LL69: for the LLama Drama

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: LL69: for the LLama Drama

Post by dhkendall »

Vermonter wrote:
mrparadise wrote:I did check out the sample questions before signing on, and I was suitably impressed with the difficulty level, but i still expected to do better. Hope my comments didn't come across as whining. My get % of FJs over the years is about 65, I usually pass the on line test (missed the last one by one), and have had several auditions (though not for a few years), so I think I can improve with LL, or die trying.
2-3 days is not a very large sample set. All of us have streaks of terrible days. Hang in there!
Truth. Mine has been running for *checks watch* 1,312 days now.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
drdoug41
Valued Contributor

Post by drdoug41 »

jsterlacci wrote:I got Fuji and Olympus yesterday, but it took me waaaaaaaaaaay longer than I expected. I didn't get Mirepoix or Bronchus (I went artery). That said, I went 5(4) to 3(3), so I'll take it.
Same here, and we have 2 Olympus cameras in the house!!
Similar minds think alike.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

"Very particular set of" cities

I see what you did there Thorsten. (Now. :( I didn't even notice it when I saw the answer after I submitted. Only after I checked the results just now.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I earned a 4(3) - 4(3) tie on MD3 and disappointingly, gave up a 3-pointer. Now 1-1-1 on the season, tied for 7th and in the #13 position in my division.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Just drank my first beer!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

dhkendall wrote:"Very particular set of" cities

I see what you did there Thorsten. (Now. :( I didn't even notice it when I saw the answer after I submitted. Only after I checked the results just now.)
I love this question. I only got it through the 'particular set of' clues. I've never watched the Taken movies.

With Die Hard and Taken in movies so far, I'm going to go study lesser characters in Lethal Weapon and Nick Cage movies.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Managed to win my first match (in either of my rundles) by beating LLama sibling MinardT, 4(3)-3(3). I took a risk with the defense, thinking that a Canadian E rundler with a low world history % wouldn't know Tet. Luckily, I was right.

Also, I'm a little shocked by the huge numbers of people who said Alps. Alps occurred to me, but the wording of the question (specifically, how it included only Italian names) led me to think it was a mountain range that was specifically Italian, not part of a system that went through several countries. That led me to the Apennines.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

StevenH wrote:And I am 1 for 12 to start the season. I see an E rundle in my future.
Yesterday I went 4/6 and got the win. I liked yesterday's questions better than the first 2 days!

I am glad that I made the switch from Alps to Apennines after I realized that all the names sounded Italian, and if it was the Alps then there would probably be more of a mix (like nightreign). And despite my usual ignorance of film, I got Taken right away and was fairly confident on it.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

ouachiouat wrote:Just drank my first beer!
I almost did. Bananarama was one of the groups I thought of, but didn't end up choosing them.

Wish I had because I lost to a 9(5). Thought my opponent (a DJ/music journalist) would know that music question so I gave it 0. Maybe there'll be a day that I don't lose…
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

econgator wrote:
mrparadise wrote:Asking as a rookie, are they all this hard? I was thinking they'd be roughly comparable to FJs, maybe. But they're way harder!
A lot of them also look hard, but really aren't. Thorsten likes to give hints -- some subtle, some not-so -- in many of the clues. It takes a little while to start to recognize them.
Yeah, like the one in the Taken question. I couldn't have been more wrong with my answer - the Before trilogy. :lol:
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

nightreign wrote: Also, I'm a little shocked by the huge numbers of people who said Alps. Alps occurred to me, but the wording of the question (specifically, how it included only Italian names) led me to think it was a mountain range that was specifically Italian, not part of a system that went through several countries. That led me to the Apennines.
I thought it was negbait, i.e., that they only included the Italian passes and tunnels in the Alps to trick us to go for Apennines. Apparently, I'm too devious for my own good. Still, it's easy to win when your opponent forfeits as expected (he hasn't played a game yet).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On the bright side, I played perfect defense. Too bad that was part of a 6(5)-1(2) loss. My only gets were Tet and flop. Never heard of the Taken movies.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Bamaman wrote:On the bright side, I played perfect defense. Too bad that was part of a 6(5)-1(2) loss. My only gets were Tet and flop. Never heard of the Taken movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJvlxdFKW8
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

The Bananarama question was one of those where I was shocked to find on submission that my WAG was correct. I literally could think of no other British girl group from the '80s (Siobhan Fahey pinned it to the UK for me) and so put them down despite my misgivings that they were a quartet (The Banana Splits, inspiration for their name, was a quartet). Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. :mrgreen:
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Fridays questions were definitely more up my alley, winning 5(4) - 4(3).

The Tet question scared me because it felt too easy.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Suffered my third straight loss [6(4) 9(6)], but I feel better. Knew one cold, pretty confident of three, and no chance on two. According to the stats, this would have been victorious against most opponents, but not much you can do against perfection. Bring on Tuesday!
jsterlacci
Contributor

Post by jsterlacci »

Drank my first beer....and I'm in first place in my rundle! I'm up against #2 on Tuesday, so that should be a lot of fun.

Bananarama really gave me pause for MD3. I didn't really struggle with any of the other five; I think I spent a half hour looking at the questions, and 28 of those minutes were on the Bananarama one.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

ElendilPickle wrote:
econgator wrote:
mrparadise wrote:Asking as a rookie, are they all this hard? I was thinking they'd be roughly comparable to FJs, maybe. But they're way harder!
A lot of them also look hard, but really aren't. Thorsten likes to give hints -- some subtle, some not-so -- in many of the clues. It takes a little while to start to recognize them.
Yeah, like the one in the Taken question. I couldn't have been more wrong with my answer - the Before trilogy. :lol:
I was about to guess the Before trilogy, but was able to switch to Taken just in time. I made my first stupid mistake yesterday, saying "river" instead of "flop" for the poker question. Oh well. I'm in second in my rundle, so I can't complain too much!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ElendilPickle wrote:
econgator wrote:
Before isn't as wrong as Bourne (the MCW). Before was set in Vienna, Paris and Athens...sharing Paris with Taken. It's at least 1/3rd correct.
Bourne is all over the ruddy place.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I won 7(4)-0(0) that included getting 3 for Tet and 0 for the gibbous I did not get. Told you my science is not a strength. If I took more than a 10-minute approach to the game then I know I could have figured it out as well as Bananarama. For Taken I had the answer and then noticed the great hint before submitting my full set of answers.