Wednesday, July 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7348, 2016-07-20

Pranjal Vachaspati game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Conor Lastowka, a comedy writer originally from Vienna, Virginia
Sophie Carrell, a graduate student from Raleigh, North Carolina
Pranjal Vachaspati, a Ph.D. student originally from Shaker Heights, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,910)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you very much. [Trying miserably to perform Spock's Vulcan split-fingers hand salute, in imitation of Pranjal's gesture during his introduction] I can't do it. I could never do it. Pranjal, you embarrass me! Darn! Sophie and Conor, nice to have you with us today. And good luck to all three of you. Let's have some fun with these categories. I think you'll enjoy them...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEN OF NOTE (4/5)
BEVERAGE BRANDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV WHO SAID IT? (4/5)
OUR GREAT COUNTRY (4/5)
SAILING JOBS (3/5)
DRAW YOUR "GUN" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Pranjal: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Sophie: 7 R, 2 W
Conor: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pranjal found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Pranjal had $1,000, Sophie had $600, and Conor had nothing in the bank. Pranjal made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

BEVERAGE BRANDS $600: John McLaughlin created this brand of ginger ale in Toronto in 1904
(Alex: Yeah, almost an obvious one. Softball. Go again.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Pranjal: $5,200
Sophie: $1,200
Conor: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Conor Lastowka is a comedy writer from Virginia. Conor, I heard recently that for every day of the year, there is a holiday of some kind, and I hear that you are responsible for coming up with one of those. And it was maybe a fake holiday that persists?

Conor: That's right, Alex. We came up with National High Five Day--

[Alex offers a high-five and Conor takes it.]

Conor: Right there.

Alex: Thank you.

Conor: Back in 2002 at the University of Virginia, we started it. It's the third Thursday in every April, and it's just gotten bigger every year. The President's tweeted about it.

Alex: All right, good for you!

Alex: Sophie "kar-ELL", Carrell ["KARE-ull"], sorry. Sophie Carrell, graduate student from North Carolina who studied at Oxford.

Sophie: I did. When I was an undergrad, I did a study abroad at Oxford, studying history of England. And so the particular subject I was studying was a plague village called Eyam. And these people decided to quarantine themselves so that none of the neighbors would get plague, and it worked.

Alex: It worked?

Sophie: It worked.

Alex: All right, good.

Alex: Pranjal Vachaspati. Now, talking about Europe, you drove a tiny car all around Iceland.

Pranjal: Yeah.

Alex: Now, that doesn't take a long time to do.

Pranjal: It's about, uh, 15 hours. Uh, the speed limits are slow, and in January, there's a lot of ice.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Pranjal: So I went with my friend, and he's a better driver than me, so he did most of the driving, but we made it.

Alex: Why Iceland?

Pranjal: There were cheap plane tickets, and it was January, and it seemed like a good story.

[Laughter]

Alex: Hmm. Okay. I'm beginning to have my doubts about you, Pranjal. Pick up your signaling device.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SAILING JOBS $600: If you had done this type of useful "service", it was doing clerical work on the ship

MEN OF NOTE $800: Delaware's name is derived from the 12th Baron de la Warr, who was governor of this colony from 1609 to 1618
(Pranjal: What is New York?)
(Sophie: What is Massachusetts?)

TV WHO SAID IT? $1000: This character on "Glee":
"It is my strong recommendation that both these students be hobbled"
(Sophie: Who is Mr. Schue?)

OUR GREAT COUNTRY $1000: Oahu's Diamond Head has great views of this coastal resort district just to its west

SAILING JOBS $1000: General term for any noncommissioned officer aboard ship, chief
(Pranjal: What's an ensign?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Pranjal: $6,200
Conor: $2,200
Sophie: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOMEN OF NOTE (4/5)
JEWISH HISTORY (2/4)
TREES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FLIP HOMOPHONES (4/4) (Alex: Each correct response will be homophones that have the order of two letters flipped within them.)
THAT'S A REAL HORROR STORY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Conor: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Pranjal: 10 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Sophie: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pranjal snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Pranjal had $9,000, Sophie had $3,200, and Conor was at $7,000. Pranjal wagered $3,000.

THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE $1200: The meeting of the electors takes place on the first Monday after the second Wednesday in this month

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sophie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Pranjal had $16,000, Sophie had $4,800, and Conor was at $7,800. Sophie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,800.

TREES $800: Found in the scientific name of the redwoods, sempervirens is Latin for this type of tree
(What is Sequoia?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WOMEN OF NOTE $2000: On Feb. 16, 1968 Martin Luther King gave this singer the Southern Christian Leadership award on her "Day" in Detroit
(Alex: Gave her a lot of respect because her name was [*].)

THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE $2000: In a joint session of Congress, this official presides over the count & announces the results of the electoral vote
(Pranjal: Who is the Speaker of the House?)
(Sophie: Who is the leader of the Senate?)
(Alex: Give me more than that.)
(Sophie: The Senate leader?)

JEWISH HISTORY $1600: During the Civil War this lawyer from Louisiana served as attorney general & sec. of state for the Confederacy

JEWISH HISTORY $2000: The Baal Shem Tov was the 18th century founder of this movement known for wearing black hats
(Pranjal: What is Orthodox?)

THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE $400: Electoral maps from these 2 years are seen here--what some called "Mr. Wilson's war" was in between
(Pranjal: What are 1914 and 1918?)
(Sophie: What are 1910 and 1914?)
(Pranjal: Oh, God, I'm an idiot.)
(Alex: No, you're not an idiot, Pranjal, not at all. Pick again.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Pranjal: $16,000 (lock game)
Conor: $7,800
Sophie: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMMUNICATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Pranjal: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Conor: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Sophie: You've no hope of catching up... unless Conor does something stupid. So risk $799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1978 presidential statement recognized October 4 as a day celebrating this communication system

FINAL SCORES
Sophie: $800 - $799 = $1 (What is the teepve telephone? inter) (3rd place)
Conor: $7,800 - $100 = $7,700 (What is the Postal Service) (2nd place)
Pranjal: $16,000 - $321 = $15,679 (What is radio?) (25911-day champion: $15,679)
(Alex: [To Sophie] She wrote down initially "What is the telephone?" and was looking to write "internet" and then came up with--is that "TV"?)
(Sophie: Back to the telephone.)
(Alex: [To Pranjal] "10-4, 10-4!" I understand.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Pranjal: $13,800, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 8 W
Conor: $7,800, 11 R, 1 W
Sophie: $5,600, 13 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $27,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Pranjal: 23/60 = .383
Sophie: 13/59 = .220
Conor: 11/58 = .190
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OUR GREAT COUNTRY $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from a USPS distribution center in Chicago, IL.) The Postal Service moves mail by planes, trains, trucks, cars, feet & many other methods, including by mule train down an eight-mile trail to a Havasupai Indian community at the bottom of this location

DRAW YOUR "GUN" $1000: This word for the upper edges of the sides of a boat isn't pronounced as it looks
(Pranjal: What is a "GUN-whale"?)
(Alex: Yeah, it's pronounced "GUN-ell".)
(Pranjal: "GUN-ell"?)
(Alex: Yes, it's spelled "GUN-whale", yes.)

TV WHO SAID IT? $800: On "Parks & Recreation":
"Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have"
(Alex: [Laughing] Yes, that's a funny line.)

MEN OF NOTE $1000: Known as "Mr. Republican", this son of William Howard Taft lacked both the mustache & the presidency

BEVERAGE BRANDS $1000: This brand known for its applesauce & apple juice dates back to a guy named Samuel who sold apple cider back in 1842
(Conor: Who is Mott? [*]?)

MEN OF NOTE $200: The Showa period in Japan ended with this emperor's death in 1989

WOMEN OF NOTE $800: Here's "Something To Talk About"; this redhead entered the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2000, in the "Nick Of Time"
(Pranjal: Who is Stevie Nicks?)

TREES $1200: As seen here, this type of oak is stripped for use by wineries, but the bark regrows in a few years

THAT'S A REAL HORROR STORY $800: This character says, "Billy thinks he wants to change. He's making himself a girl suit out of real girls"
(Pranjal: Who is Buffalo Bill?)

TREES $400: Native Americans used the white, waterproof bark of the paper type of this for roofing & canoes
(Pranjal: What is beech?)
(Conor: What is elm?)
(Alex: [*] is the tree, with less than a minute now.)

THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE $800: Under the 23rd Amendment, it's allocated 3 electoral votes & treated like a state
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Canada Dry
yeoman service
Virginia
Sue Sylvester
Waikiki
a petty officer
December
evergreen
Aretha Franklin
the vice president of the United States
Judah P. Benjamin
the Hasidic movement
1916 & 1920
CB radio
the Grand Canyon
a gunwale
Swanson
Robert Taft
Mott's
Hirohito
Bonnie Raitt
cork
Hannibal Lecter
birch
the District of Columbia
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMMUNICATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1978 presidential statement recognized October 4 as a day celebrating this communication system

Pranjal Vachaspati: 16000-321=15679 (2X = $41,589)
Sophie Carrell: 800-799=1
Conor Lastowka: 7800-100=7700

Correct response:
Spoiler
CB radio (Pranjal – radio) (Sophie – telephone inter telephone) (Conor – postal service)

Daily Doubles
Pranjal: 1000+1000
Pranjal: 9000+3000
Sophie: 4800-4800

Coryats
Pranjal: 13800
Sophie: 5600
Conor: 7800

Combined: 27,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm guessing that was a tough FJ for people who don't remember 1976. (I'm pretty sure that by 1978 CB Radio had peaked, at least as a phenomenon in the public imagination. Carter declaring a special day just confirmed that it wasn't cool anymore. Kind of like when Bush Sr. used "Not" to negate his previous sentence.)

Aside from the toughness, I think this was a really good FJ. I had time to inspect the whole thing, zero in on October 4 as the likely TOM, and play around with that date until it coughed up a form that made me say "Aha!"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:I'm guessing that was a tough FJ for people who don't remember 1976. (I'm pretty sure that by 1978 CB Radio had peaked, at least as a phenomenon in the public imagination. Carter declaring a special day just confirmed that it wasn't cool anymore. Kind of like when Bush Sr. used "Not" to negate his previous sentence.)

Aside from the toughness, I think this was a really good FJ. I had time to inspect the whole thing, zero in on October 4 as the likely TOM, and play around with that date until it coughed up a form that made me say "Aha!"
I guess I'm "of that age". This was an instaget and I'm a bit surprised it was a TS.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I got as far as Pranjal did. What kind of radio? Had NFI. I've heard 10-4 so many places that I have no idea where it originated. So much for that FJ streak.

This would be the spot where I criticize Conor for those terrible guesses that ended up getting him locked out, but with the TS it didn't matter. Hats off to Sophie for going TDD at least. My screams of 'evergreen!' didn't travel back in time.
thethirdmoose
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by thethirdmoose »

I got the 10-4 connection, and I knew it was person-to-person radio, like walkie talkies and such - I thought about putting CB but I figured 10-4 was used beyond that. I always think of police officers on the radio when I hear it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I'm guessing that was a tough FJ for people who don't remember 1976. (I'm pretty sure that by 1978 CB Radio had peaked, at least as a phenomenon in the public imagination. Carter declaring a special day just confirmed that it wasn't cool anymore. Kind of like when Bush Sr. used "Not" to negate his previous sentence.)

I guess I'm "of that age". This was an instaget and I'm a bit surprised it was a TS.
I'm about your age and the 10-4 just didn't click for me and said Morse Code.

I liked the lady in the middle's Hail Mary DD bet and was glad she snagged the last clue to make the final round.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats, Pranjal, on your second win. I had 43 correct responses including these triple stumpers: yeoman, Waikiki, petty officer, Aretha Franklin, and Vice President of the U.S. I also got the missed DD of evergreen, and I got FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:

I'm about your age and the 10-4 just didn't click for me and said Morse Code.
Same for me also. I had no clue and wouldn't have thought of something outdated by today.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

As a Michigander, it was very hard for me not to knee-jerk Vernor's when spotted "ginger ale". Also, Canada Dry is the weakest ginger ale ever. I've had 7-up with more kick.

Mott's was my only miss in the drink category.

What makes that "Bacon and eggs" line funny?

WLT Hirohito at $200?

Sailing was a tough category. You might say I was entirely... at sea.

0/5 in Women of Note. I knew the names, but nothing about them.

I drink coffee all the time but have NHO robusta.

Cork is a type of oak?!

Senate Leader BMSes to Vice President?!

How did birch get two negs?

No guess on FJ! I dismissed the date right away as irrelevant to the clue. Funny how it's always the one element I tune out that ends up being the TOM. And I've actually used a CB radio too (I used to play with my dad's when he was a trucker).
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Judges: ham radio?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

xxaaaxx wrote:My screams of 'evergreen!' didn't travel back in time.
Can someone post that DD clue? I had a hard time parsing the clue in real time for some reason.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I'm in tph camp today. NHO CB radio.. totally lost on FJ.
All that jumping around..it's hard to keep up. Also, I still am not sure what the "flip ..." Category was.. what was that?
I said Billie Holiday since "day" was in quotes...ouch.
Congrats to Pranjal. Looking good.. will all those negs catch up?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Senate Leader BMSes to Vice President?!
The VP is the President of the Senate, so, yeah, it could.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

9021amyers wrote:Judges: ham radio?
I said shortwave radio, but I ruled myself wrong after reading this (which also mentions ham radio): https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 051AA9Rd2l.

The Jeopardy Fan has the text of President Carter's statement, which refers specifically to CB radio ("This year marks the 20th anniversary of Citizens Band radio, etc.").
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

skullturf wrote:
Can someone post that DD clue? I had a hard time parsing the clue in real time for some reason.
Low five.

After evergreen was given, I noticed that the name given had "semper" -- missed that connection.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

doihavetoreally wrote:All that jumping around..it's hard to keep up. Also, I still am not sure what the "flip ..." Category was.. what was that?
Words that are homophones but have two letters flipped between them, such as mantel/mantle.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

If Pranjal was going for Spock, he missed; if he was going for Mork, he needs to turn that sideways.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

skullturf wrote:
Me too, though I ended up getting there.

FOUND IN THE SCIENTIFIC NAME OF THE REDWOODS,
SEMPERVIRENS IS LATIN FOR THIS TYPE OF TREE