LL70: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL70: For the LLamas

Post by jjwaymee »

Twin losses of 4(4) - 6(5). I had the rotten luck of drawing opponents who have lifetime percentages in math of .917 and 1.000 (on 43 questions!). Nicely done, Plasticene.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

ron wrote: That's a great guess. I guessed Saul Bass. I still don't know how it's associated with Van Halen.
I missed this one, but you can see the connection by googling"Eddie Van Halen guitar".
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I only got 3 and was sure I was screwed, but I ended up winning by forfeit. A win's a win, I guess.

I thought the Van Halen question was asking about guitar brands, so I put Fender.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

A bad enough day that had it been live the board would have been dragging my name through the mud. 2 right and so lost on the others, I made 3 BWA attempts. Oh well, still 24 days to make up for it.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jfrumkin wrote:A bad enough day that had it been live the board would have been dragging my name through the mud. 2 right and so lost on the others, I made 3 BWA attempts. Oh well, still 24 days to make up for it.
Almost identical for me, though I had 2 or 3 MCWAs instead of BWAs. I had no chance on 3 of those.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

boson wrote:
ron wrote: That's a great guess. I guessed Saul Bass. I still don't know how it's associated with Van Halen.
I missed this one, but you can see the connection by googling"Eddie Van Halen guitar".
It also helps if, like me, you've seen this album cover before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_ ... n_album%29

I also thought of Jack White, as seaborgium did.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was floored when I saw the get rate for the Van Halen question. I was discussing it with another Llama who pointed out it's probably a very easy question for a pretty narrow age demographic (say 40-50), but pretty difficult for anyone else. I guess Eddie's "Frankenstrat" guitar paint job isn't as well-known as I thought it was! This question probably cost me the match, too, since I went down 4(6)-4(4).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, with 3 questions yesterday having get rates below 30, it was a pretty hard start to the season. That's just plain evil, Thorsten.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:4(6)-4(4).
Neat trick, that. :lol:
arekp01
Contributor

Post by arekp01 »

The perpetual struggle of not understanding the status of Hong Kong continues to haunt...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My de facto strategy of "just answer more questions correctly" is so far paying off!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

boson wrote:
Seeking long-festering revenge in the Rundle in the Jundle for TWO losses to boson in our rookie season, I felt for sure after I submitted my answers that I was going to get slammed once again. 1(2)-4(4) was not as bad as I was expecting, but then to see that if I had only been able to come up with the mnemonic, we could have tied only raises my ire for our next match. I vaguely recognized it, in particular the alcoholic phrase, and simmered all day on before submitting a periodic table wag. I shall avenge!

Maybe I can take out my wrath on the other half of the JBoard power couple today. <muahahahaha....>
Sheepin' it real.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

There's a mnemonic thread on there with the Q1 phrase. I just didn't remember it being there; probably because I already know the numbers.

I figured this one out by thinking about the categories of the other questions, then realized what this was.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote:There's a mnemonic thread on there with the Q1 phrase. I just didn't remember it being there; probably because I already know the numbers.

I figured this one out by thinking about the categories of the other questions, then realized what this was.
That mnemonic wasn't posted until this morning. Fooled me too.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

dhkendall wrote:
ron wrote:AndrewsR in R Pacific Div 2 here. Are spoilers OK in this thread?
You shall not use a spoiler box
You shan't comment on Google Docs
You shall not comment here nor there
You shall not comment anywhere
No current match talk, AndrewsR
Wait till the scores get posted thar.
:::applauding:::

One of my friends had Van Halen when I was in college, so it only took me a couple of seconds to get that question.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

jjwaymee wrote:Twin losses of 4(4) - 6(5). I had the rotten luck of drawing opponents who have lifetime percentages in math of .917 and 1.000 (on 43 questions!). Nicely done, Plasticene.
Thank you! I'm pretty proud of that math record--Question 1 could easily have broken my streak, since it's not obviously about math at all. There was a similar question a few seasons ago, but it was a lot more explicit:
http://www.learnedleague.com/question.php?58&18&3 wrote:To disrupt a playroom is commonly a practice of children -- this is a mnemonic used to aid in the memorization of what number?
I think if I had treated the guitar question with as much patience as I did the "ends with g" question, I might have gotten it right, since I would have eventually thought of Eddie Van Halen and wouldn't have had a better guess.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I feel like it's easier to just memorize the first 15 digits of pi rather than trying to memorize that mnemonic. Even if you can remember the mnemonic you'd need to count the number of letters in each word. Not worth it!
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I feel like it's easier to just memorize the first 15 digits of pi rather than trying to memorize that mnemonic. Even if you can remember the mnemonic you'd need to count the number of letters in each word. Not worth it!
This^ It never occurred to me that such a mnemonic would be even remotely useful.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I agree that it's not useful as a mnemonic, but as a math teacher I definitely run a piem (pi poem) contest on 3/14 and the students compete to see who can come up with the longest.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

plasticene wrote:Thank you! I'm pretty proud of that math record--Question 1 could easily have broken my streak, since it's not obviously about math at all.
Yeah, I hate taking a ding against my math record for something that isn't a math question.