Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), October 6, 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), October 6, 2016

Post by 9021amyers »

goongas wrote:There was no city choice this time, they will do it by the zip code on your profile.
That explains why I don't remember, then. (They did list audition cities for the Sports Jeopardy! test last month, though.)
davey

Post by davey »

Very much comparable to Tuesday's in difficulty level. Glad I took it tonight, though I was afraid I'd wilt by 11 PM. I missed 4 or 5. The only one I'm ashamed of is not remembering Green Eggs and Ham...!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

40 or 41 here. Ended up with "Paul Kruger" as the economist.
OCSam
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Always feels worse while you're taking it live; each indecision is magnified in perceived effect. So, for real, 46 if i got enough of aphrodite after changing from athena. . Entered North America, then said, oh, shit, it's Africa, with no time to change. Had Jason Bourne on the screen, and "luckily" had time to change it to The Martian. Knew it was wrong as soon as I did it. Did not know the song; thought of 21 pilots but entered coldplay , and I thought Mies was in the clue and could not think of anything to enter and left that one blank. Now I see the reason I could not think of anything to enter.

Thanks, Jeff. Nice to score so soon after the finish.
Last edited by bomtr on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misterjay26
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by misterjay26 »

36 for me. Got a lot wrong in the beginning, then got on a little roll.
Africa came to mind first but I second-guessed and went with N America. Variable popped to mind right after the bell. Also should have gotten Bourne and oxymoron. Overall moderately easy, though I should have gotten 40.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Haha, I got 35/50. Would "misnomer" have worked for "oxymoron" on the last clue? (I counted it wrong at present)
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I played off Jeopardy's twitter video recap and got 38 or 39, so not too easy, not too hard (for me).
1981MLF
Contributor

Post by 1981MLF »

46 / 50.

Would have been 47 / 50, but blanked on the Algebra question, wrote "coefficient" knowing it was wrong. And to think, that after all of the Algebra that I use every day of my adult life! :D

Also missed Hoover, Mies and Eggers. All in all, I thought that this was easier than last year's test. I'll have to check the other two from this year to see how I would have fared.
Mr. Mastodon Farm

Post by Mr. Mastodon Farm »

Looks like 44/50 for me, if Jeff's answers are all accurate. My best score in the four or so tests I have taken, and in a year where I did almost no prep (usually I try to study a little bit beforehand). Go figure.

Now if I can just find a way to ward off the Curse of Washington DC and get an audition...
Mike Breen
Contributor

Post by Mike Breen »

My final score across the 3 days: 121/150. Happy I didn't take it tonight. Was by far my worst
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Where are the questions?
1981MLF
Contributor

Post by 1981MLF »

cf1140 wrote:Where are the questions?
Look for a link to a video in a few days, last test cycle, someone posted one that had each night's test. If you're looking for the answers, check the first page of the thread.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

cf1140 wrote:Where are the questions?
https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/784235425829232640
1981MLF
Contributor

Post by 1981MLF »

Mr. Mastodon Farm wrote:Looks like 44/50 for me, if Jeff's answers are all accurate. My best score in the four or so tests I have taken, and in a year where I did almost no prep (usually I try to study a little bit beforehand). Go figure.

Now if I can just find a way to ward off the Curse of Washington DC and get an audition...
I take it that it's tough to get an audition in DC? I'm in that region as well.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Scored 48/50 playing for real from my local McDonald's. I varied from my usual practice by clicking "enter" soon as I was sure, to give my connection less time to crap out. Sorry to have doubted you, McDonald's. Let's form a partnership.

Had One Direction in place of Twenty One Pilots (no chance there) and jugular (though I knew it was a vein. "MAD Magazine--humor in a jugular vein") in stead of carotid.

Scored about 45 both Tuesday and Wednesday playing under untestlike conditions. I feel I've got lucky in my pick of test days the last couple of times but I'd trade that in for a bit of luck in wangling an invite.
I'm smart and I want respect.
1981MLF
Contributor

Post by 1981MLF »

Lefty wrote:Scored 48/50 playing for real from my local McDonald's. I varied from my usual practice by clicking "enter" soon as I was sure, to give my connection less time to crap out. Sorry to have doubted you, McDonald's. Let's form a partnership.

Had One Direction in place of Twenty One Pilots (no chance there) and jugular (though I knew it was a vein. "MAD Magazine--humor in a jugular vein") in stead of carotid.

Scored about 45 both Tuesday and Wednesday playing under untestlike conditions. I feel I've got lucky in my pick of test days the last couple of times but I'd trade that in for a bit of luck in wangling an invite.
Well done! I personally like to get a rhythm going and let the timer expire when its ready to do so. I looked at yesterday's test and Tuesday's, and man, did I pick the right night to take it! I wouldn't have broken 35 yesterday, hell might not have broken 30. Would have gotten 41 / 50 on Tuesday's, so by choosing tonight's, I really did myself an unwitting favor.

48 is a pretty boss score, best of luck to you in getting to a regional event!
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

I got a 36 on Tuesday (taken for real), 41 on Wednesday, and a 44 today. I always pick the hardest date to take the test. Hopefully, the 36 on Tuesday will be enough.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

Oh...my...God.

It looks like I got 49 out of 50, only missing the Twenty One Pilots question. That includes a few (very) lucky guesses.

Even better, I recorded myself taking the test. So I guess I could post it to YouTube if someone doesn't believe me (I wouldn't believe me if I weren't me). Now I'm waiting to hear that someone got all 50 (Schliemann? I'm sure he got the question I missed.).

Does this mean my score is too big to fail? (Yeah, I should have quit while I was ahead.)

---Todd

CORRECTION: 48, not 49. Missed the state motto too...that's what I get for staying in the lower 48. And I still think Schliemann got them all.
Last edited by tagNV on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Got 41 out of 50, my best score for the week. (40 (and a tie for best score) if "Walden Pond" isn't accepted for #27).

Missed 8, 15, 20, 26, 31, 39, 40, 44, 49. More than half of these I NHO the correct answer (Calder's name was on the tip of my tongue, but I at least knew it wasn't Wyeth, my "have to put something" response. (I have the "have to put something" policy and still left 20, 26, 39, and 49 blank.))

Mark, I'm wondering if there will be room in the poll where one can select what test they found the hardest (or, if you wish, the easiest)? Or maybe I should create a separate one of my own? (Tomorrow night at the earliest, no time now.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Looks like I missed #4 (misread as second smallest, put Antarctica), #13 (WAG'd Mr. Ripley), and #26 (put Sia because of Thorsten) for 47/50, which might be my highest on a test that counts. I'll have to try the Tue/Wed tests soon but this one felt pretty easy. Besides misreading #4, the only near brain-fart I had was John Oliver's last name, which thankfully emerged after I typed John. I'd only watched the damn show yesterday for pity's sake. Oh, War of 1812 on #15 was a guess that hit. Thomas Friedman will not be winning a Nobel ever.

tagNV, that's a fantastic score -- congrats! bomtr, yours was all right too. Damon's Martian character is Mark Watney and another astronaut is named Beck, which isn't quite Repo Man level (the repo men were Bud, Oly, Miller, and Lite).

Best of luck to all awaiting the audition email and call.
In and out of the pool four times