Wednesday, October 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alan tiger »

anyone who has known me in the last 40 years, knows that i am an aficionado of scotch, particularly single malt scotch whisky (sic) from the highlands.
i *loved* the scotch category, and silently congratulated alex when he correctly pronounced glen - mor' - an - gie !
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Missed all of the single Jeopardy board and half of the double Jeopardy board because I was out. Anyone have a link they can PM me?

As for the portion of the game I did see, I don't mind Seth's FJ wager. Yeah, the FJ turned out to be childishly simple and he was probably kicking himself as soon as he saw it, but "The Economy" is a broad category with many potentially tricky clues.

The new champion's luck on FJ wagering obscured what was an awful, potentially game-losing DD wager.

With $11k and Seth at $17k, she bet $6k on a DD. Why?! If she gets it wrong, she is as lost at $5k as she is at 0. And tying with Seth, there is a good chance he will outplay her and still end up with the lead going into FJ, which is exactly what happened.
xxaaaxx wrote:
Also, Yerevan, a TS. World capitals, people. World capitals. That wasn't even an exotic one.
Yeah, that was jaw-dropping.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And ahem ... Laura Linney is a fellow alum of mine, albeit a few years behind me. (We also have a new Nobel laureate in Physics as of this week as well.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Poll request for Dierks Bentley, as usual with country TSes.
How was anyone supposed to get that C-list singer? Some song no one has ever heard of and he looks like every other country singer. :) You already asked me to poll that food thingie from Monday, so I may have to pick one or the other on Saturday to spread the wealth.

No love for The Bungalow Mystery, the third book? Previous clues about Nancy Drew have used books 1, 2, and 5 to go with #4 coming up tonight. Someone on the staff must have read them back in the day.

How did Seth lose thee (the game)? Let me count the ways.

1. Not actively seeking or finding the last DD
2. Eric not finding the last DD
3. Margie finding the last DD
4. Margie being correct on the last DD
5. Not betting for the win
6. Margie solving the FJ! clue

I came up with a 4-word guess for the FJ! clue just to answer hbomb's what else could it be?

Federal Insurance Deposit Corporation

I knew it had no chance of being correct, but there was no way I was going to get the correct response without multiple choice. I've heard of too big to fail, but I don't pay enough attention to the right things to get it.

5/5 in ALLITERATIVE TV ACTRESSES is more my speed.:)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

IronNeck wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: Also, Yerevan, a TS. World capitals, people. World capitals. That wasn't even an exotic one.
I couldn't believe none of them rang in on "Trinity"
Easy money.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

She wagers multi-horribly and defeats a superchamp. It happens.

I'm thinking TPH should only be allowed to post once and once only in each game thread. He can pose his questions and if others wish to answer them they will.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Golf wrote:She wagers multi-horribly and defeats a superchamp. It happens.

I'm thinking TPH should only be allowed to post once and once only in each game thread. He can pose his questions and if others wish to answer them they will.
It would help if everyone would just stop talking to TPH in the daily threads. The ignore function would have much more value that way.

And, yeah, her DD bet was absurd.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:How was anyone supposed to get that C-list singer? Some song no one has ever heard of and he looks like every other country singer. :)
See, I expect people NOT to know country singers unless they cross over a lot, or are hyper-popular like Garth Brooks. It's always been a fairly insular genre. I would expect people not to know who Dierks Bentley is unless they actively listen to the genre.

With actors though, especially ones in both movies and TV, there are lots of ways to be exposed to them. Looking at Laura's profile, it seems that she got one of her awards for:
1.) A very obscure film that has a two-sentence article on Wikipedia, and doesn't even have a Rotten Tomatoes percentage because only one of their critics to review it.
2.) A little-known character in the very last season of Frasier who was only in a handful of episodes
3.)Abigail Adams in a John Adams miniseries

Outside The Big C, all of her roles seem to be tertiary characters, or only in a couple episodes. Lots of roles, yes, but none were "big", and none seemed to be primary characters either. Exactly what should I know her for?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

bomtr wrote:It would help if everyone would just stop talking to TPH in the daily threads. The ignore function would have much more value that way.
A million times this.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Category 13 wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: Also, Yerevan, a TS. World capitals, people. World capitals. That wasn't even an exotic one.
I couldn't believe none of them rang in on "Trinity"
Easy money.
I was trying to figure out how White Sands was a reference to Christianity. :oops:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Robert K S wrote:
bomtr wrote:It would help if everyone would just stop talking to TPH in the daily threads. The ignore function would have much more value that way.
A million times this.
You hated my guts long before I ever joined this forum.
jjman920

Post by jjman920 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Outside The Big C, all of her roles seem to be tertiary characters, or only in a couple episodes. Lots of roles, yes, but none were "big", and none seemed to be primary characters either. Exactly what should I know her for?
On IMDB, she has 2nd billing in both Primal Fear and The Truman Show, two rather well known movies that you can probably see rerun at some point on TNT. She was also in Mystic River, a movie that was highly acclaimed and scored two Oscars for is lead and supporting actors. She didn't win awards for those, but they certainly boosted her career greatly. She's not a superstar like Angelina Jolie, but she's not some no-name either and she was clearly recognizable as her clue was answered.

And while a show might not last long, it can certainly be highly acclaimed, which The Big C was. Not saying you SHOULD know it, it didn't come to me either, but don't shortchange the clue because you never watched any of her biggest roles.

Margie's bid wasn't great, but it was clear that she was willing to bet big. Her poor biding is completely wiped out by Seth's somewhat failure here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jjman920 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Outside The Big C, all of her roles seem to be tertiary characters, or only in a couple episodes. Lots of roles, yes, but none were "big", and none seemed to be primary characters either. Exactly what should I know her for?
On IMDB, she has 2nd billing in both Primal Fear and The Truman Show, two rather well known movies that you can probably see rerun at some point on TNT. She was also in Mystic River, a movie that was highly acclaimed and scored two Oscars for is lead and supporting actors. She didn't win awards for those, but they certainly boosted her career greatly. She's not a superstar like Angelina Jolie, but she's not some no-name either and she was clearly recognizable as her clue was answered.

And while a show might not last long, it can certainly be highly acclaimed, which The Big C was. Not saying you SHOULD know it, it didn't come to me either, but don't shortchange the clue because you never watched any of her biggest roles.
Truman Show is the only one of those movies I've ever heard of. I don't see how anyone is expected to know some show on freaking Showtime from 3 years ago. Showtime is barely a dot on the map as far as networks go.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I've never seen the Big C, and I am absolutely awful at movie categories, but that was instant for me. I know Linney from somewhere and that she's considered a top actress. The country music one, though, never even heard the name before. Instaget on FJ. I feel bad for Seth, but at least he won a ridiculous amount of money and gets to come back (or are they taping that already)?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I took a quick look at the Archive and may have missed something with quick clicks. Is the Archive current for S33 other than 9/19 DJ! round? Nice to see things caught up.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

hbomb1947 wrote:get FJ here, because WECIB?
Having lopped off "insta", I can now say "same here". But the answer phrase is an adjective and the clue phrase is a noun. Send it back for rewriting.
I'm smart and I want respect.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I usually ignore TPH's posts, but I will help him out here;
In this case, The Truman Show, one of the most iconic movies of the 90s, where Linney plays (arguably) the female lead. In the future, if you aren't sure what an actor/actress is most know for, visit their IMDB page, and they will have a list of their four most famous roles, listed as "Known For", right above a list of their credits.

In Linney's case, we get

1. The Truman Show
2. Mystic River
3. Primal Fear
4. The Exorcism of Emily Rose
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Actual footage of Keith tonight:
Spoiler
Vowela wrote:I said genuflection instead of genuflecting.
I did too. It seems to be the preferred term.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $26,600
41 R/6 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Transparency, barley, Yerevan

A lot of hate for Seth's wager here, but I find it perfectly defensible. Yes, he could have tinkered at the edges, but the bottom line was that he had to choose whether to bet on himself or bet against his opponent. It worked out for him last time. This time, not so much.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alan tiger wrote:anyone who has known me in the last 40 years, knows that i am an aficionado of scotch, particularly single malt scotch whisky (sic) from the highlands.
i *loved* the scotch category, and silently congratulated alex when he correctly pronounced glen - mor' - an - gie !
Oh, Alex seems like someone who would have scotch in his wheelhouse. (And his liquor cabinet)

Producer: OK, Alex, and for this clue, the pronunciation is a little tricky, it's pronounced ...
Alex: I don't think you know who you're talking to here, son. I've been drinking glenmorangie since before you were born.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012