Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:52 am

I was just really surprised that Lester Pearson being from North America was Lach Trash.
I identify as a Jeopardy! fan, and use who/what pronouns.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1427
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:50 am

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I was just really surprised that Lester Pearson being from North America was Lach Trash.
At least once a week, the contestants give Canadians a reason to laugh at them, or shake their heads. TBH I'm pretty sure the first time I encountered his name was when I followed the NHL, rather than perusing Nobel lists, so I guess there were no hockey fans up there either. I wonder how many of them they actually knew, or just guessed based on the names (although I'd like to think they knew who Pablo Neruda was, at least).
Bamaman wrote:Did the cooks clue mention soup?
I think it mentioned something about vichyssoise, but I still didn't like the neg. Fortunately it didn't hurt him, other than perhaps making his payday a bit smaller.

Instaget FJ.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6711
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:39 am

xxaaaxx wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I was just really surprised that Lester Pearson being from North America was Lach Trash.
At least once a week, the contestants give Canadians a reason to laugh at them, or shake their heads. TBH I'm pretty sure the first time I encountered his name was when I followed the NHL, rather than perusing Nobel lists, so I guess there were no hockey fans up there either. I wonder how many of them they actually knew, or just guessed based on the names (although I'd like to think they knew who Pablo Neruda was, at least).
If you've ever flown into Toronto (or are familiar with the story behind Rush's song "YYZ") you certainly know who he is.

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:56 am

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I was just really surprised that Lester Pearson being from North America was Lach Trash.
At least once a week, the contestants give Canadians a reason to laugh at them, or shake their heads. TBH I'm pretty sure the first time I encountered his name was when I followed the NHL, rather than perusing Nobel lists, so I guess there were no hockey fans up there either. I wonder how many of them they actually knew, or just guessed based on the names (although I'd like to think they knew who Pablo Neruda was, at least).
If you've ever flown into Toronto (or are familiar with the story behind Rush's song "YYZ") you certainly know who he is.
Yes, even if you don't know how to pronounce the Rush song.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2186
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Coryat: $34,400
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: North America, Enterprise (DD), Ceres

I see that they had at least one leftover Teen Tourney FJ!

FTR, I think that Alex's extended pause on the Prozac Nation DD was ridiculous, and I agree with the BMS on "too many cooks in the kitchen" given that they named a soup in the clue.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Nobel category was entirely YEKIOYD. You had to take a total WAG off the sound of the name. Crappy category.
Isn't it weird how this quiz show sometimes requires its contestants to know stuff?
ragtimepiano wrote:Does any6one know what happened to Christina? She didn't appear at the end with the other two contestants?
She was there. Her left shoulder is visible in the first shot of Stephanie and Andrew. My guess is that she was crying, so the cameraman/director chose out of kindness not to show her.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 4914
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Bamaman wrote:Did the cooks clue mention soup?
No, I mentioned the bisque.

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:29 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
ragtimepiano wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Christina? She didn't appear at the end with the other two contestants?
She was there. Her left shoulder is visible in the first shot of Stephanie and Andrew. My guess is that she was crying, so the cameraman/director chose out of kindness not to show her.
Yes. She was definitely there. You can see a bit of her face in one of the later shots in addition to the shot mentioned by Matty. But, also yes, it seems that they purposely left her out of the frame for most of the post-game chat.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2286
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Volante wrote:
OSXpert wrote: I feel like I hear "too many cooks in the kitchen" without the "spoil the broth" part often, so I was expecting them to give back money on that, but oh well.
Yeah...didn't like that. The underlying meaning is still the same and technically both still fit despite their targeting.
The clue ended, You'll sadly see the truth of this. Too many cooks... is incomplete - it could be referring to the "sitcom"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8
(If you've never seen it...) :!:
I'd say that technically only the complete phrase fits...
But what do I know? My immediate and unwavering FJ response was Thomas Paine... :roll: I was thinking that his writings helped foment the French revolution too and revolutionary fervor around the world - infamous would have been more pointed for me than notorious, but I never thought of the traitor... I also thought Paine had died in England - turns out no, he died in NY...

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:39 am

Strong game by new champion Andrew Lee; he reminds me of the excellent 4-game champion Tim Kutz in several ways. This despite defending champion Stephanie playing decently and getting all three DDs, a huge advantage. Hard to judge her two DJ bets; one of those murky situations where she is within range of the lead and perhaps assumed (wrongly, in this case) that she could outplay the challenger.

First game of the season where I didn't get a single LT, although FJ was an instaget.

Not a fan of desiring of not accepting "too many cooks in the kitchen", as it's a commonly used expression, too.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], dinghammer, Google [Bot], guessonguessonguess and 12 guests