends on your group, I guess, but I doubt many people have heard of 3.

Got 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 from the "hard" questions. Never heard of 9.

Also never heard of "Burk and Hare."