Roger Craig's Jeopardy! study program

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Roger Craig's Jeopardy! study program

Post by RCraig »

In the shameless self-promotion department:
I gave this talk back in August and I'm pretty sure it will be posted here sooner or later. I think many of you will find it interesting. Part of it was also mentioned in Stephen Baker's Final Jeopardy!
http://quantifiedself.com/2011/09/roger ... -tracking/

If you're interested in updates, potential beta testing, etc. it's best to follow me on one of the following:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rogcraig
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/104672888442808263718/posts
Facebook fan page (sorry for the obnoxious name, I didn't make it): http://www.facebook.com/Roger.Craig.Jeopardy.Rockstar
boson
Trivial

Re: Roger Craig's Jeopardy! study program

Post by boson »

This is truly amazing Roger - I'm blown away. And I don't think you will have to rely on shameless self-promotion: the success is obvious, and heavily promoted by Sony!

I hope you commercialize this and make a bundle. Reading between the lines in your posts, that sounds like it is underway. Sign me up as a customer or beta tester!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote:I hope you commercialize this and make a bundle. Reading between the lines in your posts, that sounds like it is underway. Sign me up as a customer or beta tester!
It really only does any good if you have at least more than one of them. Sign *me* up as the person who will make you money at it by being more than one of them. :D
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Interesting talk -- thanks for posting the link to the video!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

ABC News coverage.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/ ... h-web-app/
In a talk at New York University, he said he went to a website called J! Archive, where fans have diligently recorded the clues on the show, game after game. He said the questions really aren’t random when you put them through a computer.
“A lot of people will say, ‘Oh, “Jeopardy” asks about anything,’ but it really doesn’t,” he said in the NYU talk, posted on Vimeo. “It comes back to capitals, presidents, Shakespeare, and there are hundreds of other categories, but it will never ask really obscure things in an obscure field.”
Watch him in action. It’s no accident that he boned up on English literature or the languages of small countries before playing.

Craig has publicly said he’d like to reconfigure his app as an educational tool, though not with questions from “Jeopardy!” He said he plans to give some of his winnings to Virginia Tech and the University of Delaware, where he studied.
He appears on the game show’s website, smiling with Alex Trebek and admitting that while he wasn’t surprised he won, he is a bit surprised at his new fame: “I was a little naïve about the power of television when I first was on.”
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

Eh, I dunno. Lots of people on these boards have told me it's impossible to prepare for Jeopardy...

:lol:
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

MFalk wrote:Eh, I dunno. Lots of people on these boards have told me it's impossible to prepare for Jeopardy...

:lol:
My professor I've mentioned, Season 14 champ Betty Altruda, said similar vibes. (Just keep up on some topics.)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
rhamm
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by rhamm »

While Roger Craig's study program may have been a huge help in seasons 1-27, I don't think it would be of much use this season. The writers seem to have been instructed to write clues about subjects that rarely, if ever, appear in the Jeopardy! archive. The categories this year are very different than in the past. Or is it just my imagination?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

rhamm wrote:While Roger Craig's study program may have been a huge help in seasons 1-27, I don't think it would be of much use this season. The writers seem to have been instructed to write clues about subjects that rarely, if ever, appear in the Jeopardy! archive. The categories this year are very different than in the past. Or is it just my imagination?
It's your imagination. The category names themselves might be different, but the content is the same.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

And video of ABC interview:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/taking- ... y-14988565

The way the interview words it (and sincere apologies, off the hop, for comparing a nice guy like Roger with a, let's say, more infamous game show contestant) it reminded me a bit of Michael Larson's infamous strategy to win on Press Your Luck, knowing the "patterns" specifically, but also knowing what comes up a lot. I do like Roger's (as opposed to Micheal's) strategy of getting everyone's attention then openly telling everyone how they can do the same thing. I feel I've learned a lot from what Roger has said, on here, FB, and the media, and I'm sure that's his intent all along.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

Nice piece about Roger's success, and his strategy, in today's Toronto Star:

http://www.toronto.com/article/704723

And a shout-out to Canada at the end. We know that you would have run the Canadian History category from quarterfinal 3.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

I got a link to a montage of Roger's DD wagers from my ISP's homepage, and that was not specifically tailored to my cookies but rather a general interest piece . I can't find the link now, but essentially it boiled down to "The Gutsiest 60 Seconds in Jeopardy! History."

And then I read on other fan forums that the following day's DD wagers were boring and wimpy and whatnotall. Since I was responsible for 2/3 of said DDs I felt kind of bad until I remembered:

The Gutsiest 60 Seconds in Jeopardy! History. No way, no how could I have followed Roger's act with anything but craven cowardice. The DVR gives the proof: Deer+Headlights=Emily's Second DD. And this is (partly) why Roger is a ToC and I'm a one-and-done.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

vellore wrote:Nice piece about Roger's success, and his strategy, in today's Toronto Star:

And a shout-out to Canada at the end. We know that you would have run the Canadian History category from quarterfinal 3.
So if there are a "disproportionate" number of Canadian J! fans, why are there so "disproportionately few" Canadian contestants? (None so far this season, I believe). Appearance the Canadians! (Half-kidding)

Great talk, Roger, fascinating stuff.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
vellore wrote:Nice piece about Roger's success, and his strategy, in today's Toronto Star:

So if there are a "disproportionate" number of Canadian J! fans, why are there so "disproportionately few" Canadian contestants? (None so far this season, I believe). Appearance the Canadians! (Half-kidding)

From your mouth to TPTB's ears! Hopefully there's Canadian-friendly questions on this year's test (especially the Western one (the one I will probably be taking, since I'm always busy on the day of the Central one)

code65536
Contributor

Post by code65536 »

While listening to NPR in the car today:
http://www.npr.org/2011/11/20/142569472 ... h-jeopardy
dekim
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by dekim »

Fascinating Video Roger! I'd love to throw my name out there for beta testing. In fact any way I can help please count me in!

You deserve to make a boat load of cash on this and I'm sure you will. I honestly think your software will lead to a spike in not only in greater Jeopardy purses, though it will, but also in education. I don't think it can be overstated as to the applications this can lead to. To statistically see one's blind spots in this manner is a true break thru. I hope you consider me for the Beta round I'd love to be involved. Good luck!
DDG
Contributor

Post by DDG »

Relatively new to the JBoard and visiting this thread for the first time, looking to supplement my study regime. Roger -- wondering whether you still have plans to make public and/or commercialize your program?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Turd Ferguson wrote:

Actually, I can think of two this season. There may be more.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

bpmod wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote: So if there are a "disproportionate" number of Canadian J! fans, why are there so "disproportionately few" Canadian contestants? (None so far this season, I believe).
Actually, I can think of two this season. There may be more.
There was one during my taping session, so at least one upcoming...

adh
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

kickerofelves wrote:
bpmod wrote:Actually, I can think of two this season. There may be more.
There was one during my taping session, so at least one upcoming...

adh
And I meant to say 'so far'. I have no idea how many might be coming up. :D

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.