Thursday, September 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Thursday, September 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph »

dhkendall wrote:
harrumph wrote:What is the full story on the Canadian eligibility issue discussed in one of the interviews?
Basically, they couldn't allow Canadians to take the last test due to changes in Canada's privacy laws that were enacted since the penultimate test (late summer/early fall 2015 I think). After legal wrangling, they were able to modify their privacy agreement to comply with Canadian law. (There's a link to the new "Canadian-specific" parts of the privacy notice on the online test, I won't bother looking up the URL because I should have gone to bed two hours ago (and have to get up in five), but either someone here will link to them or you can find them yourself). And there was much rejoicing. (In Canada).
How did these privacy laws affect It? - It's not like the results are not publicly disclosed.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

harrumph wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
harrumph wrote:What is the full story on the Canadian eligibility issue discussed in one of the interviews?
Basically, they couldn't allow Canadians to take the last test due to changes in Canada's privacy laws that were enacted since the penultimate test (late summer/early fall 2015 I think). After legal wrangling, they were able to modify their privacy agreement to comply with Canadian law. (There's a link to the new "Canadian-specific" parts of the privacy notice on the online test, I won't bother looking up the URL because I should have gone to bed two hours ago (and have to get up in five), but either someone here will link to them or you can find them yourself). And there was much rejoicing. (In Canada).
How did these privacy laws affect It? - It's not like the results are not publicly disclosed.
None of the news items referencing the matter explained it, and I have not read the privacy notice referred to by dhkendall. However, the new(ish) privacy legislation requires, among other things, that companies must ask for an opt-in to communication, not an opt-out. In other words, your company cannot send me emails unless I specifically agree to receive them. And I must be given a way to opt out of these emails in every communication received.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

harrumph wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
The link (which I'll try to find later to post here) is just to the Canadian part of the fine print so one can assume that before the fine print was the same for both as there wasn't a special Canafian section before.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF

Post by BobF »

I was thinking to myself "Hmm, Opera, I'd have to bet the minimum on this one." But just before commercial break ended I thought "I'll bet it's an easy one."

Thank God for Pavlovs!

It's a small sample size because I've only watched a few shows this season so far, but has anybody besides me done a lot better in the DJ round than the J round?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Opus is only being humorous playing off the usual way such remarks go about women champs. Trust me that his remark was not one to be taken seriously. A good rule of thumb is to give wider slack to those who joined in the summer of 2011.
Also, it's a good idea not to take anything I say seriously. I mean that.

(NOTE: Author assumes no responsibility for cognitive loops. Find your own way out.)
Why do I suddenly feel like I'm riding on the MTA?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

OSXpert wrote:Sad about the math category, and I also would like to know what Alex wanted besides fine print.

I cringed when Opera came us a category, but that one was lobbed right down the middle for us.
Yep, there are a few operas that, even if you don't know opera and haven't heard an aria outside of a Looney Tune short, are pretty "mainstream." Opera + anything Egyptian = Aida. (There is an "Anthony and Cleopatra" opera written by Samuel Barber in the 1960s, but that's not exactly a mainstream opera - in fact, if it were a musical, you'd call it a flop -- so stick with the basic Pavlov on this one.)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dhkendall wrote:
harrumph wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
The link (which I'll try to find later to post here) is just to the Canadian part of the fine print so one can assume that before the fine print was the same for both as there wasn't a special Canafian section before.
I suspect it has more to do with what Sony does with your name, email address, etc. after you take the test. Like fill your mailbox with spam for offers from Sony-related products.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BobF wrote: It's a small sample size because I've only watched a few shows this season so far, but has anybody besides me done a lot better in the DJ round than the J round?
My correct clues differential in the DJ! round vs. J! round:
+1
+9
even
+3
+2
+1
+6

The J! round tends to have more cutesy while the DJ! round tends to have more core.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Also, it's a good idea not to take anything I say seriously. I mean that.
^ This. Very this.
BobF

Post by BobF »

MarkBarrett wrote:
BobF wrote: It's a small sample size because I've only watched a few shows this season so far, but has anybody besides me done a lot better in the DJ round than the J round?
My correct clues differential in the DJ! round vs. J! round:
+1
+9
even
+3
+2
+1
+6

The J! round tends to have more cutesy while the DJ! round tends to have more core.
Good explanation. I know one category I completely bombed at was the Clooney films one. O Brother was the only one I knew.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: Also, it's a good idea not to take anything I say seriously. I mean that.
^ This. Very this.
Opusthepenguin. Not to be taken internally.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OSXpert wrote:Sad about the math category, and I also would like to know what Alex wanted besides fine print.

I cringed when Opera came us a category, but that one was lobbed right down the middle for us.
Yep, there are a few operas that, even if you don't know opera and haven't heard an aria outside of a Looney Tune short, are pretty "mainstream." Opera + anything Egyptian = Aida. (There is an "Anthony and Cleopatra" opera written by Samuel Barber in the 1960s, but that's not exactly a mainstream opera - in fact, if it were a musical, you'd call it a flop -- so stick with the basic Pavlov on this one.)
There are a few categories that J! knows are "the dreaded" so they keep it simple on those. Canada is another one.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote: There are a few categories that J! knows are "the dreaded" so they keep it simple on those. Canada is another one.
Simple?!?! How can we be expected to know which city's residents are called Moose Javians, or which province is ___ and Labrador, or the capital of BC, or where Banff is? Canadiana is hard!

Honestly, I'd sooner bet on them knowing Zimbabwe's capital than PEI's.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

IronNeck wrote:
Armandillo wrote:My 2 cents, and I hate to be a negative Nellie but I am VERY unimpressed with Seth.

*His wagers are too conservative. Either he doesn't trust his knowledge or he's not brave?

*He makes some silly answers on questions (like Maya instead of Aztec).

*He doesn't seem to know basic "trivia staples" like AIDA and jamb.

I'm sure many of you will disagree, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.
I partially agree. I think Seth is a credible, decent champion with good overall knowledge and outstanding buzzer reactions. (He is constantly beating rivals on the buzzer if you watch their motions) However, he has some definite holes in his trivia game, surprisingly so for a likely ToC entrant.

His wagering has been sub-optimal during most of his run, yes, but it was fine tonight. He actually went for the true DD during the first board despite a big lead (something he didn't do during his first appearance, which almost cost him the game) and when you have a monster lead, that's the one situation where conservative DD bets make perfect sense.

Also, I think part of his success comes down to a weaker than average collection of contestants during the first 9 episodes of the season.

I agree that Im a little surprised that Seth missed the FJ! clue being a theater PHD student, but it could have been a case of over analyzing. But Aida was a definite instaget for me, and I was pretty happy with the categories, there were a couple I should have gotten, but if they finished that math category i would broke 30 correct questions, but i guess i have to settle with 29W.

But all in all I think Seth is a good champ and will win again tonight and solidify his place in the TOC. I still feel if he does, and all others stay constant, he would have a good chance at winning the TOC, I still feel Hunter is the guy to beat so far because I'm not fully sold on Buzzy. He had a nice run yes but he lucked into many of those close wins. Seth has this week showed a strong knowledge base and cruised for the most part in J! and DJ! in most of his games, but just couldn't make them runaways until last night.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

oduguy22 wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
Armandillo wrote:My 2 cents, and I hate to be a negative Nellie but I am VERY unimpressed with Seth.

*His wagers are too conservative. Either he doesn't trust his knowledge or he's not brave?

*He makes some silly answers on questions (like Maya instead of Aztec).

*He doesn't seem to know basic "trivia staples" like AIDA and jamb.

I'm sure many of you will disagree, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.
I partially agree. I think Seth is a credible, decent champion with good overall knowledge and outstanding buzzer reactions. (He is constantly beating rivals on the buzzer if you watch their motions) However, he has some definite holes in his trivia game, surprisingly so for a likely ToC entrant.

His wagering has been sub-optimal during most of his run, yes, but it was fine tonight. He actually went for the true DD during the first board despite a big lead (something he didn't do during his first appearance, which almost cost him the game) and when you have a monster lead, that's the one situation where conservative DD bets make perfect sense.

Also, I think part of his success comes down to a weaker than average collection of contestants during the first 9 episodes of the season.

I agree that Im a little surprised that Seth missed the FJ! clue being a theater PHD student, but it could have been a case of over analyzing. But Aida was a definite instaget for me, and I was pretty happy with the categories, there were a couple I should have gotten, but if they finished that math category i would broke 30 correct questions, but i guess i have to settle with 29W.

But all in all I think Seth is a good champ and will win again tonight and solidify his place in the TOC. I still feel if he does, and all others stay constant, he would have a good chance at winning the TOC, I still feel Hunter is the guy to beat so far because I'm not fully sold on Buzzy. He had a nice run yes but he lucked into many of those close wins. Seth has this week showed a strong knowledge base and cruised for the most part in J! and DJ! in most of his games, but just couldn't make them runaways until last night.
To be fair my major was theatre and it's one of my worst categories in LL and J!

However I didn't get a PhD (just a BA), I graduated over 20 years ago, and I have zero interest in a theatre related job now. University just showed me that I picked the wrong major.

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

oduguy22 wrote: I still feel if he does, and all others stay constant, he would have a good chance at winning the TOC, I still feel Hunter is the guy to beat so far because I'm not fully sold on Buzzy. He had a nice run yes but he lucked into many of those close wins. Seth has this week showed a strong knowledge base and cruised for the most part in J! and DJ! in most of his games, but just couldn't make them runaways until last night.
I know the tournament is in the future, but while I respect Seth as a very good player and worthy champion, I think he gets stomped by at least 5 people in the TOC. (Tim Kutz is the 4-win champion who does that) And that very much includes Buzzy, who, while never dominant in any subject, displayed a tremendous breadth of knowledge and phenomenal stamina.

This is, of course, assuming that Seth doesn't noticeably improve between his initial run and ToC appearance. Which is possible, as Alex Jacob showed.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

IronNeck wrote:
oduguy22 wrote: I still feel if he does, and all others stay constant, he would have a good chance at winning the TOC, I still feel Hunter is the guy to beat so far because I'm not fully sold on Buzzy. He had a nice run yes but he lucked into many of those close wins. Seth has this week showed a strong knowledge base and cruised for the most part in J! and DJ! in most of his games, but just couldn't make them runaways until last night.
I know the tournament is in the future, but while I respect Seth as a very good player and worthy champion, I think he gets stomped by at least 5 people in the TOC. (Tim Kutz is the 4-win champion who does that) And that very much includes Buzzy, who, while never dominant in any subject, displayed a tremendous breadth of knowledge and phenomenal stamina.

This is, of course, assuming that Seth doesn't noticeably improve between his initial run and ToC appearance. Which is possible, as Alex Jacob showed.
Alex Jacob was a dominant player in his regular season run.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

harrumph wrote:
IronNeck wrote:

Alex Jacob was a dominant player in his regular season run.
Absolutely. He was even dominant in his loss in Game 7 of his run, losing only in FJ when he went the wrong way on a 50/50/90.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

dhkendall wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Same FJ! category and response as 7/15/13.
Wow. How do you watch games this early?
Pretty much most of the Midwest gets J! quite early (I get it at 4:30 Central time), it's not a 7:00 show for us because in the Central time zone prime time goes from 7-10 instead of 8-11. I gather from Carpe Diem's location that he's in Illinois, which is part of the late afternoon club.
One of those assumptions is correct. ;)
Last edited by Carpe Diem on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote:Absolutely. He was even dominant in his loss in Game 7 of his run, losing only in FJ when he went the wrong way on a 50/50/90.
Explain 50/50/90 to me. I understand in general but am confused about the numbers.