Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Elijah Baley » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:28 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:The fact that all three of them missed it makes me wonder if maybe they didn't go by there (and shame on the organizers if they did skip Arlington),

Meh. For any visit under two weeks, I'd take another two hours in one of the Smithsonian museums over driving by the Pentagon.


Arlington National Cemetery is pretty significant and I'd say probably worth missing a couple hours at one of the Smithsonian museums. And again, it's pretty hard to drive around DC and Arlington without driving by the Pentagon. Which probably takes all of about 5 minutes with an obligatory "it's one of the largest office buildings in the world" commentary.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby opusthepenguin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:The fact that all three of them missed it makes me wonder if maybe they didn't go by there (and shame on the organizers if they did skip Arlington),

Meh. For any visit under two weeks, I'd take another two hours in one of the Smithsonian museums over driving by the Pentagon.


Arlington National Cemetery is pretty significant and I'd say probably worth missing a couple hours at one of the Smithsonian museums. And again, it's pretty hard to drive around DC and Arlington without driving by the Pentagon. Which probably takes all of about 5 minutes with an obligatory "it's one of the largest office buildings in the world" commentary.


Fair enough.
User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby davey » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:53 pm

I'm on the side that the FJ was really easy but I still managed to miss it. I think the "city within a city" is what threw me, since the Pentagon seems set apart on the other side of the Potomac. I suppose that's a technicality, but maybe it threw the kids too. Really, the wartime date should have done it. I said the Forbidden City too, though I know it's an ancient structure (or from the 15th C. actually)...
Loved that ending!
Last edited by davey on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 2239
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby trainman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:00 pm

When I was these kids' age, I had read Washington Goes to War by David Brinkley -- which is about life in Washington, D.C., during World War II -- so I actually know this FJ would have been an instaget for me 25 years ago.
User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby This Is Kirk! » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:12 pm

Alec's reaction when he won was great!

Surprised all three missed that FJ. Certainly a step up in difficulty from the quarter final matches FJs, but I wuld have thought at least one of them would have gotten it.
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 2982
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby geolawyerman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:17 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:Alec's reaction when he won was great!

Surprised all three missed that FJ. Certainly a step up in difficulty from the quarter final matches FJs, but I wuld have thought at least one of them would have gotten it.


I was in the audience with the other semifinalists + Jack (alternate), and not a single one of us knew the answer. We did not go by the Pentagon, though Alec has been to Arlington for History Bowl.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby This Is Kirk! » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:20 pm

geolawyerman wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Alec's reaction when he won was great!

Surprised all three missed that FJ. Certainly a step up in difficulty from the quarter final matches FJs, but I wuld have thought at least one of them would have gotten it.


I was in the audience with the other semifinalists + Jack (alternate), and not a single one of us knew the answer. We did not go by the Pentagon, though Alec has been to Arlington for History Bowl.


Huh, interesting. I guess we'll see how this one plays out on the weekly poll.
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 2982
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby BigDaddyMatty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Coryat: $42,400
53 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Carnival, For Whom The Bell Tolls, The Color Purple, Gettysburg, prehensile

#smartwagersmatter

The Pentagon never occurred to me. I went with the Kremlin.

TenPoundHammer wrote:Events for $200 was a coinflip on Veterans/Memorial IMO.

The clue mentioned that the dedication was in November.
Sprinkles are for winners.
User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Volante » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:56 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
geolawyerman wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Alec's reaction when he won was great!

Surprised all three missed that FJ. Certainly a step up in difficulty from the quarter final matches FJs, but I wuld have thought at least one of them would have gotten it.


I was in the audience with the other semifinalists + Jack (alternate), and not a single one of us knew the answer. We did not go by the Pentagon, though Alec has been to Arlington for History Bowl.


Huh, interesting. I guess we'll see how this one plays out on the weekly poll.

I'd say that FJ would make a great LL question. But 30 seconds? There's a lot there to digest.
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
 
Posts: 4755
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby This Is Kirk! » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:03 am

I guess it boils down to "what's a huge building that was built during WWII?"
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 2982
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby IronNeck » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:05 am

Amusingly, I asked the FJ clue to a friend of mine who works for the Department of Defense.

She didn't get it.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Robert K S » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:36 am

davey wrote:the "city within a city" is what threw me


This is one of those questions where knowing too much can hurt you--in this case, if you knew that the Pentagon is not even in a city.
User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby silverscreentest » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:39 am

Robert K S wrote:
davey wrote:the "city within a city" is what threw me


This is one of those questions where knowing too much can hurt you--in this case, if you knew that the Pentagon is not even in a city.


A population of 225,000 is not big enough to be called a city for you?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
User avatar
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby OldSchoolChamp » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 am

Elijah Baley wrote:For a tourney where a lot of the kids have been making fairly savvy FJ wagers, that was a very rough moment for Connor and Emily. It just goes to show the importance of wagering strategy.

We all understand that a player in Emily’s position should bet small enough to keep Connor locked out, knowing that Alec will have to make a big shutout bet and just hoping he misses the question. But I also have to wonder if players in that position (and especially young kids like these) aren’t perhaps influenced by Alex’s stupid “they have to guard against each other” remark. No, Alex: Alec has to guard against Emily, but Emily doesn’t have to guard against Alec; she just has to sit tight and hope to win by jujitsu. The time when the two leaders really do have to “guard against each other” is when all three scores are close going into FJ—not in a game like this where they’re close to each other but the third player trails a long way behind.

I get it that Alex is just trying to say something encouraging for Connor’s benefit and to create a sense of drama for the viewing audience. The players should just ignore him and think for themselves about their wagering strategy; but I also think he may be inappropriately planting a seed of bad strategy in a player like Emily’s mind. After all his years on the show, he should have a better understanding of his own damn game. I just about bust a gut every time I hear him say it; he ought to just cut it the hell out.
User avatar
OldSchoolChamp
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby OldSchoolChamp » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:12 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Events for $200 was a coinflip on Veterans/Memorial IMO.
The clue mentioned that the dedication was in November.

. . . except that in 1923 they weren’t Veterans’ and Memorial Day, they were Armistice and Decoration Day.
User avatar
OldSchoolChamp
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Bob Shoemaker » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:33 am

Hello,

Can anyone remember the question about the river in Asia? How was it phrased?

I was across the room but I thought the question asked what is the longest river in Asia?




Thank you,




Bob
Bob Shoemaker
Just Starting Out on JBoard
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:27 am

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Elijah Baley » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:14 am

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:For a tourney where a lot of the kids have been making fairly savvy FJ wagers, that was a very rough moment for Connor and Emily. It just goes to show the importance of wagering strategy.

We all understand that a player in Emily’s position should bet small enough to keep Connor locked out, knowing that Alec will have to make a big shutout bet and just hoping he misses the question. But I also have to wonder if players in that position (and especially young kids like these) aren’t perhaps influenced by Alex’s stupid “they have to guard against each other” remark. No, Alex: Alec has to guard against Emily, but Emily doesn’t have to guard against Alec; she just has to sit tight and hope to win by jujitsu. The time when the two leaders really do have to “guard against each other” is when all three scores are close going into FJ—not in a game like this where they’re close to each other but the third player trails a long way behind.

I get it that Alex is just trying to say something encouraging for Connor’s benefit and to create a sense of drama for the viewing audience. The players should just ignore him and think for themselves about their wagering strategy; but I also think he may be inappropriately planting a seed of bad strategy in a player like Emily’s mind. After all his years on the show, he should have a better understanding of his own damn game. I just about bust a gut every time I hear him say it; he ought to just cut it the hell out.


I agree, particularly when the contestants are teens - adults and I'm not as concerned if they're dumb enough to listen to Alex.

That said, he practically shouted at Connor not to bet anything - which I agree is unfair to the other players - but unfortunately for Connor, he probably just didn't understand what Alex was telling him. (Or, maybe he thought - "hey, Alex doesn't seem to know this game as well as he should so I'm just going to tune him out!").
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby spell4yr » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:47 am

silverscreentest wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
davey wrote:the "city within a city" is what threw me


This is one of those questions where knowing too much can hurt you--in this case, if you knew that the Pentagon is not even in a city.


A population of 225,000 is not big enough to be called a city for you?


What's the problem with what he said? I thought that Arlington County was unincorporated.

It's the same problem I have with, being originally from New England, them asking for "cities" that are actually incorporated as New England towns (such as Concord/Lexington, Mass.).
spell4yr
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:03 am
Location: Merrillville, Ind.

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Woof » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:25 am

Sad to say, the construction date of the Pentagon was something I'd never really considered. I knew it was a mid-20th C building, but hadn't pegged it for a wartime construction. My thinking went to the Forbidden City and the Kremlin, thinking of large fortifications within cities, despite knowing full well that both dated back to well before the 20th C. Same problem with Edo Palace, which I also considered. My lame rationalization at the time was that maybe the Forbidden City wasn't completed until 1943 despite having been largely completed centuries earlier (yeah, the Kuomintang had nothing better to do with their time and efforts during the Sino-Japanese War than some late masonry work :oops: )
User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 2986
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:48 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:The fact that all three of them missed it makes me wonder if maybe they didn't go by there (and shame on the organizers if they did skip Arlington),

Meh. For any visit under two weeks, I'd take another two hours in one of the Smithsonian museums over driving by the Pentagon.

Or just have them watch X-Men - Days of Future Past
User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1stlvlthinker, badgerfellow, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], dfawcettSD, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MtlMike, TenPoundHammer, twelvefootboy, Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests