LL71: For The LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The person I played yesterday ended up getting 141 TCA for the season. I figured I need a six-pack to tie him and I was correct. I ended up 21st out of 26 in my rundle even though my QPct and DE were better than my average.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Thanks all boardie-Llamas for another great season. Congrats to Kirk for dominating the "Rundle in the Jundle 2", and to BigDaddyMatty for hosting it.

The 8 (I think?) boardies in Mag A all are safely clustered near the middle avoiding relegation. We'll which side we all end in as we get partitioned for next season.

I considered Idi Amin, but figured he was such a crazy tyrant that he couldn't leave and come back... Wrong. I was very satisfied though to get 5 right each of the last two days and finish with 100 correct for the season - making this an average season for me despite a week of illness where I played poorly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

boson wrote:Thanks all boardie-Llamas for another great season. Congrats to Kirk for dominating the "Rundle in the Jundle 2", and to BigDaddyMatty for hosting it.

The 8 (I think?) boardies in Mag A all are safely clustered near the middle avoiding relegation. We'll which side we all end in as we get partitioned for next season.

I considered Idi Amin, but figured he was such a crazy tyrant that he couldn't leave and come back... Wrong. I was very satisfied though to get 5 right each of the last two days and finish with 100 correct for the season - making this an average season for me despite a week of illness where I played poorly.
It was the other guy who left and came back.

I got this and Sikh on guesses along with Bonanza to get the 3(3)-1(2) win. I avoided demotion to E by one point when the person I was tied with tied his match. If he had won he would have had me on the tiebreaker.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

Not my season - relegated back down to C (thankfully) with career lows in TCA and defense. Oh well - on to LL72.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was wondering what kind of caves with big rocks were housing LL players when Bonanza was only at 62% and then I started reading posts here. My opponent giving me a 1 for the show and the zero for histamine was also insulting. I guess any kind of depth about the classic western would have dropped the percentage even more. LL is a strange league sometimes with artsy fartsy academic stuff widely known while basic television can leave a third of the field guessing.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Thanks from here as well for a great season to boardies-LLamas.

I wanted to ask: I've made myself a Private Rundle ronin, I've already been in two other PRs, great rundles eachbof them. I hear there is a jboard PR. I'd like to try that for LL72 (my birth year!). Can someone send the info and get me in that one for that season? (Then I'll probably try another for LL73)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:I was wondering what kind of caves with big rocks were housing LL players when Bonanza was only at 62% and then I started reading posts here. My opponent giving me a 1 for the show and the zero for histamine was also insulting. I guess any kind of depth about the classic western would have dropped the percentage even more. LL is a strange league sometimes with artsy fartsy academic stuff widely known while basic television can leave a third of the field guessing.
If I didn't get sick in elementary school, I'd never know what Bonanza is. 9 to noon were the Michael Landon Power Hours back then. (I'd know it is a thing that exists due to UHF, but not much more than that)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:I was wondering what kind of caves with big rocks were housing LL players when Bonanza was only at 62% and then I started reading posts here. My opponent giving me a 1 for the show and the zero for histamine was also insulting. I guess any kind of depth about the classic western would have dropped the percentage even more. LL is a strange league sometimes with artsy fartsy academic stuff widely known while basic television can leave a third of the field guessing.
If there's anything I've learned from playing a lot of Sporcle quizzes, it's that anything "old" (perhaps even from as late as the '80s these days) in pop culture will be unknown to many, and it doesn't seem to matter how important you think it is!
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

God help me, after a fairly unremarkable mid-season run--and posting one of the worst defenses in my rundle--I had a streak at the end that pushed me up to promotion zone. So, it looks like I'll be getting pummeled in A next season. Some nobody named RCraig has been known to hang out in Highland A. And I'm in his branch, so even being moved to a new league won't save me. Whee!

I got Bonanza, but that was really from knowing "of" it, not ever having actually watched an episode of it. And I wasn't surprised that Gunsmoke (another show I've never watched) was MCWA, given a pesky little voice was trying to convince me it was that.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

A lot of LLamas are in college or even high school, and while they might be decent or even fantastic at current movies, music, TV, and sports, they (read: me) completely whiff on anything from before they were born. Questions on current pop culture get asked so rarely that strengths in those areas can be hard to detect. (Or, to put it another way, of course I was living under a rock regarding Bonanza, it ended 25 years before I was born. My parents were barely even born!)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Guessing histamine got me a 9(6) yesterday. I'd like to thank New Mexico's large Sikh community and TCONA for helping me get Kaur and Britney Spears. :)
clprez

Post by clprez »

Winning sure does change ones perspective. Last season I was last in my rundle and was relegated. This season, I could have sworn I got way more correct than last season and I came in 2nd place. However, I looked at my stats and my TCA was about 10 answers *less* than last season.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

nightreign wrote:
A lot of LLamas are in college or even high school, and while they might be decent or even fantastic at current movies, music, TV, and sports, they (read: me) completely whiff on anything from before they were born. Questions on current pop culture get asked so rarely that strengths in those areas can be hard to detect. (Or, to put it another way, of course I was living under a rock regarding Bonanza, it ended 25 years before I was born. My parents were barely even born!)
Repeats were steady well into at least the early 90s; back then, shows like that went to live on a farm upstate in syndication on basic cable...course, that too is becoming less common, since original programming is king.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

ElendilPickle wrote:Guessing histamine got me a 9(6) yesterday. I'd like to thank New Mexico's large Sikh community and TCONA for helping me get Kaur and Britney Spears. :)
My hometown has a substantial Sikh population, and our public library recently hosted a "Get to Know Your Sikh Neighbors" event. But what led me to the answer was Paul Theroux's The Great Railway Bazaar, in which he commented on Sikhs having the last name "Singh" (which means "lion").
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I finished in the middle off the pack in Horizon B so that's where I'll be next time, and probably for the foreseeable future unless I do something to fix my serious weaknesses in tv, pop music, and math.

Since when are geography, lit, and history "artsy fartsy"? Where I come from you need more than a LIberal Arts background to merit that epithet.

I grew up with Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Paladin, Dragnet, 77 Sunset Strip and others of that golden age so 50s/60s tv is almost always instaget. Recent and current tv, on the other hand, is, with a few exceptions, not gettable. I'm always (well I used to be) shocked when 70% or even higher get shows that I've never even heard of. Unlike the 50s and 60s, there are so many tv venues and so many great shows today that I truly don't understand how so many folks find the time to follow them. Hell, I'm (mostly) retired and I usually watch a few hours of tv every night but I can't keep up. I guess if I cut down on my reading and other artsy fartsy pursuits I could do better. But I'm a creature of old habits.

And I REALLY don't know what to do about math. Who knew that those who scolded me for messing up algebra I all those years ago would eventually be proved right. Maybe there's a Math for Dummies book that I could avail myself of.

Looking forward, of course, to LL 72.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ElendilPickle wrote:Guessing histamine got me a 9(6) yesterday. I'd like to thank New Mexico's large Sikh community and TCONA for helping me get Kaur and Britney Spears. :)
I had no idea Britney was so popular with Sikhs! :D

Seriously though the Kaur question was part of a One Day/AF quiz I planned on Workd Religion but never had the time. Guess it'll have to wait a while now (though it's good to see what that question would've got had I wrote it)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Bamaman wrote:
boson wrote:I considered Idi Amin, but figured he was such a crazy tyrant that he couldn't leave and come back... Wrong. I was very satisfied though to get 5 right each of the last two days and finish with 100 correct for the season - making this an average season for me despite a week of illness where I played poorly.
It was the other guy who left and came back.
I made the same reading mistake as boson, and went with Mugabe. Was Obote a prominent character in The Last King of Scotland? I haven't seen it.
MarkBarrett wrote:I was wondering what kind of caves with big rocks were housing LL players when Bonanza was only at 62% and then I started reading posts here.
I zeroed in on "long-running" and discarded Gunsmoke, even though it went for many more seasons, because I (correctly) figured it was more about the wild-er Old West, with shootouts and such. (The latter was in the news a lot when The Simpsons surpassed its record for longevity eight or so years ago.)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I owe my concluding six-pack (and victory) to flying Southwest: their I -flight magazine is rife with ads for Britney in Vegas. Life in the new A Murder: 163 TMP and 117 TCA was good enough for 20th :roll: Congrats to all my fellow boardies on avoiding relegation as well.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Woof wrote:I owe my concluding six-pack (and victory) to flying Southwest: their I -flight magazine is rife with ads for Britney in Vegas. Life in the new A Murder: 163 TMP and 117 TCA was good enough for 20th :roll: Congrats to all my fellow boardies on avoiding relegation as well.
Ha! Ha! 111 TCA was enough for a first place in expansion-diluted Sierra A. I only got promoted from a 5th place B finish due to expansion. I fart in your general direction! (I also guessed Gwen Stefani)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

bengland wrote:
Woof wrote:I owe my concluding six-pack (and victory) to flying Southwest: their I -flight magazine is rife with ads for Britney in Vegas. Life in the new A Murder: 163 TMP and 117 TCA was good enough for 20th :roll: Congrats to all my fellow boardies on avoiding relegation as well.
Ha! Ha! 111 TCA was enough for a first place in expansion-diluted Sierra A. I only got promoted from a 5th place B finish due to expansion. I fart in your general direction! (I also guessed Gwen Stefani)
Back atcha, Bruce. (Your mother smells of elderberries BTW). We just took aforementioned Southwest to Florida, so enjoy the polar vortex, dude :mrgreen: