Monday, October 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
davey wrote:I knew it wasn't platypus, as another poster said it doesn't sound Greek.
I don't know. There's another figure from Greek mythology named Polyphemus. Platypus and Polyphemus sound similar to me.
Many Greek mythological names came into English via Latin. Polyphemus in Greek is really Polyphemos, with the -os being a masculine ending corresponding to the Latin -us. If a Greek name does end in -us in the original, it usually ends in -eus (e.g., Zeus, Odysseus, Perseus, Theseus).
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The questions in the gig category referred to memory in iPods when they meant storage space.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
goatman wrote:Not a coin flip TPH, make an educated guess if you don't know for sure... read more mythology... spare us the rant!
Platypus actually sounded more mythological to me. I saw nothing to "educate" this guess at all.
My ten year old kid got this one brother. She reads... nature books. :!:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
davey

Post by davey »

harrumph wrote:For whatever reason the Philadelphia (and I think also the New York City) channels preempted the regular time and broadcast this game at 1:07 in the morning, I stay up late so I caught it then, the dvr reset itself to the adjusted time.
Didn't happen in NY.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote:The questions in the gig category referred to memory in iPods when they meant storage space.
I forget what iPod model they were referring to in the question, but many iPods use flash memory rather than a disk, so memory would have been properly used in that case.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
floridagator wrote:The questions in the gig category referred to memory in iPods when they meant storage space.
I forget what iPod model they were referring to in the question, but many iPods use flash memory rather than a disk, so memory would have been properly used in that case.
...I think all iPods use flash memory, not just many.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
...I think all iPods use flash memory, not just many.
Nope. Pretty sure the early "classic" models used a disk.

edit: yeah, "There were six generations of the iPod classic, as well as a spin-off (the iPod Photo) that was later re-integrated into the main iPod line. All generations used a 1.8-inch (46 mm) hard drive for storage." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Classic
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote: ...I think all iPods use flash memory, not just many.
Nope. Pretty sure the early "classic" models used a disk.

edit: yeah, "There were six generations of the iPod classic, as well as a spin-off (the iPod Photo) that was later re-integrated into the main iPod line. All generations used a 1.8-inch (46 mm) hard drive for storage." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Classic
Wow. Totally forgot about those.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This was the second Monday game in a row to have Jaws show up in the first clue of the game.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Robert K S wrote:This was the second Monday game in a row to have Jaws show up in the first clue of the game.
They're gonna need a bigger canon.
Sprinkles are for winners.