Tuesday, October 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AleBelly »

IronNeck wrote:Props to Shannon for wagering properly on both DDs he got today. Huge improvement from yesterday, and it assured him of the victory. Out of the curiosity, was this conscious decision-making on your part?
The first round DD wager was a no-brainer. Here was the thinking behind the second: I nearly bet it all since I was pretty comfortable with the category. But from rehearsal and the game thus far I knew that Anne and Jeremy were good players, and if I missed the DD, I would have a really hard time catching Anne (I think she was $1400 or so behind me at the time). Also, I didn't feel doubling would really lead to a lock game. So I just tried to create some daylight between Anne and me so I would have a good chance at the lead going into FJ.

Of course, I almost blew it by that stupid neg on recession. I got beat on the buzzer for a couple $2000 clues too which could have been bad.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Curvature of the Earth had to be one of the strangest stand and stares ever. I think the contestants overthought that one!
Was the clue actually correct? I have as my desktop wallpaper a picture I took from my friend's plane while we were at an altitude somewhere between 5 & 8 thousand feet (I am guessing -- I do not actually remember even if I knew at the time). Most of the foreground is the area around east Hamilton and in the background there is a curved line where the surface of Lake Ontario meets the sky. I have always used the picture as evidence that you do not need to go very high to see the curvature of the earth. And, of course, "curvature of the earth" was my guess on the clue in spite of my misgivings.

Brian
That doesn't seem high enough. Are you sure it's the earth curving and not a result of the lens?

http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf (from http://earthscience.stackexchange.com/q ... to-the-eye )
Visual daytime observations show that the minimum altitude at which curvature of the horizon can be detected is at or slightly below 35,000 ft, providing that the field of view is wide (60°) and nearly cloud free.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Curvature of the Earth had to be one of the strangest stand and stares ever. I think the contestants overthought that one!
I sure did. I would have rung in if it was a $200 or $400 clue, but at $800 I figured there had to be a more specific name I wasn't aware of. I mean, it's a picture of a damned curve! :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AleBelly wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote: Curvature of the Earth had to be one of the strangest stand and stares ever. I think the contestants overthought that one!
I sure did. I would have rung in if it was a $200 or $400 clue, but at $800 I figured there had to be a more specific name I wasn't aware of. I mean, it's a picture of a damned curve! :lol:
Same here. I was trying to think of a scientific term.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:FJ was an instaguess. I suppose it helps to be old enough to remember "The 10,000 Year Old Man" records, which explained the Grammys, and of course the "top comedy films" also made sense. I briefly considered Woody Allen, but couldn't force the non-cinema awards for him.
The Old Man's only 2000 years old, and Brooks won only one Grammy for it. The others were for The Producers cast album and Long Form Music Video, for a documentary about the show's recording...

To the scientifically minded: Was "curve" enough? Or is "curvature" required?
I thought casters was an odd TS too...
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

davey wrote: I thought casters was an odd TS too...
Honestly...I didn't know there was a word for them other than "wheels" :oops:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote:
I think I got it in time, but only because it was a TS. That gave me an extra second to think, "I bet that's what 'casters' are." I've seen the term but never really had a precise definition in my head.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
I think I got it in time, but only because it was a TS. That gave me an extra second to think, "I bet that's what 'casters' are." I've seen the term but never really had a precise definition in my head.
Casters was an instaget for me. Something about childhood experiences playing with glass casters on the bottom of various furniture items.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:
AleBelly wrote:
Same here. I was trying to think of a scientific term.
I was trying to think of a specific layer of the atmosphere (I said "troposphere" for no good reason).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Poll request for "I negged with Taco Bell"?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,400
43 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Nez Perce, caster, Washington Irving, Dome of the Rock, Georgia Dome

It didn't occur to me until too late that "his films" will almost always mean that the person in question directed those films. That would've helped a lot. Instead, all I had was Steve Martin, which I knew had to be wrong.

I too negged with Taco Bell despite a) knowing Taco Bell's menu backwards and forwards and b) absolutely loving Del Taco (which, sadly, pulled up stakes from the DFW market several months ago). PAVLOVVVVVVVVV! I also absolutely blanked on Saudi Arabia. Not my finest half-hour.
xxaaaxx wrote:
I knew the word, but there's no way I would've come up with it in time had it not come up last week while I was helping a man from church move across town.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

At least two other contestant stories in the last decade have been about geocaching... you've heard of it, Alex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:At least two other contestant stories in the last decade have been about geocaching... you've heard of it, Alex
You don't suppose that TPH is Alex, do you?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Woof wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
Casters was an instaget for me. Something about childhood experiences playing with glass casters on the bottom of various furniture items.
^Same, 'zackly. It's a cultural heritage thingy for those of us that lived in days of yore with oddly shaped brightly colored furniture and bizarre clothing styles! :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Thought the $2000 clue in 2-Word Countries was too tough for regular play, needed more time to work through the list of W. African Countries.

The name of this West African country may refer to the shape of nearby hills resembling a certain beast

I guess you either know it or you don't, and Shannon got it immediately. I got stuck on Burkina Faso and knew that wasn't it.