LL71: For The LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 7976
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by Bamaman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:58 pm

I first learned the show existed a week ago. I went 0/12 because I couldn't remember who played Mrs. Garrett.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3078
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by This Is Kirk! » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Does anyone know how group selection works for mini leagues? I was looking through the players in my group in the Extracts ML and noticed 7 of the 12 were in an A rundle in LL71. I thought that seemed like a strange distribution if any kind of "balancing" was used in the selection.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by seaborgium » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:56 pm

I responded to the Bartleby question in the Short Stories 1DS with, "I would not prefer to." Ouch. I moneyed it too.

User avatar
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)
Posts: 1253
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by goforthetie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:27 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:Does anyone know how group selection works for mini leagues? I was looking through the players in my group in the Extracts ML and noticed 7 of the 12 were in an A rundle in LL71. I thought that seemed like a strange distribution if any kind of "balancing" was used in the selection.
It's random. There has been much discussion about balancing but, for reasons unknown to me, Thorsten has never seemed to be interested in doing it.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by seaborgium » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:18 am

Today's the Calvin and Hobbes 1DS. I'd have been devastated to miss it, so I'm doing my small part to get the word out to those who'd feel likewise.

User avatar
dinghammer
No Relation
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by dinghammer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:58 am

I just played along with the Just Images TV Kitchens and Just Images Legs 1DSes, and those were pretty delightful. I only missed one kitchen from a show I watched, and I got two from shows I've never seen. I was hoping the Gerhardts' kitchen from Fargo season 2 might show up, though. Of the 8 Legs questions I got right, I didn't need the pictures for most of them, and I finally remembered Terry Fox's name, though it took me a few seconds longer than I had for the recent J! clue I missed.

EDIT: Also, the Just Images Portraits ML is hilarious.

ouachiouat
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 am

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by ouachiouat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:25 am

After 5 match days, I'm in 2nd in my social sciences group...complete with a whopping .000 defensive efficiency. Seriously. My opponents have gifted me 3 0(0)s, 1 forfeit, and my only non-win was a 5(2)-4(2) loss. Surely this can't last....

Performing better than expected in extracts. Not too hot in JI Portraits, but I don't recognize many famous faces anyway. I'm just really enjoying the questions and their creativeness.

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by mennoknight » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:51 am

seaborgium wrote:Today's the Calvin and Hobbes 1DS. I'd have been devastated to miss it, so I'm doing my small part to get the word out to those who'd feel likewise.
Thank you for this reminder, lots of fun. Let my 7 y/o son do it on paper, never been more proud.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by seaborgium » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:36 pm

seaborgium wrote:Today's the Calvin and Hobbes 1DS. I'd have been devastated to miss it, so I'm doing my small part to get the word out to those who'd feel likewise.
Olly-wolly polliwoggy ump-bump fizz!

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 4913
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by alietr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:43 pm

seaborgium wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Today's the Calvin and Hobbes 1DS. I'd have been devastated to miss it, so I'm doing my small part to get the word out to those who'd feel likewise.
Olly-wolly polliwoggy ump-bump fizz!
Well done, Stefan! A true fan!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by seaborgium » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:09 am

alietr wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Today's the Calvin and Hobbes 1DS. I'd have been devastated to miss it, so I'm doing my small part to get the word out to those who'd feel likewise.
Olly-wolly polliwoggy ump-bump fizz!
Well done, Stefan! A true fan!
Thanks, Andy! The only one that I was anywhere near iffy on was the Calvinball question, but that quickly dissipated. The real challenge was in the moneys: the only one I was completely certain from the get-go about moneying was Watterson's alma mater. I ruled out the questions dealing with the first and last comics, figuring those would be better known than any one comic in between. I ruled out the ones dealing with things that recurred throughout the life of the comic, so the two side characters, the alter ego, and the cardboard box were out. (The Calvinball question didn't count, since the particular detail the question asked for was only explicitly mentioned once as far as I could remember.) That left five questions for my four remaining moneys, and I ruled out the 2014 comic question, figuring anyone still aware of newspaper comics could get that right. This left Calvin's report, Calvin's dad's job, the Calvinball accessory, and the magazine, all of which worked for me as moneys, since those questions had the fewest relevant, non-landmark strips pertaining to them. (Again, Calvinball is an exception, but it was merely a visual detail to which verbal attention was only called once.) I had the most trepidation about the "bugs" report, because the climactic panel is so iconic in my mind, but it was a single arc in the middle of the comic's history, and there was nothing I'd ruled out that I was willing to trade for it. Perfect score!

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 7923
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by dhkendall » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:05 am

dhkendall wrote:Thanks from here as well for a great season to boardies-LLamas.

I wanted to ask: I've made myself a Private Rundle ronin, I've already been in two other PRs, great rundles eachbof them. I hear there is a jboard PR. I'd like to try that for LL72 (my birth year!). Can someone send the info and get me in that one for that season? (Then I'll probably try another for LL73)
BUMP now that the time is near. Jboard rundle info, anyone?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 553
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by sarisson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:06 pm

This Social Sciences ML is kicking my rear end. After 9 match days, I have 16 correct answers and am 2-5-2 (one of those wins was by forfeit). In these last two matches, I face the top two in my group, including a superchamp tomorrow.
I should've entered Just Images: Portraits because that's been a lot easier.
One-time swimmer

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3078
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:29 am

I wanted to toot my own horn a little about my performance in the "Just Images Portraits 3" ML. After Match Day 10 I'm now leading my group with a 57 MPD and a DE of .926! I'm glad today is the final day of regular competition because there's no way that kind of performance is sustainable. :)

I'm also playing the Extracts ML, but that one has been more difficult. My group is mostly A-rundlers and it's going to be a dog fight for the top two spots. I'm currently sitting in third, but only one point back. Not sure I even want to play in the championship. The regular questions have been so difficult I have a feeling the champs will be nearly impossible.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2182
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:38 am

dhkendall wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Thanks from here as well for a great season to boardies-LLamas.

I wanted to ask: I've made myself a Private Rundle ronin, I've already been in two other PRs, great rundles eachbof them. I hear there is a jboard PR. I'd like to try that for LL72 (my birth year!). Can someone send the info and get me in that one for that season? (Then I'll probably try another for LL73)
BUMP now that the time is near. Jboard rundle info, anyone?
Ask and ye shall receive.

Rundle in the Jundle 3
password: kebertxela
Sprinkles are for winners.

1stlvlthinker
Valued Contributor
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:56 am

Just got my official invite for LL72. I'll make you guys all look better by finishing in last.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's

rpg
Valued Contributor
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 pm

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by rpg » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:02 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:Just got my official invite for LL72. I'll make you guys all look better by finishing in last.
Me too! I'm setting a relatively unambitious goal of not getting put into E rundle, which I think is doable. I can't wait to get started -- especially since I'm missing out on the math one-day today and the opera one-day tomorrow.

User avatar
plasticene
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by plasticene » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:31 pm

rpg wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:Just got my official invite for LL72. I'll make you guys all look better by finishing in last.
Me too! I'm setting a relatively unambitious goal of not getting put into E rundle, which I think is doable. I can't wait to get started -- especially since I'm missing out on the math one-day today and the opera one-day tomorrow.
I thought I'd heard of rookies playing 1DS before their first season. Maybe it's still too early. Keep checking in case there are any attractive ones later on.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4035
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:55 pm

plasticene wrote:
rpg wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:Just got my official invite for LL72. I'll make you guys all look better by finishing in last.
Me too! I'm setting a relatively unambitious goal of not getting put into E rundle, which I think is doable. I can't wait to get started -- especially since I'm missing out on the math one-day today and the opera one-day tomorrow.
I thought I'd heard of rookies playing 1DS before their first season. Maybe it's still too early. Keep checking in case there are any attractive ones later on.
I think it's usually only in the final days of the offseason, once the new rundles are populated, then the rookie profiles become active and are allowed to enter whatever quizzes are left.

User avatar
badgerfellow
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by badgerfellow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:12 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
plasticene wrote:
rpg wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:Just got my official invite for LL72. I'll make you guys all look better by finishing in last.
Me too! I'm setting a relatively unambitious goal of not getting put into E rundle, which I think is doable. I can't wait to get started -- especially since I'm missing out on the math one-day today and the opera one-day tomorrow.
I thought I'd heard of rookies playing 1DS before their first season. Maybe it's still too early. Keep checking in case there are any attractive ones later on.
I think it's usually only in the final days of the offseason, once the new rundles are populated, then the rookie profiles become active and are allowed to enter whatever quizzes are left.
I just registered as a rookie today for LL72, and it appears rookies may be able to enter a 1DS if they wanted. Haven't tried yet, but I may take a look into it the next few days.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alietr, Bing [Bot], bomtr, Google [Bot] and 24 guests