Wednesday, May 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Raise your hand if you lost the Elba/St. Helena coin flip!
Not me! I've finally got it straight which exile was which. More important, I know that Elba is in the Mediterranean and not way out in the Atlantic somewhere.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:Able was I ere I said Elba.
Are you sure you didn't see it?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Archer was pretty mean negbait for Orion. Sure, he's -technically- the hunter, but half the time he's drawn as an archer...
opusthepenguin wrote:
Not me! I've finally got it straight which exile was which. More important, I know that Elba is in the Mediterranean and not way out in the Atlantic somewhere.
Ditto.
Bamaman wrote:Anybody else know the Hawaiian queen but clam because they weren't sure how to pronounce her name?
Knew it and didn't clam. (Saw that exact statue on my trip. The building in the background is Iolani Palace which was so incredibly awesome compared to my expectations for it. Put it on your list of you visit. Unrelated, *cough*, the audio tour for said palace said her name about 20 times easy...)

Another Geoffrey here, and after the reveal it still took me 10 seconds to figure out the trick behind Antoinette...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

ST. HELENA!
YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

...with that out of my system...

FJ was pretty much an insta-get.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Anybody else know the Hawaiian queen but clam because they weren't sure how to pronounce her name?
I'd bet that's why they didn't respond, but I do know how to pronounce it.
That queen's name is something I know only from Jeopardy! The only reason I know how to spell or pronounce it (more or less) is that I've noticed, to my surprise, that they have expected people to come up with her name on previous shows.

So I learned her name, not because I believe we "should" know how to pronounce it, but only because Jeopardy! has asked about it. Tonight, naurae29 were trying to find the right term for that -- something like "rage learning" or "protest learning". ("I don't really 'believe' we should know this, but if they've asked about it, I guess I'll learn it.")
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I guess I need to do some cramming on the Harry Potter series. I was perfect in the J! round except for that category, where I got goose-egged.
Me too. I'm great at mythological creatures, but that couldn't make up for never having read the books, and having mostly ignored the first two movies when they played them in school 15 years ago. Anywho,

26R/2W
Coryat-$17,400 (yikes!)
LT-Fahrenheit 9/11, alphanumeric
DD- 2/3 (got St. Helena, at least!)
FJ- Correct, 10 seconds in.

Great stuff from Buzzy.

Incidentally, how does his per-game money average stack up against other 5+ and 8+ day champions, taking the doubling into account? I think it's at about $18k per game or thereabouts, which strikes me as low.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

IronNeck wrote:
Great stuff from Buzzy.

Incidentally, how does his per-game money average stack up against other 5+ and 8+ day champions, taking the doubling into account? I think it's at about $18k per game or thereabouts, which strikes me as low.
Well, I haven't done any kind of calculation, but if you look at the J! ToC tracker for this year, Andrew Pau with six wins has $170,202, while after his seventh win Buzzy had $133,402.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote:ST. HELENA!
YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

...with that out of my system...

FJ was pretty much an insta-get.
Better game 6 than game 1.

Buzzy bet 2000 of 4000 on his J! round DD. Did it matter? Of course not.

For a contrast in TOC results the players who have won exactly 8 games are Tom Kavanaugh, Tom Nissley, Drew Horwood and Ben Ingram.

Only Dan Pawson and Jason Keller have won exactly 9 games.

No has won exactly 10 or 12 games, so those winning number of days are available for Buzzy to claim as his own.

Like others I solved the FJ! clue by doing Antoinette to Tony like the Broadway award. I did not know it immediately and had no recognition of Tony's daughter. Tony Jr. I do remember. Mama Tony and Mrs. Tony I do not recall either.

I will have Geoffrey the Giraffe on the poll. In case it comes up on J! or Millionaire or LL, etc. the wife of Geoffrey is Gigi, the daughter is Baby Gee and the son is Junior.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

IronNeck wrote:
The 8x champs
Tom Kavanaugh: $142,602
Tom Nissley: $235,405
Ben Ingram: $176,534
Drew Horwood: $138,100
Buzzy Cohen: $147,803

The 9x champs:
Dan Pawson: $170,902
Jason Keller: $213,900

So, Buzzy is right in the missle of the 8x champs and if he wins tomorrow it's possible he could beat Pawson's total although Buzzy has only had better than 23K once, his debut game.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
The 8x champs
Tom Kavanaugh: $142,602
Tom Nissley: $235,405
Ben Ingram: $176,534
Drew Horwood: $138,100
Buzzy Cohen: $147,803

The 9x champs:
Dan Pawson: $170,902
Jason Keller: $213,900

So, Buzzy is right in the missle of the 8x champs and if he wins tomorrow it's possible he could beat Pawson's total although Buzzy has only had better than 23K once, his debut game.
Thanks. While I love dominant champions like Matt Jackson and Alex Jacob (incidentally, about $150k in just 6 wins), there is definitely something appealing about a very good player who simply finds a way to win game after game. Lends additional drama.

I would be curious to see how Buzzy's per-game average compares to that of all 5+ day champions (again, correcting for the doubling). My guess is that it would be somewhere in the 20th-25th percentile.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote:
The clue also gave us Longwood House. Hey! I know where that is!
OCSam
brick

Post by brick »

Loved the Hawai'i category and was beside myself with their avoidance of it. Happy we saw all the clues. There were a handful of Polynesian clues in the double J too. Made me wonder if today was a Hawai'ian holiday. It isn't.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Yup. Bottom row was the only place for that clue, and I wouldn't' fault a single person for clamming on that in the studio.
TenPoundHammer wrote:This grammar nazi ran the Parts of Speech category. Also ran A_C.
Also somewhat of a grammar nazi, but parts of speech is one of my worst categories, down there with pop culture, art, theatre, ballet, and sports. (Man, I have a lot of bad categories!) Other than nouns, which I think I got down cold, I can't really come u0p with a given part of speech within the timeframe allotted for a Jeopardy! response, sometimes not at all. So congrats on getting 5/5 to my 0/5.

But I also ran A_C because those categories I excel in.
pauerpoint wrote:Congrats to Buzzy, that was a much better game than yesterday's. I had nothing on FJ, Antoinette sent me to Marie (and therefore a dead end) instead of Tony.

Elba is obviously a good guess for the Napoleon DD, but it doesn't fit the category because it does not belong to Britain. Speaking of which, what's with Alex's accent every time the word "British" comes up? I guess at least it's (slightly) more bearable than his Dracula one.
Great minds think alike. (Or in this case, a great mind and a schlub think alike!) Was also dead ended on Marie and wouldn't have gotten to Tony the Tiger at all. But, being a geography geek, St. Helena was an instaget (like Orange_SAM, I also know where Longwood is as well) but I"m also surprised the number of boardies that don't know that St. Helena a) is in the Mediterranean and not the South Atlantic (and whose bright idea was it to exile him to an island really close to the mainland?) and b) not British.

Fun fact on today's correct response in FJ, although given this crowd, I'd be shocked if less than 75% of you don't know this: the voice of Tony the Tiger, Thurl Ravenscroft, was also the signing voice in How The Grinch Stole Christmas. (Now I bet you can't hear that great voice singing the line "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch" followed by "They're grrrrrrrrrrreat!"). (Being a bass/baritone myself, Ravenscroft is one of my singing muses)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:But, being a geography geek, St. Helena was an instaget (like Orange_SAM, I also know where Longwood is as well) but I"m also surprised the number of boardies that don't know that St. Helena a) is in the Mediterranean and not the South Atlantic (and whose bright idea was it to exile him to an island really close to the mainland?) and b) not British.
See, now that's just being mean to people who already can't keep straight which one is Elba and which one is St Helena.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
pauerpoint wrote:Congrats to Buzzy, that was a much better game than yesterday's. I had nothing on FJ, Antoinette sent me to Marie (and therefore a dead end) instead of Tony.
Great minds think alike. (Or in this case, a great mind and a schlub think alike!)
Hey, now. Andrew is NOT a schlub!
ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron »

Instaget FJ for me, recognized "animal advertising icon" from this FJ.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

MarkBarrett wrote:although Buzzy has only had better than 23K once, his debut game.
I have this theory that you tend to win bigger when you play against quality opponents . . .
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

opusthepenguin wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Great minds think alike. (Or in this case, a great mind and a schlub think alike!)
Hey, now. Andrew is NOT a schlub!
Ha, I'm not so sure about that, but thanks both!

I'm glad I never lost a game from the lead because I didn't get FJ (like Jerry with Dracula), I think I'd feel awful for quite a long time.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "surfing" at $200? There are lots of pastimes that involve the ocean.
I thought of swimming, diving and boat racing.

I think this is the sort of the clue where you just have to think like the writers and know they would ask for surfing. If you couldn't take that guess, that doesn't make you stupid, just risk-averse. Sometimes you just have to take a guess. And don't beat yourself up if you're wrong.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "surfing" at $200? There are lots of pastimes that involve the ocean.
I thought of swimming, diving and boat racing.

I think this is the sort of the clue where you just have to think like the writers and know they would ask for surfing. If you couldn't take that guess, that doesn't make you stupid, just risk-averse. Sometimes you just have to take a guess. And don't beat yourself up if you're wrong.
This is true as a general principle, but here, surfing is clearly the correct response. Surfing is much more than just a sport in Hawaii, and surfing legends like Duke Kahanamoku and Eddie Aikau are cultural icons whose names are spoken with reverence.
Sprinkles are for winners.