Monday, June 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Anachronism »

trainman wrote:
Anachronism wrote: If I ever manage to get the call, I'm sure they will have to remind me not to say, "clues I can't hear for $800, please." There's always a loud background noise, and not having the text on the screen means I usually go 0-for-5. Think I figured out one of them this time. The clue presenters are nice to look at, I guess, but this whole video clue thing I wish would just go away - at least until they can figure out how to match the background audio properly.
Try turning on the closed captioning. (I, personally, never have problems hearing the Clue Crew on these remote clues.)
That tends to cause problems with the other categories.

I'm getting better about saying, "not another ----ing video category" every time it comes up, to the relief of Mrs. Anachronism. Of course, that does nothing for those New York Times reporter categories, where at least you have text on the screen, but it's, "Hi, I'm Daenerys Targaryen of the New York Times, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, called Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Mother of Dragons... oh, and here's the question... (last minute to go in the round)"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wasn't there an FJ not too long ago where knowing the Latin word for love was a big part of solving the clue?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Anachronism wrote:
trainman wrote:
Anachronism wrote: If I ever manage to get the call, I'm sure they will have to remind me not to say, "clues I can't hear for $800, please." There's always a loud background noise, and not having the text on the screen means I usually go 0-for-5. Think I figured out one of them this time. The clue presenters are nice to look at, I guess, but this whole video clue thing I wish would just go away - at least until they can figure out how to match the background audio properly.
Try turning on the closed captioning. (I, personally, never have problems hearing the Clue Crew on these remote clues.)
That tends to cause problems with the other categories.

I'm getting better about saying, "not another ----ing video category" every time it comes up, to the relief of Mrs. Anachronism. Of course, that does nothing for those New York Times reporter categories, where at least you have text on the screen, but it's, "Hi, I'm Daenerys Targaryen of the New York Times, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, called Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Mother of Dragons... oh, and here's the question... (last minute to go in the round)"
Where's that "like" button?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bamaman wrote:Wasn't there an FJ not too long ago where knowing the Latin word for love was a big part of solving the clue?
Found it. From the game thread, it seems I got it, so I might have figured this one out.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5181
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:
floridagator wrote:
This land is your land, This land is my land
From Bonavista to Vancouver Island
From the Great Lakes waters to the Arctic islands
This land was made for you and me.
Those are not the words I learned in school. But there may well have been variations.

Brian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjMuKh1Wpo
Those are the words I remember learning. Maybe there aren't variations, and floridagator's just talking out of his a**.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Wasn't there an FJ not too long ago where knowing the Latin word for love was a big part of solving the clue?
Found it. From the game thread, it seems I got it, so I might have figured this one out.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5181
While I did get that one, I very highly doubt I would have gotten this one if not for the spoiler.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

floridagator wrote:
This land is your land, This land is my land
From Bonavista to Vancouver Island
From the Great Lakes waters to the Arctic islands
This land was made for you and me.
Actually it's "From the Arctic Circle to the Great Lakes waters,"
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

dinghammer wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I'm certain I would have gotten FJ! even without the spoiler.
I'm about 98% sure I would have figured it out. I don't know much Latin, but I know "love" and "god". But there's always the possibility of a brainfart. I don't know what to do in the weekly poll. Here's hoping for another 15-month gap between posts. (Like Bamaman, I also didn't know the Clue of the Day was FJ. I'm saying this here so that thread can hopefully vanish into the æther.)
Anachronism wrote:For those who have been onstage, is the difference in the audio on these video clues really that bad? Or do they provide text somewhere?
I've heard there's text displayed somewhere. As annoying as the talking head video clues are in which the people have to introduce themselves, usually after a long pause that can't be edited out for some reason, at least the text of those clues is shown. I didn't think this category was nearly as hard to hear as the barbecue one. Maybe tomorrow's episode can have a category all about industrial grinders or blacksmithing.
There is a truncated version of the clue that appears on the board, while a separate screen shows the video clue.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

I was really pulling for Kelly too. We Trekkies stick together. :D
MitchO wrote:
econgator wrote:
MitchO wrote:And that's the only other team in any major sport EVER to have played in Brooklyn. Only other ones are either minor league teams (at best), or actually played elsewhere in New York City.
The Islanders play in Brooklyn now.
I said MAJOR sport. :p

(And they're still called the New York Islanders, not Brooklyn. And 2015 .. also not really close to the 1930s.)
Them thar's fightin' words. :P
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lore wrote:I was really pulling for Kelly too. We Trekkies stick together. :D
How do you know she's not a Trekker?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote: Those are the words I remember learning. Maybe there aren't variations, and floridagator's just talking out of his a**.

Brian
Or maybe floridagator just misremembered, his lyrics aren't that dissimilar.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

bpmod wrote:
Jaksiel wrote:I thought Stew said "Kays" instead of "Kay" for the mall jeweler clue. Did I hear incorrectly? I really thought that was going to be overturned, and then Stew wouldn't have had a lock going into FJ.
He definitely said "Kays".Brian
According to the closed captioners, he definitely said "Kay's". ;-)
EJVA
Contributor

Post by EJVA »

This Is Kirk! wrote:According to the archive Moroder's name has come up once before, but it was in the clue:
BEARD AWARD-WINNING CHEFS $400: "Flashdance" composer Giorgio Moroder suggested that this chef call his restaurant Spago
from 10/23/2012
I have never heard of Moroder but this one is an instaget for me.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

What an unusual game for me. Usually when I pick up Lach Trash it's because the contestants miss a hard/high value clue. Tonight my only LT were wheat germ ($200), Newfoundland ($200) and interfaith ($400). And yeah, I'm with the others who have said so: Given that two contestants missed Newfoundland, what else was there for the third contestant to guess? What an odd miss by the three.

I ran the category in aircraft, national parks, and sports teams names, plus the easy-peasy Instaget FJ.

Sorry to see Kelly go, but I frankly wasn't terribly surprised. She did way better than most but didn't strike me as a powerhouse super-champ.

Congrats to Stew. I hope he enjoys his win. I wouldn't bet on a second one for him after he missed the Amadeus FJ. I know that classical music isn't in everyone's wheelhouse, but that was a real softball to miss.

And yeah, "revenue" means "income." duh.
davey

Post by davey »

Ironically (?), Irene Cara's website refers to her as a pioneer. In context, it appears that it's referring to her Academy Award as "the first bi-racial female ever to win in any category pre-dating Halle Berry by nearly twenty years."
Her Wikipedia entry says she co-wrote the lyrics for the Flashdance theme. Moroder wrote the music. (Her own site doesn't make this clear, and quirkily refers to the movie and song as Flash dance repeatedly.)
"Pioneering," "trailblazer." "one of disco's principal architects," "on the front lines," "synonymous with a sound." Something like this in most stories about Giorgio Moroder...
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

It's the "electronic dance music" part that I don't think Cara had any part in pioneering. That is why I am fine with the neg and would be (or have been) against a reversal.

I would go so far as to say that "electronic dance music pioneer" is pavlov for Moroder (although I have always spelled it wrong before yesterday).

Brian

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bpmod wrote:I would go so far as to say that "electronic dance music pioneer" is pavlov for Moroder (although I have always spelled it wrong before yesterday)
Please tell me he's not the person responsible for that annoying, rapid fire electronic snare drum sound every electronic dance song seems to require.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I got the impression that Kelly was tired; she didn't seem as perky and happy as in her previous appearances. Might this game have been near the end of a taping cycle?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

SBurrus wrote:I got the impression that Kelly was tired; she didn't seem as perky and happy as in her previous appearances. Might this game have been near the end of a taping cycle?
It was the first game of the day. It may or may not have been the first (taping) day of the week.

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yes on Kay's, no on Cara in my book.

Speaking of the Concorde, I grew up literally under the approach path to Kennedy airport. Needless to say, the noise from the planes was pretty bad. When they announced that the Concorde (which was supposed to be even noisier) was going to start service to JFK, protests were organized to try and stop it. The protest (organized by a friend of my father's) consisted of something like 1,000 people driving their cars around the airport at 5-10 MPH on numerous occasions in order to get the Port Authority's attention. I thought it was pretty cool to be involved in that. Obviously, it didn't work, and they allowed the flights. And once they did, we always watched the Concorde fly over, which was incredibly cool in and of itself, even if it was ridiculously loud. You could always tell when it was taking off by the sound of it.
dhkendall wrote:When we first got married my wife said to me that she wanted a copy of "Song of the South" because she remembers the "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" song fondly as a child. Being a dutiful husband I scoured eBay for it, bid on three different auctions but all were shut down at the last minute by some unknown party. Finally, on my fourth try, I managed to get one from a European seller at the last minute, supposedly the House of Mouse tried to get to it just *after* my successful bid. Anyways, I do now own a copy of Song of the South on VHS, but we got rid of our VHS machine years ago. (Still have the tape, though. I put that much trouble into it, I'm keeping it!)
I'd be curious to see it, myself. I remember it fondly from childhood, but wouldn't have recognized the racist aspects of it at that age. Someone should really convert it to DVD (hopefully it's not in PAL). You've got a treasure there.
econgator wrote:The Islanders play in Brooklyn now.
Do you have to remind me?