Thursday, November 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
IronNeck wrote:the one that caught my eye was the TS "war" for "Japanese History" at $400. This is the same category that had the much easier "Meiji Restoration" for $1600, and laugher "Shogun" for $1200.
Shogun probably should have been the $400, but I thought war was easier than Meiji simply because an educated guess could have led you to war, whereas you'd need to know about the Meiji Restoration.
Personally, "war" was the furthest thing from my mind on that clue, given Japan's hyper-militaristic history. I genuinely didn't know it either, unlike 90% of Jeopardy clues on Japanese history.

Edit- And props to those that knew that clue about Japan's constitution outright. That's impressive.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

IronNeck wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
IronNeck wrote:the one that caught my eye was the TS "war" for "Japanese History" at $400. This is the same category that had the much easier "Meiji Restoration" for $1600, and laugher "Shogun" for $1200.
Shogun probably should have been the $400, but I thought war was easier than Meiji simply because an educated guess could have led you to war, whereas you'd need to know about the Meiji Restoration.
Personally, "war" was the furthest thing from my mind on that clue, given Japan's hyper-militaristic history. I genuinely didn't know it either, unlike 90% of Jeopardy clues on Japanese history.

Edit- And props to those that knew that clue about Japan's constitution outright. That's impressive.
After WWII that was kind of one of the top priorities of the Americans in charge of writing postwar Japan's constitution.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Turkey and quail are the only edible new world birds that resemble a peacock that I can recall. Probably would have guessed turkey any day of the year.