FJs for the 6/20/16 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/20/16 week?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:52 pm

"Episodes" in this 1922 work include the Lotus Eaters & Ithaca
62%
Later a book title, the 2-word title of this 1968 song is a British name for a spiral slide seen at fairgrounds
61%
Excluding Russia, it has the longest mainland coastline of any European country, 15,626 miles
59%
She won a 2006 Oscar & a 2015 Tony for playing the same monarch, though in different productions
53%
In 1932 he & several San Francisco colleagues formed Group f/64 to promote greater realism in their art
62%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
15%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
WORLD PIECE $1200: The name of this Earth layer that extends to about 60 miles in depth is from Greek for "stone ball"
42%
ORGANIZATIONS $600: FDR founded the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis, better known as this group
75%
LITERARY NICKNAMES $200: One of Shakespeare's nicknames was this bird "of Avon"
18%
I missed the Monday FJ! clue by guessing "Siddhartha" or "Dubliners."
10%
"Yellow Submarine" was my incorrect response for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
7%
Sweden was my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
3%
Italy was my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
11%
Cate Blanchett or Judi Dench was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
32%
For the Friday FJ! clue I recognized that f/64 was related to photography.
61%

Total votes: 122

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: FJs for the 6/20/16 week

Post by Bamaman »

If only there were nine people who got Thursday only would suddenly appear and vote.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:
Another Ukraine on Wed here...I read coastline and thought border... :roll:
I know the term f-stop but didn't catch the F/64 significance. (Maybe if it had appeared in the clue as f/64 and not F/64 I would have seen it...) I started with Robert Rauschenberg and ended up with Jasper Johns...
A clam and "Easter Seals" for the extras...Swan of Avon seems quite familiar to me...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:(Maybe if it had appeared in the clue as f/64 and not F/64 I would have seen it...)
Yeah, I think they should've broken out the lowercase for that one. They did it for Heather MacDougall, why not for Group f/64?
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
davey wrote:(Maybe if it had appeared in the clue as f/64 and not F/64 I would have seen it...)
Yeah, I think they should've broken out the lowercase for that one. They did it for Heather MacDougall, why not for Group f/64?
The capital F made me think first of F-111, the pop-art painting by James Rosenquist, so since he didn't fit I kept casting around for painters.
Also, this may be bogus, but I think of Ansel Adams as an environmentalist who photographed. When I consider early masters of American art photography, I think of Edward Weston (who it turns out was a co-founder of f/64), Edward Steichen, Alfred Stieglitz.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
The capital F made me think first of F-111, the pop-art painting by James Rosenquist, so since he didn't fit I kept casting around for painters.
Also, this may be bogus, but I think of Ansel Adams as an environmentalist who photographed. When I consider early masters of American art photography, I think of Edward Weston (who it turns out was a co-founder of f/64), Edward Steichen, Alfred Stieglitz.
Ansel Adams, like his friend Edward Weston, was a scrupulous and innovative printmaker. He played many tricks to get some of his iconic images such as Moonrise, Hernandez and many of his contemporaries learned much from him. It is also true, though, that he had a political dimension to some of his art, such as his photos of Manzanar, and his photos of Yosemite required Hetculean efforts to obtain.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote:Considering that 70% got the Ulysses clue, it appears that my earlier claim, that it being a TS was highly unusual and that something comparable might not happen again for an entire season, was in fact perfectly valid.
I'd say give it a little time to settle in. The numbers have a tendency to go down slightly as more people vote. That said, it's certainly polling higher than I expected it would (67% as I type this).

Pretty amazing the consistency of difficulty of the FJs this week.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Terrible week for me but also very odd. I only got two and, as of right now, they are the two least gotten ones.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This was a week for good FJ clues. Nothing wildly obscure. Nothing way too easy. Good job, writers!
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My second week in a row where I got at least 4/5. I can't remember the last time that happened, if at all. Said Germany on Wednesday for my only miss this week.

Got the Swan of Avon clue, but it was a pure guess. I couldn't tell you where I heard that term before.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wednesday: no response

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Really interesting that only 17% got the "Swan" of Avon clue. I also missed it and had never heard the reference before.

I'm sure there has been, but when is the last time a $200 clue polled less than this before? Thanks ahead of time to anyone looking into this.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

IronNeck wrote:Really interesting that only 17% got the "Swan" of Avon clue. I also missed it and had never heard the reference before.

I'm sure there has been, but when is the last time a $200 clue polled less than this before? Thanks ahead of time to anyone looking into this.
By my count, only 26 $200 clues have been included in the 230 weekly polls run on this board. The previous lowest get rate was 30.4% for FOILED $200, and the average percentage on those 26 clues is 55.5% (compared to 62.3% across all FJs).
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

cheezguyty wrote:
IronNeck wrote:Really interesting that only 17% got the "Swan" of Avon clue. I also missed it and had never heard the reference before.

By my count, only 26 $200 clues have been included in the 230 weekly polls run on this board. The previous lowest get rate was 30.4% for FOILED $200, and the average percentage on those 26 clues is 55.5% (compared to 62.3% across all FJs).
Wow, so that's actually the far more unprecedented among the options above. Thanks again.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

IronNeck wrote:Considering that 70% got the Ulysses clue, it appears that my earlier claim, that it being a TS was highly unusual and that something comparable might not happen again for an entire season, was in fact perfectly valid. Contrary to This is Kirk's objections.
As noted in the game thread, this clue seems to be settling in at 64%. Last month we had two TS FJs that came in at 65%. It appears that your earlier claim, that it being a TS was highly unusual and that something comparable might not happen again for an entire season, was in fact not valid. Contrary to your statement above.

This is Kirk wasn't entirely correct either. But he's a mensch, so he's already admitted that this clue polled higher than he expected.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

opusthepenguin wrote:
IronNeck wrote:Considering that 70% got the Ulysses clue, it appears that my earlier claim, that it being a TS was highly unusual and that something comparable might not happen again for an entire season, was in fact perfectly valid. Contrary to This is Kirk's objections.
As noted in the game thread, this clue seems to be settling in at 64%. Last month we had two TS FJs that came in at 65%. It appears that your earlier claim, that it being a TS was highly unusual and that something comparable might not happen again for an entire season, was in fact not valid. Contrary to your statement above.
My "earlier claim" was the following, from the other topic you feverishly posted in, after I ignored your embarrassing private messages demanding a retraction on someone else's behalf;
IronNeck wrote: As noted, there have been easier FJs, including a number I have missed. That's not noteworthy. What is very noteworthy is that it was a Triple Stumper. No clue what it will poll at, but if it's even 60% as someone above mentioned, that's damn strange for a TS on the show.
So until that 64% drops below the 60%, my statement is quite valid.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

You really insist on being right, don't you?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Bad week. I played Friday's FJ off the game thread and it's possible that I was helped by the small f in f/64, but I'll take it. Italy Wednesday. Thursday I got as far as Helen... and I had the right face in mind, but I couldn't finish the name so I went with Judi Dench to have something.

NHO Swan of Avon.

33233334[20ToC]2324244233[42CC]33414334433[43TT][4PP]33321, 119 - 86
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

This Is Kirk! wrote:You really insist on being right, don't you?
Me, or the guy whining for an apology on your behalf, opus?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:You really insist on being right, don't you?
Me, or the guy whining for an apology on your behalf, opus?
You.