Monday, October 31, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, October 31, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:An analogy doesn't have to be perfect to be useful. I'm surprised at all the hate for this FJ! I felt like it was a WECIB. Sure, Pandora and Spotify crossed my mind, but they're not really new technologies and there's no reason Steve Jobs would be talking them up.
I agree. My first thought was satellite radio, but then I thought "why would Steve Jobs be talking about satellite radio?" Podcasts/podcasting made the most sense given the Steve Jobs hint.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote:what would happen to my response of "What is a rocket?" on the Sputnik 1 clue?

Since it was vague and simply stated "this happened", I assume a BMS?
I'm guessing that would be a neg because the rocket that launched the Sputnik satellite was not the "size of a beach ball." I recall the clue wording was something like that. Sputnik 1 is not a rocket.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This recent NYTimes article puts Jobs's remark in a little more context. I looked around a bit but haven't found the original source.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/busin ... .html?_r=0
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

opusthepenguin wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I got it right off the rebound, so I'm not sure it qualifies as negbait, but a guy named Watt + coal mining = something other than energy...evil :lol:
I agree, even though I got it right. Watt was very famous as Secretary of the Interior for a very brief time. He only served from 1981 to 1983 and disappeared from view within a few years after. Most of us who were born before 1966, say, remember him pretty well. Younger than that, you probably have to be into politics or the history of the 80s or something.
Or be someone who really hates (or really loves) the Beach Boys.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woppy T wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I got it right off the rebound, so I'm not sure it qualifies as negbait, but a guy named Watt + coal mining = something other than energy...evil :lol:
I agree, even though I got it right. Watt was very famous as Secretary of the Interior for a very brief time. He only served from 1981 to 1983 and disappeared from view within a few years after. Most of us who were born before 1966, say, remember him pretty well. Younger than that, you probably have to be into politics or the history of the 80s or something.
Or be someone who really hates (or really loves) the Beach Boys.
Ha! I'd forgotten about that. It marked the first time in my life I'd ever heard of Wayne Newton.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

xxaaaxx wrote:Small object "launched" from Kazakhstan in 1957 = TS?!

TiVo = recording video for later, so recording audio is...podcasting sounds good.

I got it right off the rebound, so I'm not sure it qualifies as negbait, but a guy named Watt + coal mining = something other than energy...evil :lol:
There were a few shocking stand and stares, but yes, I was floored with the Sputnik miss. Maybe it was the reference to Kazakhstan that threw them off??

The "Where Am I" Category had some surprising misses too - no one could figure out Santa Fe when they show a pueblo style building and provide additional info that it's the oldest city that is a state capital?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goatman wrote:LT: Lucy Maid Montgomery (Anne Shirley = same Anne of Green Gables!); The Land that "Time Forgot".
I don't make the rules, but I believe it can be called Lach Trash only if you give the correct response.
dinghammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Hmmm. It's not working for me. TiVo records TV programs in real time as they stream so you can watch them later. It doesn't stream or download pre-recorded programs at your request. That's closer to what Netflix or On Demand do. A real radio analog to TiVo would record live broadcasts that you pre-selected and would also make algorithmic guesses about other content you might like and record that. I don't see how podcasts are closer to that model than Spotify/Pandora or Sirius or iTunes. They're all equally barely like TiVo at all.

My conclusion: Steve Jobs made a bad analogy that didn't really correspond to ANY "new form." We were supposed to guess what the frack he thought he was talking about. I declare this the worst FJ of the season.
I guessed this one correctly, and I completely agree with the above. Terrible clue.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I said podcasting with absolutely zero confidence and had no idea that Jobs had anything to do with the (so-called) technology.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was a bit confused by the wording and put iheart radio as my "anything is better than nothing" guess.

I agree James Watt is someone you probably aren't going to know if you weren't around in the 1980s. So I was a bit surprised the player who looks like she is around my age didn't get it. Energy isn't a bad guess if you are given coal in the clue.

I got quarry but I agree it was a poorly written clue. I said craggy for the voice in that category,
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: The "Where Am I" Category had some surprising misses too - no one could figure out Santa Fe when they show a pueblo style building and provide additional info that it's the oldest city that is a state capital?
Gonna be honest, I couldn't fully grok what the building was (bad viewing angle) and spent too much time trying to ID it. If it was just a text based "Name the oldest state capital," I likely would've gotten it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote: The "Where Am I" Category had some surprising misses too - no one could figure out Santa Fe when they show a pueblo style building and provide additional info that it's the oldest city that is a state capital?
Gonna be honest, I couldn't fully grok what the building was (bad viewing angle) and spent too much time trying to ID it. If it was just a text based "Name the oldest state capital," I likely would've gotten it.
I got it, but the fact that Kelly was dressed for a trip above the Arctic Circle didn't exactly help matters!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote:
I got it, but the fact that Kelly was dressed for a trip above the Arctic Circle didn't exactly help matters!
Santa Fe is at 7,198', so it was probably appropriate attire depending on the season.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alietr wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote:
Santa Fe is at 7,198', so it was probably appropriate attire depending on the season.
Wow ... Google "highest state capital". It comes up with Santa Fe in that little box above the rest of the search results, and has a paragraph describing Santa Fe and the fact that it is home to ... Northern Arizona University. Um, no, Google, it is not.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
IronNeck wrote:what would happen to my response of "What is a rocket?" on the Sputnik 1 clue?

Since it was vague and simply stated "this happened", I assume a BMS?
I'm guessing that would be a neg because the rocket that launched the Sputnik satellite was not the "size of a beach ball." I recall the clue wording was something like that. Sputnik 1 is not a rocket.
I would have given a BMS for "satellite" because Sputnik 1 was not the first rocket.
OCSam
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wow ... Google "highest state capital". It comes up with Santa Fe in that little box above the rest of the search results, and has a paragraph describing Santa Fe and the fact that it is home to ... Northern Arizona University. Um, no, Google, it is not.
This is what I see in the box:
Santa Fe
Santa Fe is the capital of the State of New Mexico and the highest capital city in the United States. The population is 70,297. Flagstaff Arizona is at 7,000 feet above sea level, with a population of 66,000 and the home of Northern Arizona University.
List of highest United States cities by state - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_hi ... .Wikipedia
Are you not getting the Flagstaff bit?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Another one here in the 'terrible clue' category. I said ipod; it's a device that records and catalogues just like the original tivo device was before dvr got more sophisticated and cloudy. I wonder if 'podcasting' was the only answer they might have accepted.

Lots of very strange stand and stare; pretty basic stuff. No one yet has mentioned how bad a guess 'King John II' was, only slightly better than nothing, which, well, it is.

James Watt was the Interior Secretary famous for his belief that we don't need trees, because, you know, the rapture.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote:
alietr wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote:
Wow ... Google "highest state capital". It comes up with Santa Fe in that little box above the rest of the search results, and has a paragraph describing Santa Fe and the fact that it is home to ... Northern Arizona University. Um, no, Google, it is not.
I think we all know that the highest state capital is Denver. 8-)
Sprinkles are for winners.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

It seemed clear to me that the FJ's use of the word "form" meant that the answer was not a specific service, device, or product.So, I started thinking more generically and hit upon ”podcasting” and given that it loosely fit the TiVo analogy and a connection to Jobs, I went with it.

As for whether or not it was well-written or not, maybe it could have been better but it is what is. Complaining about clue construction feels like complaining about bad calls in baseball-- somewhat childish. Maybe if there was a massive amount of them in a single game, but the odd one here and there is simply something to be expected.
Last edited by waterloo_guy on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: I think we all know that the highest state capital is Denver. 8-)
O yeah that's right, since 2012ish, and as a consequence they have a 50% increase in highway traffic accident mortality and high school recidivism now approaching 40%... O the moral fiber! :evil:

BTW above link is broke or bogus, this one works okay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... s_by_state
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

waterloo_guy wrote:It seemed clear to me that the FJ's use of the word "form" meant that the answer was not a specific service, device, or product.
And yet, TiVo is a specific service, device, or product, so I fail to see anything "clear" here.
waterloo_guy wrote: Complaining about clue construction feels like complaining about bad calls in baseball-- somewhat childish.
You are aware of what this message board is, right?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote:
alietr wrote: Wow ... Google "highest state capital". It comes up with Santa Fe in that little box above the rest of the search results, and has a paragraph describing Santa Fe and the fact that it is home to ... Northern Arizona University. Um, no, Google, it is not.
This is what I see in the box:
Santa Fe
Santa Fe is the capital of the State of New Mexico and the highest capital city in the United States. The population is 70,297. Flagstaff Arizona is at 7,000 feet above sea level, with a population of 66,000 and the home of Northern Arizona University.
List of highest United States cities by state - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_hi ... .Wikipedia
Are you not getting the Flagstaff bit?
Ah. Thank you for clearing that up. I missed Flagstaff in reading it. It basically took the Wikipedia list of highest (not in the Denver way) cities and kept going. I loathe those boxes they've added to the Google results.