Women of Jeopardy calendar?!?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Women of Jeopardy calendar?!?

Post by CoachP »

Hi female boardies,

I had an interesting FB message from someone who had contacted me after my appearance on the show a few years back. The initial contact was along the lines of "Hi, saw you on the show, congratulations, and can you tell me a bit about the process?" There was also a friend request which I declined as I don't know this person. Today, the person contacts me again saying she (from the username and photo I am making this assumption) is a photographer and putting together a Women of Jeopardy calendar and would I like to be in it.

Anyone else get this request? Thoughts? (if you did get this request) My first instinct is to ignore the message.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Women of Jeopardy calendar?!?

Post by jeff6286 »

I don't know which of two banned boardies this could be a smokescreen for, but I would run far, far away. Just my two cents.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Obviously this is something to be ignored. The only reason for mentioning it should be to warn other potential victims.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Yes, one of the banned boardies crossed my mind as well...ick!
I wasn't planning on responding, let alone pose for pictures for "a calendar"
ETA: will also block this FB acct so I don't receive further messages
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not know a second boardie had been banned.

I think you made a wise choice in shutting this person down and mentioning it here was a good idea. While such a project is possible (though unlikely), any such invites would be coming through the show itself and this person was clearly a fake.

It might be a good idea to contact the show and let them know about this.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Someone got banned from this board? Really??
BobF

Post by BobF »

Add me to the list of people who find this highly dubious. I mean, Jeopardy! is all about the mind, not about physical appearance (which is usually what sells "Women of ..." type calendars).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Eek! What Jeff said.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

BobF wrote:Add me to the list of people who find this highly dubious. I mean, Jeopardy! is all about the mind, not about physical appearance (which is usually what sells "Women of ..." type calendars).
I'm not suggesting that this isn't highly suspicious, especially given the history of certain people on this board.

However, I can vouch for a "Women of ...." calendar that isn't about physical appearance. A group within a business mastermind that I belong to created a 2016 calendar -- "Women of Class" -- featuring women entrepreneurs over the age of 50. http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/12/prweb13096056.htm
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

RandyG wrote:
BobF wrote:Add me to the list of people who find this highly dubious. I mean, Jeopardy! is all about the mind, not about physical appearance (which is usually what sells "Women of ..." type calendars).
I'm not suggesting that this isn't highly suspicious, especially given the history of certain people on this board.

However, I can vouch for a "Women of ...." calendar that isn't about physical appearance. A group within a business mastermind that I belong to created a 2016 calendar -- "Women of Class" -- featuring women entrepreneurs over the age of 50. http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/12/prweb13096056.htm
That's fine.

But any request that does not come from the Jeopardy! producers or contestant coordinators cannot be legally legitimate. ie. You can't produce a Women of Jeopardy! calendar without their permission and, once you have it, they would handle the initial contacts.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Also, if the person who sent the initial message seems to be "hiding" whatever their photographer qualifications are, that's a red flag.

If it were a case of "Hello, I am [reasonably well-established photographer with an online presence] and here are examples of my previous work that people have liked", then that might be something that you would accept or reject (and possibly have no interest in whatsoever) but at least it would be a legitimate established photographer with a name and reputation. This, on the other hand, could so easily be a smokescreen for something else, or just a really half-baked idea that somebody has.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Um. This is 100% not legit. I haven't been targeted, but other women of Jeopardy! have gotten a similar message from the same person, some of which feature rather...strange requests. We're not sure who this is, but it's probably a fake account. I would block her if I were you.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Thanks all for your comments/suggestions.

Not sure contacting TPTB would do any good as the FB profile looked pretty generic and hard to track down. Could be someone's legit yet misguided attempt, but comes across creepy. And IF such a product (a calendar or any item produced w/the J! name without being an officially licensed product) were produced I'm sure the J! legal team would be on it quickly anyway.

Good to know I'm not the only one contacted in such a way (although it is a "club" I'd rather not be a member of), and if this post helps any other female contestants, I'm happy to help get the word out.