FJs for the 10/31/16 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/31/16 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:54 pm

In 2005 Steve Jobs used "It’s sort of like TiVo for radio" to describe this new form
44%
This nation joined the Warsaw Pact in 1955 & NATO in 2009, & was alphabetically first in each
82%
He "inaugurated a new depth--both visually…and emotionally…and (had) a voice that paid the bills until he died"
55%
In a 1926 book, he "is in a very sad condition, because it’s his birthday, & nobody has taken any notice of it, & he’s very gloomy"
84%
William Seward objected to its timing, saying "it may be viewed as the last measure of an exhausted government"
86%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
17%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
HOW NOVEL $1600: "Anne of the Island" from 1915 was the third novel by this author to feature young Anne Shirley
47%
THE 19th CENTURY $1200: What we call this 1853 "Purchase" is known in Mexico as La Venta de la Mesilla
70%
U.S. MOUNTAINS $1000: The observatory on the summit of this New Hampshire mountain provides guided tours of its weather station
62%
iTunes was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
13%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue by guessing a country that started with the letter "B"
9%
Alfred Hitchcock was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
22%
Alex's impression of Eeyore aided me in solving the Thursday FJ! clue.
29%
I missed the Thursday FJ! clue by guessing a different A.A. Milne character.
7%

Total votes: 125

bpmod
Rank

Re: FJs for the 10/31/16 week

Post by bpmod »

You know what they say:

If at first you don't succeed,
Spoiler
so much for skydiving.
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

alietr wrote:
kerryoakie wrote:I only know Mt. Washington because I work in the automotive field and a lot of hybrid brake testing takes place on the descent. Hopefully I'll get to drive it next fall!
And what if the brakes fail?

Sorta reminds me of the plaque they have no more than 1/2 mile from the beginning of the trail up the mountain memorializing several climbers who had died there.
Well, hopefully the parking/"emergency" brake still functions... ;) It's mostly a test to determine brake fade with increased heat. Hybrid brakes get a lot hotter than conventional hydraulic brakes because the battery fills up and it uses the service brakes to maintain speed. Hot brakes don't work very well.

I believe most automakers pay to close the road completely for exclusive testing. Not only for confidentiality, but also safety of everyone on the road.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

kerryoakie wrote:Well, hopefully the parking/"emergency" brake still functions...
As a professional driver, one of my peeves is people who refer to the parking brake as the emergency brake.

If you think suddenly spinning 180 degrees and continuing backward is better than whatever fate you may have been faced with immediately prior to hitting that brake, then, by all means use it in an emergency.

That being said, however, it is possible to use some* parking brakes (in an emergency) if you fully understand the correct technique.

*It depends entirely on the design of the brake and its related components.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

bpmod wrote:
kerryoakie wrote:Well, hopefully the parking/"emergency" brake still functions...
As a professional driver, one of my peeves is people who refer to the parking brake as the emergency brake.

If you think suddenly spinning 180 degrees and continuing backward is better than whatever fate you may have been faced with immediately prior to hitting that brake, then, by all means use it in an emergency.

That being said, however, it is possible to use some* parking brakes (in an emergency) if you fully understand the correct technique.

*It depends entirely on the design of the brake and its related components.

Brian
I have to admit that I haven't really ever thought about why it's called the emergency brake, but I use it in the "emergency" that the car will move even though it's in park.

So, it's really just another name for parking brake in my mind - but that's just one (probably misguided) opinion.

I think newer cars aren't including them at all - or the parking brake is essentially automatic.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Elijah Baley wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

...I think newer cars aren't including them at all - or the parking brake is essentially automatic.
Most newer cars have moved to an Electronic Parking Brake to save weight and space in the center console area. Plus, most consumers don't even use their parking brake unless they're driving a manual transmission car. However, we still do testing on it to confirm that it is able to hold vehicle weight on various grades and stop the car in a reasonable distance from certain speeds.

Brian, as a professional driver, you should know that the parking brake should actually be called the "pull for fun" lever in FWD cars :lol:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(
Got a bit lucky on Monday. I think I said Bulgaria on Tuesday. Wednesday I wasn't thinking of a literal "voice" and may have said Kubrick. Read Thursday's clue while fast forwarding so did not get a voice hint from Alex.

22244433, 24-16
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

:( :mrgreen: :(

Hitchcock for Welles; Winnie the Pooh for Eeyore (I haven't read anything Pooh-related in well over three decades, so that's one way it's possible to miss that one). The hyperbole in the game thread about the Eeyore FJ being the easiest FJ ever was silly. Based on the polling, it wasn't even the easiest FJ of this week.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

hbomb1947 wrote:The hyperbole in the game thread about the Eeyore FJ being the easiest FJ ever was silly. Based on the polling, it wasn't even the easiest FJ of this week.
Yes. The one I missed is the easiest of the week.

Figures.

Brian

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:The hyperbole in the game thread about the Eeyore FJ being the easiest FJ ever was silly. Based on the polling, it wasn't even the easiest FJ of this week.

Figures.
If you could say that in an Eeyore voice, that would be awesome. :lol:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Figures.
If you could say that in an Eeyore voice, that would be awesome. :lol:
I did. Weren't you listening?

Brian