Sports Jeopardy! EP. 3 (10-5-16) [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy! EP. 3 (10-5-16) [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL SPORTS JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE WORLD SERIES

FINAL SPORTS JEOPARDY! CLUE
This is the most recent National League team to win back-to-back World Series

Terry Kent: 8500-8009=491
Earl Holland: 16000-1001=14999 (1x = $5,000)
Ryan Tucker: minus 2750

Correct response:
Spoiler
Cincinnati Reds (Terry - St. Louis Cardinals) (Earl - Cardinals)
Scoreboard puzzle:
Spoiler
20 - 00
01 - 99
Hint 1:
Spoiler
NFL
Hint 2:
Spoiler
Quarterback
Hint 3:
Spoiler
20 - 00 is the year 2000 & 01 - 99 is 199th selection
Scoreboard answer (courtesy of a Matt Pahuski on The Jeopardy Fan):
Spoiler
Tom Brady was the 199th draft pick in 2000.
A second scoreboard answer from nightreign also posted on The Jeopardy Fan:
Spoiler
The 2000 Olympics had 199 nations competing.
Daily Doubles
Terry: 5000-1000
Earl: 3500+1500
Earl: 10500+1500

Coryats
Terry: 9500
Earl: 15500
Ryan: minus 2750

Combined: 22,250

Episode title: "50 Shades of Jim Gray"

That was my kind of FJ! clue as I wrote Reds instantly and spent the rest of think time making sure no NL team had done it more recently. In thirty seconds I had plenty of time to be positive it could not be the Cards, Pirates, Braves, Phillies or Dodgers. The Mets and Giants were out from the get-go as one win and even year stuff was instant.

Earl found and converted both of the DJ! round Daily Doubles and outplayed Terry once the challenger got untracked. Still, Terry had a chance to win although I predicted a missed based off the earlier in the game error of White Sox when the clue had Jerry Colangelo/2001 leading to the Diamondbacks. Reinsdorf is the Chicago Jerry and 2005 was their year.

Season 3 leaderboard:
Spoiler
Terry Kent - 3 wins & $15,000 (19250+18000+27500)
Earl Holland - 1 win & $5,000* (14999)
* still active
terrykent

Re: Sports Jeopardy! EP. 3 (10-5-16) [Spoilers]

Post by terrykent »

Full credit to Earl, he was obviously the best player on the stage. Unlike the three previous shows, I just could not find the buzzer rhythm in Double Jeopardy. Because of this, I felt like I had to venture guesses (many of which were wrong) in order to keep up. Earl was tough in rehearsal, getting the buzzer timing down immediately. Having Earl get both Daily Doubles was another nail in the coffin. I had Final Jeopardy down to either the Reds or the Cardinals. On stage, I could only trace World Series winners back to 1980, so I couldn't pin 1976 as a Reds title year. So I flipped the coin in my mind and went with the Cardinals, given their larger number of titles and the fact that I knew they won back to back in the 60s. That's how these things go, down to an either-or choice that went wrong.

Sports Jeopardy was wild fun and everyone associated with it made it that way. Good luck to Earl, long may he reign.

One more thing. It's funny, I was upset at having lost after the show taped, and for these few months waiting for air, I wondered about what could (or should) have been. But watching the episode today, it was clear that Earl was the better player. There's some comfort in knowing that you did your best, but someone was better on the day. I thought that after watching, I'd be mad or self-defeating. But instead, its been easy to let to go of losing when the better player won. I don't know if this board exists to be a contestant confessional, but there you go.
Last edited by terrykent on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Congrats to Terry on his title run and to Earl on his win. Prayers for Ryan, who is probably worried more about a hurricane headed his way right now than not getting to play FJ.

I really haven't followed baseball much the last few years but an answer about 1970s baseball was right up my alley.
Tracyhmcd
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Tracyhmcd »

Congrats Terry and best of luck to Earl. I have a question & I apologize if it's been asked or if you can't answer. They say the shows are weekly, but how long of a break do you actually get between games?
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

terrykent wrote:I had Final Jeopardy down to either the Reds or the Cardinals. On stage, I could only trace World Series winners back to 1980, so I couldn't pin 1976 as a Reds title year. So I flipped the coin in my mind and went with the Cardinals, given their larger number of titles and the fact that I knew they won back to back in the 60s.
The Cardinals appeared in back-to-back WS in the 60s, but lost to Detroit in 1968 after winning in '67.

Congratulations on your three wins - hoping to have a chance at SJ! myself some time.
terrykent

Post by terrykent »

clt013 wrote:
terrykent wrote:I had Final Jeopardy down to either the Reds or the Cardinals. On stage, I could only trace World Series winners back to 1980, so I couldn't pin 1976 as a Reds title year. So I flipped the coin in my mind and went with the Cardinals, given their larger number of titles and the fact that I knew they won back to back in the 60s.
The Cardinals appeared in back-to-back WS in the 60s, but lost to Detroit in 1968 after winning in '67.
Well that just proves that it wasn't to be. The thing I thought was a solid fact was wrong!