LL71: For The LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JLJ
Valued Contributor

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by JLJ »

jeff6286 wrote:
JLJ wrote:I still don't understand why this answer was not scored as correct on the anime question.
You misspelled it. "Teh" is not pronounced the same as "The". Tough break!
But I thought that was how all of teh anime kids spelled it.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

seaborgium wrote:I thought Iraq/Kuwait first, but I thought "name either" made it way too easy, so I said Eritrea instead. I still would have lost both my public and private matches by a point if I had gone with my first instinct, so I'm not kicking myself particularly hard for it.
Those two crossed my mind too.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

North/South Korea, Israel/Egypt in the Sinai, somewhere in former Yugoslavia crossed my mind. Iraq/Kuwait did not.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Never heard of the show "Suits." Guess I'm in the minority! Still hard to believe more than twice as many people got that right than the Iraq/Kuwait question. I didn't know about the border barrier zone there, but it seemed like a "what else could it be?" type question.
Last year, my wife and I visited her uncle. Unk's wife watches a lot of prime-time TV, and Suits was one of the shows she had on. Never heard of it before visiting, so I owe Unk's wife an adult beverage or two.

I completely derped on Iraq/Kuwait and answered "Bosnia".
dklee12
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dklee12 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Never heard of the show "Suits."
You may not have remembered it, Kirk, but you have seen the title before. :)

I squeaked out a win against the estimable WhitlockS, thanks in large part to my mom, who watches the show regularly.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dklee12 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Never heard of the show "Suits."
You may not have remembered it, Kirk, but you have seen the title before. :)
I can't argue that! Monk and Psych were the two shows that I recognized from that group.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Never heard of the show "Suits." Guess I'm in the minority!
I thought my UK-based opponent definitely wouldn't have heard of it, and assigned him a 3 -- whoops. Guess the "seemingly appropriately named" wording in the clue was a huge hint. (Turns out it does air in the UK, on a freeview channel.)
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

trainman wrote:
I thought my UK-based opponent definitely wouldn't have heard of it, and assigned him a 3 -- whoops. Guess the "seemingly appropriately named" wording in the clue was a huge hint. (Turns out it does air in the UK, on a freeview channel.)
I didn't remember this on the match day either, but on the LL board someone pointed out that Meghan Markle (center in the photo we were shown) is dating Prince Harry. That fact, and the name of the show that she's on, are apparently very well known Over There. Probably better than they're known here.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

My dad has been perusing the websites of colleges that I might apply to, and he told me that he saw that there was a LearnedLeague club at Rice. Rice immediately became my first choice. I looked it up... and found that it was actually a League of Legends club.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

trainman wrote:

I prevailed 7(4) 4(3) but my opponent helped quite a bit by giving me 0 on on the TV question despite my abysmal record on that cat. She must have thought the question so easy as to be virtually unmissable. Or for all I know, put down 0 when she meant to put 3 (I've come close to doing that myself). Actually, I knew "seemingly appropriately named" was key, so I stared and stared, came up with "Corner Office", and convinced myself I might actually be right be right. Oh, well.

By the way, has Thorston ever changed the 18 categories? I'm sure some llamas must have advocated over the years to get rid of some (say, television!) and add new ones (say, '50s rock n roll)?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mrparadise wrote:
trainman wrote:

I prevailed 7(4) 4(3) but my opponent helped quite a bit by giving me 0 on on the TV question despite my abysmal record on that cat. She must have thought the question so easy as to be virtually unmissable. Or for all I know, put down 0 when she meant to put 3 (I've come close to doing that myself). Actually, I knew "seemingly appropriately named" was key, so I stared and stared, came up with "Corner Office", and convinced myself I might actually be right be right. Oh, well.

By the way, has Thorston ever changed the 18 categories? I'm sure some llamas must have advocated over the years to get rid of some (say, television!) and add new ones (say, '50s rock n roll)?
In the very earliest days of LL (like before Season 10 or possibly even earlier), Opera was a separate category from Classical Music.

The most common request I think has been for a Religion and Philosophy category. Those kinds of Qs get filed into Lifestyle right now.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

mrparadise wrote:By the way, has Thorston ever changed the 18 categories? I'm sure some llamas must have advocated over the years to get rid of some (say, television!) and add new ones (say, '50s rock n roll)?
In May 2015 the Commissioner did a sort-of-Reddit-style AMA thing, and someone asked him if he ever thought about adjusting the categories. His response:

"Hmmm, maybe. But probably not. Anything else would also be imperfect. I feel like the categories as they exist serve the function that they were intended to serve, which is as buckets for player profiling. I get that some can argue that some questions are mis-categorized, and/or misplaced in the catch-all Lifestyle bucket, and I'm sure that's true, but I don't see it as a big issue."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I agree with his assessment. There's enough granularity now to give you a good idea of your opponent's strengths and weaknesses on a macro level. If you're interested in digging deeper you can check their question history.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Of course I get my first six-pack of the season against an opponent who is now 0-17-1. Then again, I needed them all, as I only won 9(6)-7(5).
Sprinkles are for winners.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

Congrats, dhkendall, on a decisive victory over me yesterday. As a Yankee, it's a bit embarrassing to miss an American history question while a Canadian opponent gets it right!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Well, in the midst of this most dismal of seasons, I manage to salvage some measure of personal satisfaction by finally managing a victory against my referrer and long-time Nemesis bomtr. That brings my record against him to 1-7-3. Woot!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Linear Gnome wrote:More than halfway into LL71, I'm still leading my rundle (I won my ninth match MD25 in LL70, MD13 in LL71). I think it was on the LL message board where someone commented that, just as bad beats and 50/50/90 guesses and infuriating defensive mishaps are part of LL, so is occasionally finishing higher than you should and getting promoted to a rundle where you don't really belong. I'm prepared to take my lumps in B if it comes to that.
I hope it's not tacky to quote myself to give a brief follow-up. After a 5-match losing streak (the most recent one to dnbguy), I'm 9-8-1 and probably stand a better chance of being relegated than promoted at this point, though I'm likely to end up back in C.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Congratulations, alietr, on your victory and perfect defense. Who knew you were a Jamaican pop music aficionado?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote:Well, in the midst of this most dismal of seasons, I manage to salvage some measure of personal satisfaction by finally managing a victory against my referrer and long-time Nemesis bomtr. That brings my record against him to 1-7-3. Woot!
Well done! I'm 0-4 against him.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This has been a horrible season for me. I am currently 6-11-1 in my D rundle and in the relegation zone. But I have just one fewer correct answer on the season (45-44) than the person in third place and have played better defense than he has. But I have "allowed" 54 correct answers to his 38. And he has two forfeit wins to my zero in a league with only ten total forfeits. I do play the bottom two players the last week of the season, so maybe I can avoid a trip to the basement.